Thread: Dillon Mandolin re-wire?

Default Dillon Mandolin re-wire?

Has anyone attempted to disassemble a Dillon electric mandolin?

I have one for rewiring / new pickup fitting and I can't for the life of me figure out how to access the pots. I had naively assumed that the pots would just about slip out through the F-holes, but no joy. Indeed as one is a rather large push-pull pot I can't see how it would ever come out

Is it at all conceivable that the electrics are fitted prior to the top going on and finishing? I can't imagine that would be the case but at present I can't see how else the parts could be got inside there!

Thanks in advance, John.

Default Re: Dillon Mandolin re-wire?

Which one is it? If it's the ES-335 shaped one, they probably installed it all through the pickup cavity. I use a piece of vinyl tubing to do this kind of thing. I push the tubing through the hole for the pot, find it through the F-hole or other access point, then jam the pot into the tubing, which can then pull it into place. Fun times.

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Jacobson View Post
    Which one is it? If it's the ES-335 shaped one, they probably installed it all through the pickup cavity. I use a piece of vinyl tubing to do this kind of thing. I push the tubing through the hole for the pot, find it through the F-hole or other access point, then jam the pot into the tubing, which can then pull it into place. Fun times.
    Thanks Marty - but it wasn't done that way - there's just a small hole (pickup wire sized) connecting the pickup cavity to the switch cavity.

Since I posted, I've managed to wriggle the volume pot out by disconnecting a few things in-situ, and that may be enough to do what I need. The push-pull tone pot though I see no way out for!

Quote Originally Posted by Tavy View Post
    Thanks Marty - but it wasn't done that way - there's just a small hole (pickup wire sized) connecting the pickup cavity to the switch cavity.

Since I posted, I've managed to wriggle the volume pot out by disconnecting a few things in-situ, and that may be enough to do what I need. The push-pull tone pot though I see no way out for!
    They got it in there some how, and you're probably smarter than whoever put it in there. I don't think the finish guys would like to deal with electronics inside when they're finishing, so I doubt that's how it went in.

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Jacobson View Post
    They got it in there some how, and you're probably smarter than whoever put it in there.
    LOL, maybe, but getting a ship out of a bottle is harder than putting it in

I don't think the finish guys would like to deal with electronics inside when they're finishing, so I doubt that's how it went in.
    I'm sure that's true. In any case I managed to extract enough to do what was needed. Still don't know how they got that push-pull pot in there though!

Quote Originally Posted by Tavy View Post
    In any case I managed to extract enough to do what was needed. Still don't know how they got that push-pull pot in there though!

A little pushing and some pulling........
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

7. The following members say thank you to pops1 for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by pops1 View Post
    A little pushing and some pulling........
    And maybe a bit of pot?

9. The following members say thank you to Marty Jacobson for this post:

Well I'm glad we finally got that figured out.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!