Results 1 to 21 of 21

Thread: My July 2016 LaPlant

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Northern Wisconsin
    Posts
    415

    Default My July 2016 LaPlant

    I got this really great instrument from Lloyd back in July of '16 and it really has really become a great mandolin. I am trying to get some good sound clips to post, but I thought I would get some pics up. Don't believe anything I can afford is going to replace it any time soon.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_01252.jpg 
Views:	180 
Size:	1.16 MB 
ID:	174355   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_01262.jpg 
Views:	260 
Size:	1.04 MB 
ID:	174356   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_01272.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	1,013.6 KB 
ID:	174357  


  2. The following members say thank you to John Adrihan for this post:


  3. #2
    Registered User G. Fisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Spring Lake Park, Minnesota
    Posts
    780

    Default Re: My July 2016 LaPlant

    Welcome to the LaPlant owners family. Here is my little stable of LaPlant mandosClick image for larger version. 

Name:	LaPlant 1.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	849.8 KB 
ID:	174373Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LaPlant3.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	1.24 MB 
ID:	174375
    Last edited by G. Fisher; Jan-28-2019 at 9:12am.
    “Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something.”

    My Mandos:
    1981 Lloyd LaPlant F5 #6
    2001 Lloyd LaPlant F5 #106
    2006 Lloyd LaPlant F5 #142
    2011 Weber Yellowstone HT
    2017 Boeh A5 #26
    2020 Boeh 2-point #31

  4. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Northern Wisconsin
    Posts
    415

    Default Re: My July 2016 LaPlant

    Not new, my second one. I had I believe #38. I traded in for #184. Nice bunch of mandolins by the way Mr. Fisher.

  5. #4
    Registered User Drew Streip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Chattanooga, TN
    Posts
    429
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: My July 2016 LaPlant

    I love how he's carved the points! Nice subtle touch that I haven't seen before.

  6. The following members say thank you to Drew Streip for this post:


  7. #5
    Registered User G. Fisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Spring Lake Park, Minnesota
    Posts
    780

    Default Re: My July 2016 LaPlant

    Quote Originally Posted by John Adrihan View Post
    Not new, my second one. I had I believe #38. I traded in for #184. Nice bunch of mandolins by the way Mr. Fisher.
    Did #38 have this peghead inlay? I'd like to have one with this inlay since I have a flowerpot and fern.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	peghead.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	203.4 KB 
ID:	174376
    “Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something.”

    My Mandos:
    1981 Lloyd LaPlant F5 #6
    2001 Lloyd LaPlant F5 #106
    2006 Lloyd LaPlant F5 #142
    2011 Weber Yellowstone HT
    2017 Boeh A5 #26
    2020 Boeh 2-point #31

  8. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    12,194

    Default Re: My July 2016 LaPlant

    Good looking, well-made mandolin. I dig the neat inlays on the bridge base, gives a nice classy touch.

  9. #7

    Default Re: My July 2016 LaPlant

    Greg you have been a LaPlant guy as far back as I can remember.
    Danny Clark

  10. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Northern Wisconsin
    Posts
    415

    Default Re: My July 2016 LaPlant

    Yes it did.

  11. #9
    Registered User d18daddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Central Minnesota
    Posts
    100

    Default Re: My July 2016 LaPlant

    This one looks similar to mine, except I have a flower pot inlay.
    Does this have the matte varnish finish?

  12. #10
    Registered User G. Fisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Spring Lake Park, Minnesota
    Posts
    780

    Default Re: My July 2016 LaPlant

    Mine isn't a matte finish and isn't isn't reallly high gloss ethier. It's kind of in between
    “Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something.”

    My Mandos:
    1981 Lloyd LaPlant F5 #6
    2001 Lloyd LaPlant F5 #106
    2006 Lloyd LaPlant F5 #142
    2011 Weber Yellowstone HT
    2017 Boeh A5 #26
    2020 Boeh 2-point #31

  13. #11
    Registered User EvanElk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Portland, Oregon
    Posts
    317

    Default Re: My July 2016 LaPlant

    I like the dark bursts!
    1998 John Sullivan A5 - Ella
    2009 Heiden A Heritage
    2015 Heiden F Artist
    2017 Duff A5
    2019 Ruhland F5

  14. #12
    Registered User doc holiday's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    alberta
    Posts
    1,211

