Thread: Identify a Kentucky KM-1000

Default Identify a Kentucky KM-1000

Hi
    I have had this Kentucky KM-1000 for a number of years and wondering if anybody has a similar mandolin. The script on the headstock is different than most older KM-1000s. The lack of figured maple is unusual also.
    Wonder if any body has a similar serial number 009 04 that could help date it.

I have read ALL the Kentucky posts here and on numerouse sites so please don't posts links. Trust me I been there. I know Desert Rose is the expert but havn't seen him active for a while.

The pics should be viewable here:
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/nvzepdy4x...39Ral52Sa?dl=0

Default Re: Identify a Kentucky KM-1000

Wow. That serial number makes me think it goes way back. A couple of suggestions. Robert Fear at FolkMusician.com And Tony Molyneaux at Saga instruments. Saga has an Info email at their web site. I can't help but think that's a pretty early one from the serial number. Never seen one with so few numbers in it. Not sure how far back they made the KM-1000. Robert Fear is quite active here and Tony at Saga I've contacted in the past couple of years. Pictures usually help and you definitely have those.
    Ray Dearstone #009 D1A (1999)
    Skip Kelley #063 Offset Two Point (2017)
    Arches #9 A Style (2005)
    Bourgeois M5A (2022)
    Hohner and Seydel Harmonicas (various keys)

"Heck, Jimmy Martin don't even believe in Santy Claus!"

Thanks for the reply. I emailed Saga before and got some good info on an older KM 600. I will hit them tomorrow if I don't here soon.

Gummy Bears and Scotch BrianWilliam's Avatar

Your label resembles the “made in Japan” km-1500 I once owned. It was a good one

How does yours sound? Does it have a slim neck?

Sounds nice. A little more mellow than new KM-1000v I have. The newer 1000v neck is a lot narrower the the old one. I like the narrower neck. Do you know the year of the 1500 you had? Thanks for the reply.

Quote Originally Posted by Blewgrasser View Post
    Thanks for the reply. I emailed Saga before and got some good info on an older KM 600. I will hit them tomorrow if I don't here soon.
    As I said, also Robert Fear at folkmusician.com. He's a regular contributor here and in the past has been quite helpful with Kentucky mandolin ID.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by BrianWilliam View Post
    Your label resembles the “made in Japan” km-1500 I once owned. It was a good one

How does yours sound? Does it have a slim neck?
    I was going to guess Japan simply from the brief serial number.
    Ray Dearstone #009 D1A (1999)
    Skip Kelley #063 Offset Two Point (2017)
    Arches #9 A Style (2005)
    Bourgeois M5A (2022)
    Hohner and Seydel Harmonicas (various keys)

"Heck, Jimmy Martin don't even believe in Santy Claus!"

Gummy Bears and Scotch BrianWilliam's Avatar

Sounds nice. A little more mellow than new KM-1000v I have. The newer 1000v neck is a lot narrower the the old one. I like the narrower neck. Do you know the year of the 1500 you had? Thanks for the reply.
    I was told 1984 but also that the serial numbers of that era were not a definitive indicator of the year.

I am also going to say very early..... Past that I don't know. I can say that it is not an 04 or 09 vintage.
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

Always a pet subject of mine. I don't remember the year they really started making these. The earlier KM-1000 models all seem to have that "K" without the tail, and they appear in the advertisements that way too. Also From my experience lack of flame maple is more common than with flame in the KM-1000. Advertised features of the KM-1500 included nicer wood. Oddly the km850 factory mandolins had much prettier wood (just not "handmade"). I have seen some very plain maple on these KM-1000 s. Mine is bound just like yours. I purchased mine new in 1984 but it could be an 83 or earlier. It seems odd that mine also had the back seam open up (back in 1987) just like the one in your picture. I would say this one you have is earlier than mine partly because of the zeros in the serial number but don't put much stock in that. I don't play it much anymore but it s (or can be) a loud mandolin. A High saddle, J-74s, and a rounded pick edge (Dawg) always seemed to bring out the best sound.

