Thread: Webers Hippies vs. Pre Hippie

Pittsburgh Bill
    Blog Entries

Default Webers Hippies vs. Pre Hippie

Another thread brought these thoughts to mind. After some time has a general consensus amongst those in the know developed on the quality and tone of these instruments?
    Just curious as I have always favored Weber dolas over other price comparable dolas while not so much for the mandolins.
    Not having had the opportunity as of late to play a large sampling, I now wonder how things are shaking out in the world of pre vs. after Hippie mandolin/dola with those in the know.
    Big Muddy EM8 solid body (Mike Dulak's final EM8 build)
    Kentucky KM-950
    Weber Gallatin A Mandola "D hole"
    Rogue 100A (current campfire tool & emergency canoe paddle)

Blog Entries

Default Re: Webers Hippies vs. Pre Hippie

I have three Webers. Two are "Sound to Earth" (made in Montana, pre TOH), one is "Weber" (TOH, made in Oregon). I am very fond of each even as they have very different voices. The TOH instrument is a bit on the "tight" side tonally, which may indicate that it is still maturing (it has a 2015 serial number).
    New to mando? Click this link -->Newbies to join us at the Newbies Social Group.

Just send an email to rob.meldrum@gmail.com with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and he will email you a copy of his ebook for free (free to all mandolincafe members).

My website and blog: honketyhank.com

I own 2 Weber’s. One is a Bitterroot A style pre TOH, the other a Custom Bitterroot F style post TOH but within the first year of the takeover, while Bruce was still signing the labels. Both very nice instruments, with different voices, but both good voices. The difference in voicing can be attributed to many things. For example, the F has an Adi top, The A style Sitka. The A has the original Brekke bridge, while the F has the “Traditional” Brekke. Plus, add to that the fact that each instrument is an individual with inevitable differences.

As for the instruments they make now, it seems from what I’m seeing that there is more of a distinction being made between the entry level models (Gallatin, Bitterroot) and the higher grade models. It used to be, under Bruce, the main distinction between each model was the level of binding and ornamentation. Thus, even if you bought a Gallatin, it would be plain and with no binding but you could still get some nice looking flame on the back. That is no longer true. Most of the back wood I’ve seen on currant Gallatins and Bitterroots have been plainer than plain. Add to that the recent change to dovetail neck joints on the Yellowstone and higher models. Under Bruce there was a family resemblance from low price to high. Now it’s seems more like 2 very distinct levels.
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to multidon For This Useful Post:

Not that it pertains to individual instruments, but it seems that Weber has added some dealers in the last couple of years, so I figure that dealers like them, and they should know. Sylvan in Santa Cruz stocks quite a few, and they compete with Pava and Giouard, so one could surmise people are buying them.

As far as I know, Bill Collings has not built any mandolins lately. Go play some and see for yourself. No disrespect intended.

Somewhere there are a few Gibson F 5s built a month after Loar left the building. I'd gladly take one. There are Stradivari violins some would say are best left in museums.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

What does pre/post Hippie mean? And TOH?

"TOH" refers to "Two Old Hippies" - that's what they actually call themselves - who bought the Weber company in 2012. (I had to look it up to see when it happened. I was surprised it was so long ago!)

https://webermandolins.com/blog/two-...s-general-mana
    Doug Brock
    2018 Kimble 2 point (#259), Eastman MD315, Eastman MDA315, some guitars, banjos, and fiddles

8. The following members say thank you to Doug Brock for this post:

Depending on which direction this thread takes... 'CF' stands for 'Cornfield'.
    "I play BG so that's what I can talk intelligently about." A line I loved and pirated from Mandoplumb

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FLATROCK HILL For This Useful Post:

ship me samples and I can opine... better..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Pittsburgh Bill
    Blog Entries

So, more to the point, has the new owners maintained the same build integrity and customer service we came to expect from Mr. Bruce Weber?
    With exception to "Multidon's" explanation regardings the aesthetics of the wood used on lower end instruments I still have not determined the answer I was looking for.
    No MAS yet, just curious.
    Big Muddy EM8 solid body (Mike Dulak's final EM8 build)
    Kentucky KM-950
    Weber Gallatin A Mandola "D hole"
    Rogue 100A (current campfire tool & emergency canoe paddle)

