Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gibson F-5 Lloyd Loar Signed December 1, 1924 Mandolin

Default Re: Gibson F-5 Lloyd Loar Signed December 1, 1924 Mandolin

Peter Mix has such a wonderful touch on that Duff in the video above. Vermonters love maple and great mandolins.. Doug in Vermont

Blog Entries

Default Re: Gibson F-5 Lloyd Loar Signed December 1, 1924 Mandolin

Quote Originally Posted by eightmoremiles View Post
    May I add my $.02? I am not a professional musician or builder, but I have played a Feb 18, 1924 Loar for the last 17 years. It does not have a Virzi, and never had one, contrary to some of what I have been reading. Having played other Loars, with and without, I have noticed a peculiarity of the Virzi Loars not mentioned by the discussants above. Standing in a group of players blasting away on their Loars, I could feel very striking sympathetic vibrations in the body of the Virzi Loar I was holding, but not playing; this was much more pronounced than the normal vibrations one would feel holding an acoustic wood instrument, and occurred with more than one Virzi Loar.
    Has anyone else noticed this?
    A very interesting and important observation. If sympathetic vibrations are set off in the Vrizi by other mandolins in the room them certainly the Virzi is making some contribution to the sound of the mandolin it is inside of when it it being played?

Of course some might like that contribution from the Virzi and some might not.
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.