Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: illegible parlor guitar label

Default Re: illegible parlor guitar label

I guess better late than never. Here's the parlor I started the thread about. whoever took the top off cut the finger board off too.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	phone 2 21 19 010.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	512.8 KB 
ID:	175015Click image for larger version. 

Name:	phone 2 21 19 019.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	2.49 MB 
ID:	175016

2. The following members say thank you to David Houchens for this post:

Heres the top. Once a ladder brace, someone tried half hearted to X brace it.
    It also was originally a floating bridge with a tailpiece.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	phone 2 21 19 017.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	569.1 KB 
ID:	175017Click image for larger version. 

Name:	phone 2 21 19 019.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	2.49 MB 
ID:	175018

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to David Houchens For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEdgerton View Post
    I'm guessing it was cheaper to build with the floating bridge than to accurately place and install the pin bridge. My first thought was that pin bridges may have come at a much later time but apparently Martin was already using them in the 1820's.
    I guess that having a Tailpiece also allows this instrument to be strung w/ Steel strings cause it'll relieve tension from the top.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Mando View Post
    I think that is a good approach, Allen. Just tune to pitch when needed, then slack off. aka the "bow and arrow" principle!

Some of us will remember in the 60's, 12-string acoustics were recommended to be tuned to C# and capoed for standard. Most of those old 12 strings were "over-tuned" as time went on. Also, even before that, a lot of the Leadbelly-era stuff took advantage of the lower tuning and the resulting overtones, droning, distortion, etc. -- used to good effect, IMHO.
    However w/ Super Light 12 Strings you can tune up to E Standard due to their super low tension.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by allenhopkins View Post
    I have a no-name, X-braced parlor guitar with a pin bridge that several people have estimated to be c. 1860. I have used silk-and-steel XL strings on it since I obtained it 30 or so years ago, as an instrument usable for historical programs I do.

However, I take the string tension down to "floppy" and leave it there whenever I'm not actually playing it. I know it was built for gut strings (and I'd love to know who was copying C F Martin's bracing pattern back around the Civil War), but so far it's taken the sporadic extra tension of the silk-and-steels without any damage.

It's a gutsy little instrument; I had a replica "pyramid" bridge installed after I purchased it for $50; the old bridge was missing, but the holes in the top testified to the fact that it was a pin bridge.
    How about Thomastik KR116 Rope Core Strings?

GHS makes a thin core string with low tension. I use them for ladder braced guitars/ The lowest set is 99lbs. for the set. They also make them in 12 string sets. These are a little less tension than their silk and steel.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!