Thread: Article: Italian Mandolin Heroes in America

Blog Entries

Default Article: Italian Mandolin Heroes in America

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mandolin Cafe For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Default Re: Article: Italian Mandolin Heroes in America

We hesitate to use the word "epic" for a new publication, but make exception for this one. If you are going to own one single publication on Italian mandolin history, make it this one. Stunning collection of visual and written historical information. Duly impressed by Sheri's work and then some.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mandolin Cafe For This Useful Post:

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

I got my copy on Monday. Hard to put down.

Essential reading for any lover of the instrument.

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

6. The following members say thank you to brunello97 for this post:

Blog Entries

It was kind of like a bombshell receiving this. I had no idea it might be this good. I think it's an essential own for mandolin enthusiasts.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mandolin Cafe For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mandolin Cafe View Post
    It was kind of like a bombshell receiving this. I had no idea it might be this good. I think it's an essential own for mandolin enthusiasts.
    It sure is, along with "Mandolins like Salami".

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DavidKOS For This Useful Post:

Sheri Mignano Crawford Mandophile's Avatar

a thank you to the wonderful mandolinists whom I've met via MandolinCafe and who are playing the dance music. Now you have a chance to meet these talented composers and 'see' them in the virtual world of my new book.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mandophile For This Useful Post:

A complete description of my book is in the classified section but I'd like to state that it is perfect bound, heavy softcover, 80% satin paper (glossy with high def photos). It contains an appendix with 140 Italian musicians and their association with specific mandolin music publishers, and a demographics map of their villages. Endnotes assist readers to pursue archives and the sources I used for citations. Is this a scholarly approach? You bet it is! These are NOT wikipedia bios but intimate, in-depth profiles.

14. The following members say thank you to Mandophile for this post:

I got mine today. The Mail & other services have been delayed due to the Arctic weather here in Chicago, Chiberia we’ve been calling it. Today is a balmimg 20 degrees.
    So tonight, I’ll be curling up with the Mandolin tome. Thanx, Sheri.
    Joe B
    A Splendid Time is Guaranteed for All

16. The following members say thank you to mandopops for this post:

To my European friends: free mailing is ONLY for books mailed within the United States. I looked into mailing the book to Europe. It costs $40 (shipping and handling costs). It is very expensive to mail to Europe (& UK). For right now, please only use PayPal if you reside with the lower 48 states. (Hawaii and Alaska may be more). I guess I should have thought of all this beforehand. Thanks everyone. I'm sorry for any confusion.

This book, along with Sheri's compendium of the actual music from these publishers which she has posted here at the MC, must certainly be one of the most splendid resources ever provided to mandolin players. Un tesoro di musica diretto dalla fonte.
    That Sheri has published this book herself only reinforces her connection to this culture of music and how deep and timelessly it is embedded in our souls.
    Bluegrass players take note: This is not just for us bowlback-heads. There are an amazing array of melodies here for the mandolin. And the stories in MHIA are as compelling as it is reading about Monroe and Louvin (whose stories are equally as essential for any mandolin player...)
    Dig it.
    Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to brunello97 For This Useful Post:

What a joy to see and even better to read! Really hard to put down once you start reading. A must read for all mandolinists ethnomusicolgists, and Italophiles alike! Learn about the musicians, composers, and publishers who played and created these beautiful ballo liscio rythyms-the mazurkas, polka, marches, quadriglias and other dances in the Little Italies of Philly, NYC, and elsewhere. A veritable trip back in time. For those who have actually played, or still play this music, or may be in process of learning about it---this book is indispensable ! Play or listen to a mazurka, have a glass of wine, in between chapters. Read it with your eyes, hear it with your ears, and absorb it with your heart !
    "In Musica Veritas" !

Bravissima Sheri !
    Abbracci- Normanno Giorno-Calapristi

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Musicapralis704 For This Useful Post:

Johnny Mandolin

Sheri has created a piece of history here. This book is amazing and a wealth of information.
    She is the Mandolin archivist of our time. and keeper of the flame. Brilliant.
    -JOHNNY MANDOLIN
    www.johnnymandolin.com

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to johncexton For This Useful Post:

For those looking for more, I encouraged Sheri to continue. So she wrote for Harpguitars.net a wonderful story about the Calamaras. I then used that as an excuse to update all my many Joseph Bohmann articles. You can access all here: http://harpguitars.net/history/bohma...a/calamara.htm

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gregg Miner For This Useful Post:

Thank you Gregg! Your encouragement and considerable wealth of knowledge about harp guitars made my story possible and gave it new life! You offered me an extraordinary opportunity to share one more story--this time from Chicago--and how much the Italians contributed to a lively mandolin and guitar tradition. Emilio and Emily "Nettie" Calamara were remarkable in many ways and their fragile lives existed during the excitement of the Gilded Age and within the context of World War I. It reminds us all how much it takes for musicians to stay active, relevant, and enthusiastic in the pursuit of making music.

I deliver this story hoping that I remained objective in spite of the emotional heartache I felt as I arrived at the conclusion of their intertwined lives.

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mandophile For This Useful Post:

Thank you, both Gregg and Sheri for all you do to make this history come alive and relevant for the 21st C.....
    Mick

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to brunello97 For This Useful Post:

Stay tuned for the another huge, creative bombshell from Sheri~ due in autumn.

31. The following members say thank you to Mandophile for this post:

Thank you for your support and I'm pleased to be able to continue the 20% discount to MandoCafe. see the attached order form. You can also visit PayPal and buy a copy by contacting me there. (Zighi Baci Publishing).

Two FREE TO DOWNLOAD articles on Chicago mandolin history were posted in the forums. Here's how to search for them:

"First American-Made Mandolin in America" Who built it and who was the first to play it!
    All your questions answered in a 20-page article with graphics and fastidious details and documentation. You'll learn about the Spanish Students and the role they played plus those contenders who vied for "first"!
    "Emilio and Emily Calamara: A Tale of Two Musicians" The sad tale of a mandolinist and her harp-guitar playing husband. You'll meet pistol-packin' Emily and learn what happens to the power couple from Chicago.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Order Form_Zighi_Baci_Publishing-1-13.2020.pdf  

33. The following members say thank you to Mandophile for this post:

and here's a link to my website; scroll down to the PDF order form: www.zighibaci.com Thank you!

These are the books you can order.

Italian Mandolin Heroes in America --mandolinists as mandolin music publishers and accordion publishers (2019)
    Mandolin Melodies (Italian dances - sheet music) (2008) PDFs in 3rd edition on CD)
    Mandolins, Like Salami (San Francisco Bay Area mandolinists and orchestra history) (2005)
    French Soirée (bal musette sheet music) (2010)
    Last edited by Mandophile; Jan-17-2020 at 10:52am.

35. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mandophile For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

FYI, there's a special sale of this book going on right now on Sheri's site.

37. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mandolin Cafe For This Useful Post:

Please visit the classified ads for special discount that just started. Thanks everyone. and Stay Safe! Keep on Plucking!

39. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mandophile For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mandolin Cafe View Post
    FYI, there's a special sale of this book going on right now on Sheri's site.
    Required reading.

Mick

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road

41. The following members say thank you to brunello97 for this post: