Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best chop around $1000

Default Re: Best chop around $1000

I was just looking at how WSM played especially the different right hand positions between chops and solos. You can see the chop best at 0:50 and solo at 1:15.

Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

I mean I certainly can improve my chop but I've definitely noticed the quality of the chop varies from the mandos I've played.

3. The following members say thank you to jaybp30 for this post:

brose 

I picked up one of those The Loar 520s' off ebay for about $300 and free shipping with a finish blemish. Didn't have much chop or volume till I stripped all that bullet proof thick poly off the top. Now it's got a great chop and volume. Better than some $1000 or more mandos I've heard and played and owned. It's a pretty good mando for what I payed and I wasn't too afraid to strip it for that price. I only stripped the top down to the sealer clear coat. It's amazing how that thing opened up. It had good chop before, but it just wasn't coming out as all the thick poly was dampening it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rag Mandolins View Post
    I picked up one of those The Loar 520s' off ebay for about $300 and free shipping with a finish blemish. Didn't have much chop or volume till I stripped all that bullet proof thick poly off the top. Now it's got a great chop and volume. Better than some $1000 or more mandos I've heard and played and owned. It's a pretty good mando for what I payed and I wasn't too afraid to strip it for that price. I only stripped the top down to the sealer clear coat. It's amazing how that thing opened up. It had good chop before, but it just wasn't coming out as all the thick poly was dampening it.
    What did you use the strip it and and then what finish (if any) did to put on afterwards?

I recently picked up a Kentucky KM900 from the classifieds below your price point and it has an excellent chop. Great bark and projection, I was pleasantly surprised by the overall quality of the instrument.

I’d say if looking for a new instrument look into a well setup Eastman md-515 or a Loar LM-700vs the newer The Loars I’ve played the finish isn’t as thick as it used to be and they have a darker more traditional bluegrass chop the Eastman is definitely not modern sounding. My current chop is a Eastman md-815 but I’ve played some md-315 with just as much chop power or better than much more expensive instruments. Or check the used market a lot to be had for that price especially if you don’t mind an A Style.
    Hardwick Bluetone banjo, old Washburn b16 with an rb250 tone ring
    Custom Martin D28, and D45
    Tyler White #12, Eastman MD 815cs, Austin AU657 beater mandolin
    Several violins, eletric guitars, piano, Suzuki bluesmaster harmonica set, and my Dads old trombone from high school.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveGinNJ View Post
    What did you use the strip it and and then what finish (if any) did to put on afterwards?
    To strip it, I used a semi-soft sanding disc with I think 220 grit stick on paper on my bench top drill press. Drill press was set at low rpms. I sanded off the finish where I could get to with the disc just down to the clear coat. Under the finger board ext. and around the curl I used a pocket knife, scraping it. Then after doing this I resanded by hand to remove any swirl marks and whatever, still leaving a thin layer of clear coat for protection. I did go the bare wood by mistake in a couple spots. I left it a blonde top. It sounds great, so I'll leave it.
    I also took the finish off the back of neck.

Thinking about this more, I'm thinking of a Mando chop like it was a snare drum. I like a deeper snare sound, likewise for mandolin. It is the lo mids that make a Gibson chop sound great. So I think it is a low end resonance, plus a live top for volume that makes for a good chop.

It is the low end that for me separates the imports from the US builds. Kudos to the master Kentuckys for getting close.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

This just landed in the classifieds......

https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/135566#135566

NFI
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

Since you said "around" 1000 that means you can go a couple hundred more or less. You may have to wait on a used one, but the high end Kentucky models KM900, KM950, KM1000 or KM1050 would be hard to beat. I'm an F style picker so would go for the 1000 or 1050 but those 900's pace plenty of punch too. They look professional with great quality and finish for the dollar.

Just posted in classifieds, KM 1000 for 1000. Can't go wrong.

Seems like the classifieds has had a bunch of interesting F styles in the sub 2k range lately. If I can put a great sounding kit together, some of these never heard of them hand crafted mandolins could be great finds.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

[QUOTE=Br1ck;1701946]Just posted in classifieds, KM 1000 for 1000. Can't go wrong.

You beat me to it..........https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/135588#135588
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings