Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: The end of my playing days.

Default Re: The end of my playing days.

Ivan, I have always enjoyed thoughtful and incisive posts, and I can't help thinking think you would be giving the same advice you've gotten here. Hang in there. Stay strong. Don't give up hope. Music heals.

Sending light and positive thoughts.
    mandomurph

Joyful pickin'!

Ivan I'm so sorry to hear this - but as others have said - don't sell up just yet! At the very least keep hold of one instrument: there will always be down time when you will feel the need, even if you don't feel it right now, today.

Please do keep us informed how things are going - believe me when I say that you're a much valued member of these forums, and we would be happy to have you around, whether you're playing or not.

Mr. Ivan,
    Whenever I open up the Café and see a post that interest me, I look for your opinion and advice first. You are insightful and very thoughtful with your responses. That being said:

Cancer is a wicked monstrosity that can make mortals out of heroes but there are treatments and cures that continually improve our chances of surviving and enjoying our frivolous pursuits. Sort out your emotions and take a step away from separating precious things/objects into a pile to be disbursed. Family, church, community, and music are great healers along with your health care givers.

I look forward to many more of your excellent posts.

Prayers and well wishes for you and your family!

I'm stuck for words my friend. I hope the diagnosis is incorrect and we still get the pleasure of your banter here on M/C.

My best wishes to you and yours at this uncertain time. Peter (G7MOF)
    I never fail at anything, I just succeed at doing things that never work....

Fylde Touchstone Walnut Mandolin.
    Gibson Alrite Model D.

Worlds ok-ist mando playr Zach Wilson's Avatar

This was not easy to read. I'm sorry to hear this.

I'm hoping the best for you.

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

Hang in there Ivan! Bum news for sure. I too enjoy your voice on the fora.

Medical reasons have knocked the wind out of my mandolin sails too. That for another post. In the meahwhile, peace to you and those with you.

f-d
    ˇpapá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

Very sorry to hear this Ivan, shocking news indeed. Perhaps you will find comfort in your favorite mando so keep one and I will keep you in my prayers.
    Northfield F5M #268, AT02 #7

Ivan, Your contributions are a big part of the Mandolin Café. I sure hope that you will continue to check in with us here at the café. I will be praying for you and your family.

Adam

As others have said, try to stay positive in these difficult times. Take it day by day and appreciate what good there is out there. Keep your Ellis! I've read many posts about your Ellis and know that it has brought you a lot of joy over the years. Take the time you need to deal with this and I hope to see you posting again when you see fit.

Positive light and vibes your way

John
    ... not all those who wander are lost ...

I'm sure such news would change anyone's interest in playing, but I hope you will persist and find enjoyment in some of the tunes you have played for years, or maybe learn a new tune. I have enjoyed your posts and wish you the best.
    -Newtonamic

As a new mandolin player of 6 months or so, I've seen what an important figure in this community you are. I've seen the people you've helped as well as myself. Thank you. I truly hope, and believe, you'll play again. Will be truly, fervently praying for you each day.
    Just me and my Eastman MD315!
    And we're hungry to learn

My friend was told there was a 95% chance he had lung cancer, after the doc found a spot on his lung on an xray. Guess what, the 5% chance prevailed and he is live and kicking. Try not to "borrow trouble," if you can, and please keep us posted. As noted, there are many effective treatments nowadays.
    "The paths of experimentation twist and turn through mountains of miscalculations, and often lose themselves in error and darkness!"
    --Leslie Daniel, "The Brain That Wouldn't Die."

Some tunes: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCa1...SV2qtug/videos

13. The following members say thank you to jaycat for this post:

Sorry to hear this news. Best wishes for a good report.
    Russ Jordan

Difficult news, and sometimes it's the uncertainty that is the hardest part. I'd keep two mandolins (at least). Your favorite to keep at home, and a "beater" (do you even have a beater?) to take to the hospital when you're having treatments if it comes to that.

Remember what Churchill said: "Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never—in nothing, great or small, large or petty—never give in..."

I'm praying that your tests bring good news, and also praying for you to have the strength to deal with whatever news you get. Please keep your music with you.

sorry to hear about this -- hoping for best outcomes and many years (and music) still ahead of you!
    --------------------------------
    1920 Lyon & Healy bowlback
    1923 Gibson A-1 snakehead
    1952 Strad-o-lin
    1983 Giannini ABSM1 bandolim
    2009 Giannini GBSM3 bandolim
    2011 Eastman MD305

===========

An old mandolin buddy of mine (who was in his 70's at the time) was struck with lung cancer after a life of non-smoking - and he made it though. Be assured of my many prayers and keep positive.

So sorry to hear that Ivan. I had prostate cancer in 2005 but still here and healthy now (I hope) so fingers crossed that things may turn out better than you are forecasting.

Jimmy

Ivan - I can relate - I have had lung cancer. Surgery and stereotactic radiation removed the culprit for now. So hang on to those instruments. I still have and enjoy mine as much as ever. You can do this! Scary, yes, but doable. Best wishes...

20. The following members say thank you to Jonathan Reinhardt for this post:

Blog Entries

Ivan. Let me say I hope they're wrong. But I admire your courage. There's more to life than any mandolin. Ok, maybe not much more but still more.

Always took the time to read your posts. Much respect. Especially your love for Tom's A5 - which we share.
    The best to you and sending my thoughts and wishes your way!! Brothers in music..

Mark

Hi Ivan,

So sorry for what you are going through. You are a good friend to all of us and I have certainly enjoyed our conversations here and by PM. As others have said, please don't sell off all your instruments. Music is so therapeutic on so many levels. You have a whole community here pulling for you. Music can help if hard times lie ahead. Please keep in touch. We are here for you.

Best wishes,

Bob
    Purr more, hiss less. Barn Cat Mandolins Photo Album

So sorry to hear that Ivan. I had prostate cancer in 2005 but still here and healthy now (I hope) so fingers crossed that things may turn out better than you are forecasting.

Jimmy

Ivan,
    All I can say is that I wish the best to you, wherever this journey may take you. I don't know how I would deal with news like that, but I guess all that any of us can do is to take it day by day.

Good Luck
    A quarter tone flat and a half a beat behind.

Ivan
    sorry to hear of your health issues. definitely like driving into a block wall for sure. as others mentioned, treatments are better and the outcome is more positive for many people.
    will keep you in my prayers bro, will put you on our church prayer list, we have around 150 prayer warriors. prayer trumps everything.

as others mentioned, I'd hang on to one of something. the day may come it will help with the return of your joy.
    d

Ivan,
    As we all have said ... i'm sorry about the news and will hold you in my thoughts and prayers. And i'd like to echo what Bob said in post #64 ... hang onto a mandolin or two. A dear friend of mine going through his cancer treatments kept a mandolin and to make it easier on him he removed the second string in each course and went to a lighter gauge. It helped him immensely.
    Ryk
    mandolin ~ guitar ~ banjo

"I'm convinced that playing well is not so much a technique as it is a decision. It's a commitment to do the work, strive for concentration, get strategic about advancing by steps, and push patiently forward toward the goal." Dan Crary

Ivan,

Hang in there, keep your spirits up. We're all pulling for you. I know playing music helps me. I hope you keep at least one mandolin. The banjos can go.

Don
    2010 Heiden A5, 2020 Pomeroy oval A, 2013 Kentucky KM1000 F5, 2012 Girouard A Mandola w ff holes, 2001 Old Wave A oval octave
    http://HillbillyChamberMusic.bandcamp.com
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/@hillbillychambermusic