Hi
    I have had this Kentucky KM-1000 for a number of years and wondering if anybody has a similar mandolin. The script on the headstock is different than most older KM-1000s. The lack of figured maple is unusual also.
    Wonder if any body has a similar serial number 009 04 that could help date it.

I have read ALL the Kentucky posts here and on numerouse sites so please don't posts links. Trust me I been there. I know Desert Rose is the expert but havn't seen him active for a while.

The pics should be viewable here:
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/nvzepdy4x...39Ral52Sa?dl=0
    I'm brand new to the site and just saw your post. Any luck? I'm currently looking at a KM-1000 ser# 009 02. It has a lack of figure maple also and came in a blue rectangle hard case.

Blue interior of the case, I assume. Was the interior crushed velvet or velour? I've seen some I thought were later 80s that had velour. Also as long as those inlays look exactly like the pics in the link I think it would be the same era. ( one piece lower flowerpot inlay). Too bad no one has the original receipts with these.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0428.JPG 
Views:	293 
Size:	159.1 KB 
ID:	175957Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0430.JPG 
Views:	247 
Size:	87.7 KB 
ID:	175958Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0434.JPG 
Views:	222 
Size:	98.1 KB 
ID:	175959Some pics Attachment 175956

Greetings, I have a collection of Made in Maruko, Japan Kentucky mandolin family instruments. Included are KM-1000 009 01 and 009 15 with others. In my opinion, 009 04 is crafted circa 1980. The instrument referenced in the OP apparently has the tailpiece cover replaced. The original engraved covers were silver plated as depicted in the post by TeleLesP 009 02 photos. My examples have non-figured strait grained maple backs, and are tonally stronger in the bass register when compared to later period models. Best, Sam
    Last edited by tryingtopick; Apr-11-2019 at 8:16pm.

14. The following members say thank you to tryingtopick for this post:

Sam you were spot on. Here is a photo, compliments of Joe from SAGA, that shows a KM-1000 from an Oct 80 issue of Frets. Thanks Jeff
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KM-1000-1981.jpg 
Views:	412 
Size:	403.9 KB 
ID:	176116  

Jeff, I had not seen this ad from 1980. Thanks for posting it. Also, notice the bordered style truss rod cover in the ad photo. This style of TR cover is fitted to 009 01 and 009 15 and also pictured on 009 04 and 009 02. This bordered cover disappeared in favor of the non-bordered style shortly after the apparent earliest KM-1000 examples. Best, Sam

My KM-1000 serial number is 212 09, purchased in '84 I don't think mine had the outlined truss rod cover, but I put a pearl one on it for years. But that is a very interesting point.

fun how Sam's mandos have 09 first and mine has it after. This makes me wonder if it was a mistake or a shift in the numbering system. Which could make mine the 212nd mandolin of the 09 series? Or maybe its just a numeric coincidence. Seems like I remember some 200 series numbers as well.

-What I said above about the one piece flower pot is inaccurate.
    (Sam, did I sell you a km1000 years ago?)

Hmmmm? 212 09 How 'bout the 9th instrument manufactured in the 12th month of 1982? There was a series of 000, 100, 200, and 300 prefix serial numbers followed by a space and a two number suffix. There was also a series of serial numbers beginning with a two digit prefix followed by a decimal point. 83., 84., 85., and 86. I do not recall purchasing a MIJ Kentucky from you, GTison, but I hope I did! Over the years I have kept a log of these serial numbers corresponding to the Maruko factory models when they were made available. One of these days I will compile this information and publish the details here on the Café. Stay tuned, Sam

Hi, I see some posts from April 2019. I didnt get notified?? Looks like we have some serial numbers in the same range. Can one of the 009s post the headstock inlay? Wondering if it is a sloppy job like mine