    Default Re: My July 2016 LaPlant

    Quote Originally Posted by John Adrihan View Post
    I got this really great instrument from Lloyd back in July of '16 and it really has really become a great mandolin. I am trying to get some good sound clips to post, but I thought I would get some pics up. Don't believe anything I can afford is going to replace it any time soon.
    Hard to beat Joe K Walsh on his LaPlant: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKGn3JxASjA

  15. #13

    Default Re: My July 2016 LaPlant

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	448F1198-FA97-42C3-B931-9C871FDF2EEA.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	582.7 KB 
ID:	176527

    Three LaPlants in this picture

    - - - Updated - - -

    The other two are from some guy named Steve

  16. #14
    Registered User William Smith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Sugar Grove,PA
    Posts
    3,011
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: My July 2016 LaPlant

    Very nice mandolins right there! Love to play them.

  17. #15
    Kelley Mandolins Skip Kelley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    2,971

    Default Re: My July 2016 LaPlant

    Lloyd builds some great mandolins. I met him a few years ago at SPGBMA; he’s one heck of a great guy!

  18. #16

    Default Re: My July 2016 LaPlant

    You can’t talk about Lloyd LaPlant without mentioning his guitars. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	B831B533-DE66-42E4-A80B-CED6FC00127E.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	471.7 KB 
ID:	176528 You also need to know that he’s the nicest guy you will ever work with.

  19. The following members say thank you to Homer Savard for this post:


  20. #17
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Northern Wisconsin
    Posts
    415

    Default Re: My July 2016 LaPlant

    Yes Lloyd is awesome. This mandolin has opened up nicely is becoming a monster. It's doing a great job of holding MAS at bay.

  21. #18

    Default Re: My July 2016 LaPlant

    I have Lloyd's first varnished mandolin. It is really a great instrument and I think Lloyd has varnished all of them since then. I remember chatting with Lloyd and Steve Gilchrist at IBMA in Louisville when Charlie Derrington walked up and asked about getting varnish to dry. Charlie said he had tried everything to speed the process up, UV light, Heat etc. Lloyd said, "i hang them in the window!" Steve said "you just have to wait it out mate". I stood there like a fly on the wall witnessing three great mandolin minds sharing thoughts. So cool to see Charlie seek out Lloyd and Steve like that.

    Lloyd told me once that he built his first guitar in 1949. When he built my guitar, he invited me to come to his home and pick out the wood. My brother and I made the trip and had a great time. We met with Lloyd, had coffee with his family, picked out the wood, Bev made lunch, and ended the afternoon with a jam session with Don (RIP) and Billy. I can't say enough about Lloyd and his family. Salt of the earth.
    Enjoy your new Mando! Mine will never leave me.

  22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Homer Savard For This Useful Post:


  23. #19

    Default Re: My July 2016 LaPlant

    I met Lloyd when I was about 12 and have played music with he and his sons (until his oldest passed a couple years back) every time they came to Arkansas for the Fiddler's Convention in Harrison. He is genuinely one of the best human beings alive. His mandolins are incredible, but you walk away a better person from just having spoken with Lloyd.

  24. #20
    Registered User d18daddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Central Minnesota
    Posts
    100

    Default Re: My July 2016 LaPlant

    Now that I have one of Lloyd's mandos, I'm hankering for a guitar.

  25. #21
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Northern Wisconsin
    Posts
    415

    Default Re: My July 2016 LaPlant

    Quote Originally Posted by Homer Savard View Post
    I have Lloyd's first varnished mandolin. It is really a great instrument and I think Lloyd has varnished all of them since then. I remember chatting with Lloyd and Steve Gilchrist at IBMA in Louisville when Charlie Derrington walked up and asked about getting varnish to dry. Charlie said he had tried everything to speed the process up, UV light, Heat etc. Lloyd said, "i hang them in the window!" Steve said "you just have to wait it out mate". I stood there like a fly on the wall witnessing three great mandolin minds sharing thoughts. So cool to see Charlie seek out Lloyd and Steve like that.

    Lloyd told me once that he built his first guitar in 1949. When he built my guitar, he invited me to come to his home and pick out the wood. My brother and I made the trip and had a great time. We met with Lloyd, had coffee with his family, picked out the wood, Bev made lunch, and ended the afternoon with a jam session with Don (RIP) and Billy. I can't say enough about Lloyd and his family. Salt of the earth.
    Enjoy your new Mando! Mine will never leave me.
    I believe he built his first guitar in the bathtub too.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •