Thread: Ebony point protectors - What adhesive?

Default Ebony point protectors - What adhesive?

I am building my first instrument, an F5 mandolin. For the point protectors, I am using ebony. I am not cutting notches or dovetails to attach them, because at this moment that is beyond my skill level. What adhesive would you recommend for adhering the ebony to the points?

Default Re: Ebony point protectors - What adhesive?

What are your bindings made of?
    In usual F construction, the points are attached to the end grain of the cut-off side pieces where they meet at the points of the rim. End grain glue joints are not very strong, no matter what glue is used. If your bindings are wood, then the end grain of the ebony is glued to the wood binding. If the bindings are plastic, ebony end grain will be glued to plastic, and ebony side grain will be glued to end grain side material. Bottom line, the glue joints are not very strong because there is end grain at every joint. That is one reason for fitting the point protectors into "dovetails" in the bindings; to achieve a mechanical joint to help the glue hold them in place.
    The strongest end grain adhesive we normally encounter is epoxy, so that would probably be the strongest method, but if I were you, I'd probably just use Titebond (original, of course) and understand that a sharp blow will knock the point protectors off.

I have two F5s with ebony points waiting for binding.. I wiped down the ebony with acetone to remove as much oil as could be.. took a Dremel and cut lite grooves into the joining surfaces to get more glue surface.. used epoxy.. I cut the binding channel with an exacto knife and stay away with power tools.. it usually works... does this sound like I've had a few failures ??????
    kterry

I use medium CA for all my point protectors, and the result is quite strong. Don't use thin CA, because it will wick into the wood and you won't be able to stain it.

5. The following members say thank you to amowry for this post: