Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: The end of my playing days.

Default Re: The end of my playing days.

My prayers are with you my friend ! Don’t give up !

So sorry to hear the news but praying that you have a good diagnosis and outcome.

Stay strong brother!

Sending prayers and healing energy.

Very sorry to read this. Please keep us all posted, and wishing you the best !

I'm praying for you Sir.

Dem

That's tough news, Ivan. As others have said, let's hope the doctors have it wrong. In either case, I hope you find comfort in friends, family, music, all the best things in life.

Will be thinking of you and praying for you daily.

Good luck, my friend.

Sorry to hear your sad news, Ivan. Let me add to the chorus of support for you, and urge you to consider holding on to at least one instrument. You might find that it gives you some comfort in the coming time--and may it be a long time, at that. And as Warren Zevon advised, "Enjoy every sandwich."
    Just one guy's opinion
    www.guitarfish.net

Mandolin or not, we are thinking of you.

Ivan, sorry to hear the news. I hope you have a full and speedy recovery. Maybe you should hold on to one of your mandolins. Music has amazing curative properties for the mind and body.
    Best,
    Al

Hello, Ivan. I am sorry to hear of your medical issues, but remain hopeful that you have many years of picking ahead of you.

My first wish, of course, is that the biopsy is OK. But let me tell you this story from November 2017.

A very good friend of mine was diagnosed with lung cancer. His situation was not good. Luckily, his local physician in York, Pennsylvania referred him to Johns Hopkins Cancer Center in Baltimore Maryland. Johns Hopkins is highly regarded and is often described as being at the forefront of the latest medical procedures.

I am not a scientist and I do not know the exact terminology for what transpired, but as it was related to me, the Hopkins doctors gave my friend specific medicine which marked his specific type of cancer cells. A second type of medicine was then given to him which directed his immune system to target these marked cancer cells. After several treatments, the tumor was seen to be decreasing in size. In about three months' time, and after a few more treatments, the doctor told him that they could no longer find any evidence that the tumor had ever existed.

You will continue to be in my thoughts and prayers. Best of luck as you defeat this condition.

Ivan,
    I am saddened to hear that you have been threatened by the big C. I hope it is not such, and is benign.
    I have experienced the stress of my dear wife facing agressive breast cancer. She was able to find a remarkable medical team that cared for her and provided her with treatment that has put the cancer in remission.
    If you do turn out to have cancer, please know the love of many is with you. And, if it is cancer, may all your days be blessed with the joy of family and friends. May that joy hopefully provide the cure for you.
    My thought tonight are with you.
    Eric Hanson
    Click #016/ Born on 2/29/08 - Sold to the next Conservator of this great mandolin!
    The search has ceased! (At least for now)
    Collings A-Style
    White #29R : Oh my!! This one is so AWESOME!!

So sorry to hear this Ivan, it's always been good to know you even though it's only online, I really hope things turn out well.

Dave
    Eastman 615 mandola
    2011 Weber Bitteroot A5
    2012 Weber Bitteroot F5
    Eastman MD 915V
    Gibson F9
    2016 Capek ' Bob ' standard scale tenor banjo
    Ibanez Artist 5 string
    2001 Paul Shippey oval hole

Hello folks - Right now it's a struggle - the ''don't really know or understand'' days. Until i have my biopsy on 11th Feb.,& find out the result on 14th Feb,it's cruelly worrying. The reality of the situation hit my wife,Shirley,a couple of nights ago,& she just collapsed !. That was immensely distressing to see. She's come through it & is supporting me in trying to get through each day,but it's the 'not knowing' & the time it takes to get things done that's the real hardship - everyday seems to last for ever.

My sincere & heartfelt thanks to all of you for your good wishes & kind thoughts,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ivan Kelsall For This Useful Post:

Hi Ivan
    Thanks for your email. The simple answer is that you don’t know and I fully appreciate that not knowing is the worst part.

You will remember my “episode”; nearly five yeras ago now. They scanned me and decided it was some sort of tumour. The doctor told my wife that if they operated they may be able to do something but if they didn’t I wouldn’t survive the following day. They operated, found something completely different and I’m still here.

Don’t do anything now that you might regret in the future.

P.S. “she who must be obeyed” has since made me list all my instruments and their values in case she survives me!

Blog Entries

Ivan,

This is truly horrible news. I'm very sorry you have to go through this.

Scaling back and focusing isn't a bad idea, but I agree with others. I would keep a favourite instrument.

I wish you the best possible outcome in the weeks ahead.

Daniel

Hi Ray - Re. 'the future' - i might not have a very long one,but i don't yet know. So - i'm taking care of the present & ridding myself of all my instruments. If i survive,then i think i'll take up the one instrument style that i never really got stuck into - fingerstyle Blues guitar. I can get a decent Takamine parlour sized guitar for £200,it'll do.

I've just advertised my 2005 Japanese built Tokai Breezysound elec.guitar & the Roland Blues Cube BC 30 watt amp on UK Gumtree. They're in 100% MINT condition - ( pardon the pics.),
    Ivan
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Japanese built Tokai Breeezysound.JPG 
Views:	112 
Size:	320.1 KB 
ID:	174609Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Breezysound Back.JPG 
Views:	122 
Size:	317.9 KB 
ID:	174610Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Roland Blues Cube BC 30.JPG 
Views:	115 
Size:	317.5 KB 
ID:	174611
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Adrian Minarovic

Sad to hear that Ivan. Our thoughts are with you.
    Just side note, our neighbor had similar (well almost exactly like yours) diagnosis right before christmas. He decided to go home for holidays and not stay at hospital (didn't even tell about the diagnosis to his wife) but his illness got worse so I drove him back to hospital the day after christmas. But finally there was happy end as the biopsy revealed he had just really bad case of pneumonia with some ugly things in lungs. He is back home now and quit smoking.
    Adrian

All the best Ivan.
    - Jeremy

Wot no catchphrase?

I'm truly, truly sorry to hear this.
    I know of another person who contracted lung cancer and never smoked in her life.

Concentrate on getting better but stop in to tell us how your doing.

Peace,
    -Jim
    Doc Ivory
    -Play loud, live long..

Hope things turn towards a better and more positive prognosis for you Ivan. Wishing you the best.
    Your inspiring posts have really been appreciated. Try to stay in contact!
    Best Wishes and we are all praying for you,
    Barry

Ivan, I'm not a frequent poster (mostly playing guitar these days) but I do check in and always enjoy your posts. Praying for the best possible outcome. My dad was diagnosed with stage 3 lung cancer in 2015, also a lifelong nonsmoker. After surgery, chemo, and radiation, he's cancer free and about his daily business almost 4 years later. He's retired so "business" is not that demanding, but you get the idea. All that to say whatever the initial diagnosis, the end result can be good. Don't give up and please check in here when you can. We're all friends even though we may never meet.

Ivan, I'm sorry to hear about this news and, especially, the impact it is having on your wife. It was good to see your response earlier today, though, and know you're still in the forums. We're praying for you in this household!
    "If your memories exceed your dreams, you have begun to die." - Anonymous

Peace. Love. Mandolin. Gelsenbury's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Ivan, please accept my best wishes too. It will take a lot of strength, but you will find it.