Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 8910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: The end of my playing days.

Default Re: The end of my playing days.

That's a tough old journey, Ivan, but thanks for sharing it with us. Sending you all the best wishes from out here in sunny California. Here's hoping that your sense of taste, hair, and yen to play music come back stronger than ever when you hit the other side.
    Just one guy's opinion
    www.guitarfish.net

2. The following members say thank you to Paul Kotapish for this post:

Blog Entries

My dad had a few bouts with thrush in his treatment. Chemo brain is a real thing. So much stress and so much new information coming at you so fast. I get it.

Try and eat when you can no matter the taste. Hopefully that and the pleasure will come back. Appetite stimulants may not be out of the question as well. ask your doc. Keeping you in my thoughts.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

Hi Folks - The last couple of days 'food-wise' have been truly lousy. My sense of taste is slowly coming back (at times !),but the texture of food seems to have taken a nose dive. All but the very softest,smoothest of foods tastes awful. I made myself a really nice sandwich 2 days ago,but the texture of the bread felt like a mouthfull of straw & the Tuna filling wasn't much better. It seems the soups & soft pasta might be the way forward !!,
    Regards - Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ivan Kelsall For This Useful Post:

Ol' Andy - SillyMoustache

Hi Ivan, I changed strings on my Lebeda today - first time in over a year(!) and it took me some time, so having a mug of tea and a sit down. All the time I was messing around with my Lebeda, I was thinking of you.
    You may remember that I was diagnosed with tongue cancer in January 2017. and had radio and chemo from april to mid may - six weeks in all.
    They warned my of side and after effects, and I seem to have had "acquisition syndrome" for these as well as guitars and such!.

I well remember the thrush attacks and the filthy feelings in my mouth. I added to the fun by biting my tongue in two for a while.

It has taken me a long time and such treatment IS life changing, but things DO get better. I lost all my salva glands and almost all of my taste buds but things are getting better, if not as they were.

Because of the problem of eating - (I lost 3 stone (over 40lbs) I was given supplies of stuff called FRESUBIN - a milk shake like fluid that gives you all the nourishment you need. They also have "extra "shots" which are best mixed in with the main little bottles of the stuff. Enquire about this - NHS supplied and delivered to my door monthly, and the easiest way to take in nourishment.
    also , of course lots of water, I used and still do bottled water and orange juice.

I've been eating better this year and things ARE improving.
    Keep the faith, and let me know how you get on.

I just looked at Trevor's site and see that your Lebeda sold pretty Quickly - hope you got what you wanted for it.
    Is the Weber Fern no sale thee yours?

Anyway, just like when we had to work for a living - sometimes you just have to wade through all the .... there IS another side!

All the best my friend! (who I've never met!)

ol' Andy.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Silly Moustache For This Useful Post:

Pulling for you Ivan. Many of your innumerable contributions to the forum have personally inspired me and have helped me wade my way through the expansive mando universe (mandoverse?), and have proven to be a real boon to my musical endeavors over the years. We corresponded here a bit years back via PM about a Lebeda A5 that I owned at the time, and you were so kind and generous to share some valuable info and advice with me, and your experiences with your own Lebeda. Grateful for your presence here on the Cafe and wish you peace and courage in your healing journey.

Adam
    *¯`•.☽☆☾¸.•´¯*

Hi All - Many thanks for your continued moral support,& once again,my thanks to Scott T.for allowing this thread to continue. I've been a member for 13 years & you folks are almost 'family' inasmuch as i 'talked' to you every day during that period.

Andy - My Lebeda "Special" was alway my go-to mandolin for Bluegrass music. It was truly superb. A tad larger than a 'standard; mandolin,but that's what gave it the lovely bottom end it has. I hope that it's new owner looks after it.

Re. my Weber "Fern" - Trevor at TAMCO has it for sale on consignment. I don't know if the one in his 'used' ad. is supposed to be mine - but it isn't. This is mine - see pics.
    Mine has a MOP Truss rod cover made for Weber by Bryan England's MOP Co.,& is much darker all over.

Adam - I remember 'speaking' to you very well. A good Lebeda mandolin,especially if it's one made by Jiri himself,as mine was,is a truly superb instrument.

Co.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Weber_Mandolin_Photos__2_009__Medium_.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	50.7 KB 
ID:	175998Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Weber Fern.JPG 
Views:	163 
Size:	107.3 KB 
ID:	175999Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Weber Mandolin Photos #2 010.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	170.9 KB 
ID:	176000Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Weber Fern - 2.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	237.1 KB 
ID:	176001
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ivan Kelsall For This Useful Post:

Hi Ivan,

I hope you are well, the new photos are listed now.
    Trevor
    Formerly of The Acoustic Music Co (TAMCO) Brighton England now retired.

