Thread: Sand-flee

Default Sand-flee

Has anyone used one of the Sand-Flee or Flatmaster sanders to flatten the inside of mandolin plates?

Default Re: Sand-flee

It'll work. Worth $900 for the Sand-Flee? Definitely not. Only the rim of the plate needs to be flat, and you can do that with sandpaper on a tablesaw top or something for basically free. It's not a lot of sanding. They'd also be handing for flattening up sides after gluing on linings, but again, not worth the cost of a great bandsaw or similar big purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Jacobson View Post
    It'll work. Worth $900 for the Sand-Flee? Definitely not. Only the rim of the plate needs to be flat, and you can do that with sandpaper on a tablesaw top or something for basically free. It's not a lot of sanding. They'd also be handing for flattening up sides after gluing on linings, but again, not worth the cost of a great bandsaw or similar big purchase.
    Thanx Marty! I really wanted a 12” jointer, but don’t really have the extra room. I went ahead with the purchase($350 used with sandpaper ). I was wondering if I might pick your brain sometime about CNC. I bought a used Chinese 6040 machine that had upgraded electronics. I’ve been fooling with Fusion360 a little. I don’t really have the time at this point to get spend endless months trying to program it to do mandolin plates. However, I would like to be able to cut the outline of the plates and go around the perimeter, leaving a 1/2” wide 1/4” tall ledge. Also could I map it to machine holes in the top to proper carving depth, without getting “too” involved? And holes for the starting and ending points of the f holes? All this would be on an a style mandolin. It would really be nice not to have to drill the topo map on the plates with a drill press. Thanx

I have a basic mandolin plate modeled in Fusion 360. I did it as a test to see if it would be worth switching to. Programming it is not that hard once you have the shape modeled (admittedly not that straighttforward, but I have a couple methodologies for fast solid modeling of arched plates pretty well figured out).
    Send me an an email and I will share the file with you, you can modify as you see fit. I can program some tool paths, too, so you can see how I'd go about setting up what would basically duplicate the functionality of a dupli-carver through CNC.
    Took me about $30,000 in time to get my first mandolin plate tool paths set up... I've gotten quite a bit faster now, haha.