Thread: About To Finish My First Build

Default About To Finish My First Build

I am getting close to being able to start finishing my first build. I have decided on lacquer after toying with the idea of varnish. My question(s) is what are the communities thoughts on Behlen products in general and any advantages to the spray can versions of their Stringed Instrument lacquer and sealer vs the brush on versions (It would still be sprayed)? Is the sealer necessary or recommended? Thanks!
    Last edited by Willem; Feb-06-2019 at 5:06am.

Default Re: About To Finish My First Build

I've only used rattle can nitro from ReRanch. Great product, but my post is really this, if you spray nitro, or laquer of any kind, buy a respirator and use it. You only have one pair of lungs.

But wanting to try something else, I used a product called Royal Lac, a laquer with added polymers. I wiped on the sealer and base coats, then French polished the top. Not wanting a high gloss, my final sand was 1200 grit. Worked great and was easier to me than sanding the laquer surface flat, but laquer should give a high gloss if that is where you are going.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

3. The following members say thank you to Br1ck for this post:

Willem 

I don't know why anyone would use nitrocellulose lacquer in 2019, unless they specifically want to make it check for relicking purposes.

Behlen is a well respected brand with years in the trade. Choosing lacquer is a different question, but I would not shy away from it. Many instruments are finished in lacquer and don’t check after years of service. Some do check, often the result of improper handling.

I would apply whatever choice you make according to the product/vendor protocol. They want you to succeed.
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

6. The following members say thank you to Bill McCall for this post:

Willem 

Quote Originally Posted by Willem View Post
    I am getting close to being able to start finishing my first build. I have decided on lacquer after toying with the idea of varnish. My question(s) is what are the communities thoughts on Behlen products in general and any advantages to the spray can versions of their Stringed Instrument lacquer and sealer vs the brush on versions (It would still be sprayed)? Is the sealer necessary or recommended? Thanks!
    It’s purdy exciting that you’re finishing up. I used Zinnser sealer for my first build. It worked purdy good. I rubbed about 14 coats of Tru-oil over that and it still looks good.
    Whatever YOU choose will work fine. You will love it when you get ‘er dunn! I’m dyin’ to see your photos!

8. The following members say thank you to Lappy for this post:

Willem 

Correction alert. Royal Lac is shellac not laquer. Brain fart.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

10. The following members say thank you to Br1ck for this post:

Willem 

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Jacobson View Post
    I don't know why anyone would use nitrocellulose lacquer in 2019, unless they specifically want to make it check for relicking purposes.
    I would venture that nitro still has a lot to be said for it, environment and health notwithstanding It has to be done right, though, which isn't easy, and even more difficult with rattlecans...

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to amowry For This Useful Post:

While the mandolin world has less demand for nitro, the guitar wold is very happy paying a substantial upcharge for real nitrocellulose finished like they did back in the glory days....

I use nitro, oil varnish, spirit varnish, waterbased finishes, and some others. I spray, I handrub, I slam my head into the shop wall in frustrations countless times for infinite reasons. It just depends on the job and the customer.

Whatever finish you choose, your first instrument will challenge you beyond description. Of all things building, a good finish is the most difficult to achieve. Pick one, make plenty of practice runs on scrap, and then stick with it. Probably the worst thing you can do is solicit advice on the internet where folks will encourage you to mix and match several different materials and processes, usually quite unsuccessfully...

You can always outsource the finish work. Send it to Matt Eady in Athens, Ga. and the finish will stand confidently to the best in the business.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to j. condino For This Useful Post:

amowryWillem 

Thanks for the input everyone! I am committed to the nitro finish on this one. I have worked with lacquer just not on an instrument. I went with the Behlen's and Trans-Tint for the dyes. I will play with varnish for future builds for sure. Matt Ruhland has also given me some helpful hints and feedback in the last couple days away from the interwebs. I certainly have had some head bang worthy challenges thus far. It has been rewarding to overcome the challenges.