Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First build: Scroll binding disaster

Default Re: First build: Scroll binding disaster

Quote Originally Posted by HoGo View Post
    Many modern makers are doing it similarly, though they have forms into which they fit the binding strips and then heat in oven and let cool so the shape relaxes in the bent position. Have a look at the Ellis web. There's a pic of that setup.
    Here's the jig, it looks like it would do it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ellis binding jig.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	41.3 KB 
ID:	174678  
    Cabin Fever String Band, Bill Gorby and the Musical Mercenaries

Adrian Minarovic

Quote Originally Posted by jim simpson View Post
    Here's the jig, it looks like it would do it.
    Yes, that's the one. You insert the binding with help of a heat gun and then into oven (be carefull celluloid self ignites at something like 140 degrees C). What you really need is just 100 degress C (boiling water)
    Also Collings uses similar and I think Girouard and few others as well. Some folks use just small forms for the scroll and the tighter curves and the rest is easy.
    Tom Ellis has another one (or modified the one in the picture, posted here or on his web few years ago) with magnetic hold downs (and perhaps also vacuum holding the pieces in the notches) which he puts into the CNC to trim the binding and cut exact miters at the ends. Of course he can do that as he cuts the binding channels around the mandolin on the CNC as well...
    Adrian

PEIMike,

I took off the spool clamps this morning and the tight turns held their shape. I guess I didn't heat the gentle curve as it didn't hold shape. It should be fine when I glue it all down. I use the brown binding tape.

Adrian,
    I like the illustrated template system, I'm thinking of making one for the tight scroll areas. I don't plan on any production work ahead but it would still be nice to be able to not struggle or get frustrated with this stage of a build. Thanks for emphasizing the burn point for celluloid. I have had binding flame on me when trying to shape with a mini belt sander.
    Cabin Fever String Band, Bill Gorby and the Musical Mercenaries

hey, I feel the pain, I hate binding, maybe , you could consider doing a non laminate binding such as tortiose, that would avoid you all the miters, as white to white, black to black, and on a fricken F, there isn't a 45 anywhere, don't give up
    Mike Marrs