Blog Entries

I can't answer your question but, if you want a new build with Bruce Weber attention and service, you should buy a new one from his new venture Montana Lutherie.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

14. The following members say thank you to JEStanek for this post:

Blog Entries

As a big Weber fan, I am curious, too. The one TOH Weber I have was signed by Bruce Weber. I am curious also about whether the TOH non-Weber Webers have maintained the quality of the TOH real-Weber Webers.

I suspect I will have to find and play more than a few more Weber and non-Weber Webers. I feel a field trip coming on.
    New to mando? Click this link -->Newbies to join us at the Newbies Social Group.

Just send an email to rob.meldrum@gmail.com with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and he will email you a copy of his ebook for free (free to all mandolincafe members).

My website and blog: honketyhank.com

I don't really know what answer you are going to get. If you search Weber threads, I recall more people asking about if their Webers were going to be worth more since they are signed by Bruce Weber, or if their TOH Webers would hold their value. I can't recall someone ever saying Webers were now crap. I'm sure I've played some of each. They sound like Webers. The proof is in the playing of each instrument.

There has been some grousing about revamping the line up and dropping models from the line. TOH is a business subject to the same market forces any other business is. Not moving product? Discontinue it.

Any maker that has dealers has a built in critical audience, both for the instruments and service. Dealers don't want issues. If there were issues, it would not bode well for the manufacturer. But it does come down to the instrument you are playing right now. If you can't put it down, buy it. If you are hesitant because of any perceived issues, you haven't fallen for the instrument. My cardinal rule is never to buy an instrument if I were thinking about resale before I even bought it. That has saved me a lot of money.

Now if you are buying via the net, all bets are off. But no one is ragging on Webers that I've seen. I have known people who bought two or three instruments to try in their own home. The cost of returning them was worth it to them. YMMV.

By the way, Webers aren't my thing, but I've not played a bad sounding or poorly built one. I'd gladly have taken the recent givaway.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

I was Pre Hippie in the late 50s , not yet a teenager..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

18. The following members say thank you to mandroid for this post:

Seter 

My post TOH Yellowstone mandocello is an exceptional instrument, and I feel a better one than the OM Hyalite (pre TOH) I had, though they’re obviously on cosmetic ends of the spectrum. I don’t know that a large company will ever be able to match the customer service for which Bruce is famous, but my MC, which is meticulously put together and amazing sounding, has had no issues so I can’t comment personally of TOH post-sale service...
    Chuck

I've owned a couple of pre TOH Webers of various models, all were fine instruments. I have played 2 decked out Yellowstones of probably 2015 vintage(TOH) and found both well voiced, extremely well built, and looked very fine. I thought the pricing was very fair also.

I picked up a custom Yellowstone Weber(2017 model probably) in Jan 2018 from TheMandolinStore. Dennis had them put a fern headstock inlay on it, end grain ivoroid binding, the florida was scooped, and it has what I think is a Cremona type burst. Adi top, nice flamed maple all around. Its quite an amazing instrument. Love everything about it. The neck set is as good as it gets, so the action can be really low without any buzz whatsoever. Fretwork is excellent, as is the bone nut/slots. Here is a thread on that Yellowstone with pictures. I have no idea whose name is inside, I have not looked.
    https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/t...d-a-pot-of-tea

I am very limited in having hands on with TOH models, but the few I have held have impressed me highly.

hope that helps you
    d

21. The following members say thank you to darylcrisp for this post:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1981.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	526.1 KB 
ID:	174467

I have two octave mandolins from Weber.... one from 2007 (Bozeman) and one from 2016 (Bend). Both are incredible instruments. I would describe the 2007 as being a little louder and punchier and the 2016 as having a more mature, pleasing tone. I'm proud to own them both.
    Eric Davis

2010 Gilchrist 5JR Mandolin
    2016 Weber Gallatin F-style Octave Mandolin