Thread: Gibson F-5 Reference Book

Default Gibson F-5 Reference Book

Dear Mandolin Café members !

Firstly I want to say Thank You for allowing me in your community.

My name is Marcel Rommerskirchen. I am a professional musician and author from Germany. Currently I am writing on a reference book about the Gibson F-5 mandolin. The aim is to establish a standard piece of literature about this instrument. The book will include not only historical documentation, illustrations, detailed descriptions and photos of instruments but also an extensive reference section providing complete and comprehensive information especially about the instruments of the Lloyd Loar era, all complimented by contributions from globally renowned experts on the subject, prominent collectors of vintage instruments as well as some of today's world leading mandolin players.

I would like to to publicize my work on this project here and most notably invite all of you to take part in the creative process by sharing your suggestions, ideas and of course also your criticism with me.

I will come up with further information and some links in the next days where you can become a part of this project and also support the book with donations. For the moment my focus is on spreading the news of what I'm working on, finding people that can and want to contribute to it and making up sources of information as much as I can. Any kind of feedback will be appreciated.

Thank you very much for your support !

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Marcel Rommerskirchen For This Useful Post:

Oval holes are cool David Lewis's Avatar

Default Re: Gibson F-5 Reference Book

Welcome! I'm a quiet member (I don't post much), but it's a topic I think would make a great book.

You'll need, among other resources, Spann's Guide to Gibson, a superb ressource

I also highly recommend Graham McDonald's 'The Mandolin: A History.'

Tom Ewing's book on Bill Monroe has some very interesting details about one in particular.

Also, the Mandolin Archive website is a must. And I'd have a look at Roger Siminoff's web page too.

Good luck and keep us posted!
    JBovier ELS; Epiphone MM-50 VN; Epiphone MM-40L; Gretsch New Yorker G9310; Washburn M1SDLB;

Fender Nashville Deluxe Telecaster; Squier Modified Vintage Cabronita Telecaster; Gretsch 5420T; Fender Tim Armstrong Hellcat: Washburn Banjo B9; Ibanez RB 5string; Ibanez RB 4 string bass

Pedalboard for ELS: Morley Cry baby Miniwah - Tuner - EHX Soul Food Overdrive - EHX Memory Toy analog Delay
    Fender Blues Jr Tweed; Fender Greta;

4. The following members say thank you to David Lewis for this post:

Loarcutus of MandoBorg DataNick's Avatar

Welcome to the Cafe and best wishes to your monumental endeavor!
    1994 Gibson F5L - Weber signed

"Mandolin brands are a guide, not gospel! I don't drink koolaid and that Emperor is naked!"
    "If you wanna get soul Baby, you gots to get the scroll..."
    "I would rather play music anyday for the beggar, the thief, and the fool!"
    "Perfection is not attainable; but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence" Vince Lombardi
    Playing Style: RockMonRoll Desperado Bluegrass Desperado YT Channel

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DataNick For This Useful Post:

Welcome Marcel, check your PM inbox.

Guten tag und wilkommen.

9. The following members say thank you to Denny Gies for this post:

Hello David !

Thank you very much for your hints. I got Spann's Guide to Gibson already and Roger Siminoff is a great source, too. I'll get the other ones. Thanks !

Marcel

11. The following members say thank you to Marcel Rommerskirchen for this post:

Vielen Dank, Denny Gies !

I see your located in Florida but you speak German pretty well - how does it come ?

Best regards,

Marcel Rommerskirchen

Mandolin tragic Graham McDonald's Avatar

Good luck with your project. I look forward to reading it. The Gibson F-5 is a subject with as much folklore as fact. The challenge is sometimes picking the difference. 8-)

Cheers

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Graham McDonald For This Useful Post:

Is your end result an actual hard bound book or an ebook? With all you mention, it could easily be a 500 + page book with 50+ pages of photos. It would take 50 pages to write about the top mandolin players of today. I would include the Gibson artists of the past. That's a heck of an undertaking and would be expensive to produce. If you don't already have it, you should start with the newest book out in 2016 called "The Complete Guide to The Gibson Mandolins, etc" by Paul Fox. Next, I would get in touch direct with Darryl Wolfe, who has all the information you seek on everything prewar Gibson Gibson F5 with this F5Journal and in his personal notes on the subject. The mandolincafe is also a wealth of information for you project. Others have been mentioned.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to f5loar For This Useful Post:

Thank you very much Graham !

You're absolutely right - dividing the myths from the facts will be an important aspect of my book.

Hello f5loar !

Thanks for your comments ! The end result will definitely be an actual hard bound book. There is nothing like pages of paper. And yes - there is a lot of work ahead. But I'm in for it. I got some time, some money, a bunch of friends and supporters and a big heart full of love for the mandolin. Things could be worse. For sure it won't be ready tomorrow, but it is in the making.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Marcel Rommerskirchen For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Great project, I agree with Tom-F5loar from above, A big old hardcover picture book with known things and the Lore of the Loar! You can message me anytime as I know a bit myself, Not as much as some of these guys but know things like my Uncle who had played his Loar F-5 for about 30 years professionally before being retired on the road, Some other Loars that haven't been photographed yet but could be? I have an old Fern and a 24 Loar F-5 also, rare Gibson mandolin pieces also from the Loar era and the 30's odd mandolins like a 35 F-12, F-7's "I want a 10 but don't need it-LoL!" For sure some really interesting instruments, not as many as some of these players and collectors have but I cherish what I have. It would be a hard undertaking, well worth it to us vintage mandolin nuts! I would offer my help in any way possible! Sure we have the Awesome work of Darryl and the archive but a book goes with the past, something you can hold like an original F-5. Best O' Luck and WELCOME. "I'd buy for sure!"

21. The following members say thank you to William Smith for this post:

Thank you very much, William Smith !

I will come back to you for sure.

I applaud your undertaking of such a mammoth project!
    You will find a lot of information on this site, Henry Eagle and Tom (F-5Loar) know a great deal,as well as many others, the resources with which you may become acquainted through the efforts of the site owner will fill VOLUMES! I do not envy the task of editing your project.
    Feel free to contact me as well, I may not have the right answer but, happy to be a voice from the wings if I can!
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

24. The following members say thank you to Timbofood for this post: