Thread: Shipping an instrument in January

Woodswalker

Default Shipping an instrument in January

Hi, another question about shipping a mandola to Norway (ebay sale): Is it dangerous to ship during cold weather? Will it be exposed to freezing temps during shipping? Is it better if I tell my buyer to wait a few months?

Default Re: Shipping an instrument in January

I can't speak for international sales, but I have bought at least one ukulele in the winter that was shipped from the Northern US to Georgia. I was lucky the body did not crack because it sat in the post office somewhere for a week, in who knows what temperature and humidity? When I got it the frets were very sharp from being dried out and exposed.

I doubt your buyer will be happy waiting months for delivery, but its worth a shot to ask.

Winter is the peak for instrument sales and all shops around the world have them shipped in. It is normal to ship in Jan.
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

4. The following members say thank you to Folkmusician.com for this post:

Dave Sheets

One bit of advice often quoted is to allow the packaged instrument to warm up slowly in the house (overnight?) before opening the packaging around the instrument to avoid a thermal shock that that can crack finishes- Can anyone comment on how critical this is? Waiting to open the package before opening it certainly can't do any harm.
    -Dave
    Flatiron A
    Way too many other instruments

Allowing the package to acclimate is highly recommended if there is a large temperature difference between the package and the air temp.

Well actually the instrument temp.... If the instrument is in a case, inside a box and was only out in the cold for a few minutes, the box might be cold but the instrument insn't... That could go either way. Just use good judgement.

And yes, I have witnessed finishs cracks appear before my eyes.... It does happen!
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

Quote Originally Posted by Woodswalker View Post
    Hi, another question about shipping a mandola to Norway (ebay sale): Is it dangerous to ship during cold weather? Will it be exposed to freezing temps during shipping? Is it better if I tell my buyer to wait a few months?
    With the Polar Vortex it might be colder in Philly than it is in Norway! I would imagine it is only going to be exposed to outside temperatures for brief periods of time. I would wrap it in insulating materials to limit the temperature drop. Foam, bubble wrap should do the trick and you were probably going to use them anyway

Wait 24 hours before opening!
    I have shipped 50 guitars and some Mandolins !
    Yljudt last week a guitar going east through CHi town 23 below zero made it just fine ! He waiting
    24 hours no problem!!
    Justmy 2 cents 🤘