It’s been a little while. I hope you are doing better.

Bob

13. The following members say thank you to re simmers for this post:

Ivan I'm truly sorry learn of your troubles and my thoughts and prayers are with you. You have been most generous with your time and assistance on matters and it was very much appreciated.
    Pete

Lots of us pulling for you Ivan. Respecting your wishes re emails etc. Chime in when you can and let us know how thing are going.
    "I play BG so that's what I can talk intelligently about." A line I loved and pirated from Mandoplumb

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FLATROCK HILL For This Useful Post:

Hi folks - This is more or less due to a prompt by Trevor at TAMCO UK,whom,apparently has been fielding a few enquiries about my current health. As much of a gentleman & & all round nice guy that Trevor is,he shouldn't have to do that - so here goes,straight from the victim's mouth.

Firstly - My Chemotherapy didn't work. I suspect because my cancer was caught too late in the day for it to fully respond to treatment,although Mesothelioma is very difficult to treat anyway,even if caught early. So - my current situation is that i'm on meds. to treat any pain & breathlessness that i have. They seem to be working ok,but as per usual,every day is different. How long i'll survive is anybody's guess. At the moment i'm keeping myself occupied with my all time favourite hobby - reading.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank anybody who has made an enquiry re.my health - ''Tis Sweet To Be Remembered'',& please believe me,that i sincerely miss all you good & kind people more that i can express. However - that's the way it goes & we have no control over it.

I'm not going to speculate about my future (LOL !!),just take it as it comes & support my wife as much as she supports me in the upcoming weeks / months etc.,
    God bless all of you - Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

18. The Following 43 Users Say Thank You to Ivan Kelsall For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Thanks for getting back Ivan.

You have great spirit. I am sure you will go on for longer than many of us.
    Trevor
    Formerly of The Acoustic Music Co (TAMCO) Brighton England now retired.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to trevor For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Bless you my friend! I'll continue to pray and you'll be in my thoughts! No one knows what your going through unless they've been there themselves or from a loved one be it friend or family member. My Mother recently had two extremely rare cancers, Uncles and both of my Grandpas, Keep your head up and reach out to me anytime if you want to talk, you have my email, I know the guys in our little email group like Willie P. have been thinking of you a bunch, and often wanted to message you but feel you'll let them know things when your ready. Be as well as you can and take it easy! William "Billy" Smith

Only the best to you and yours Ivan.

Praying for peace and comfort, my friend!
    Chuck

Best to you Ivan! Thanks for sharing your knowledge with us for so many years.

Blog Entries

Thanks for thinking of us when you have so much to think about. We are certainly thinking about you.
    New to mando? Click this link -->Newbies to join us at the Newbies Social Group.

Just send an email to rob.meldrum@gmail.com with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and he will email you a copy of his ebook for free (free to all mandolincafe members).

My website and blog: honketyhank.com

Been wondering for quite a spell now how you are doing. Thanks for the update, we are all hoping and praying things change for the better for you. As I get older and my health declines, I now understand the saying, "every day is a gift". I will add "unwrap it slowly".
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Your open heart and open communication during this difficult period has been an inspiration to all of us.
    May the rest of your journey be filled with peace and comfort to you and your loved ones.
    Best Regards from the other side of the big pond,
    Barry

Thank you for the update, Ivan, I was also wondering how it was going with you. I'm sorry to hear that the therapy didn't work...
    All the best!
    Martin
    Mandolins: 1920s (?) Meinel & Herold Bowlback, 2006 Furch "Redwood MA-1" A5

Octaves: 2004 Fender FMO-66 Flat-Top, 2015 A. Karperien 5 String Electric

Banjos: 2007 Gold Tone IT-250F Irish Tenor, 1963 Vega Vox No. 1 Plectrum, 2016 Recording King RK-OT25 Clawhammer

Sorry to hear this Ivan. Wishing you much comfort and peace.
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

Thanks for the update, Ivan. I've often thought about how you might be doing. Wish your news could have been otherwise, but glad to hear your spirit is still strong. You might enjoy reading Rachel Joyce's The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry, if you haven't already -- a simple but empowering book.

God bless you, Ivan. Hang in there. Words fail here.

32. The following members say thank you to Caleb for this post:

Blog Entries

Ivan, So disappointing these days to not have your input as we would be better for it. Wishing you good times and your best moments in the near future. Thanks, Dan
    2014 BRW F5 #114
    2022 Kentucky KM 950 Master Model

YouTube Original Recording of My composition "Closer Walk"

Thinking of you, Ivan. Thanks for all your help and advice over the years.

Take care. John