Thread: Blueridge BR-40T tenor guitar

Default Blueridge BR-40T tenor guitar

Hi y'all! I am very interested in getting a BR 40T but can't find one in my location. I am not really wanting to purchase on line as I like to feel it! I am in BC Canada and wonder if anyone knows of a location that I can check out. I am also interested in your opinions on this instrument! Thanks

Default Re: Blueridge BR-40T tenor guitar

I've had one for a number of years. It's a very decent, nice playing/sounding tenor. I had a 1930s Martin 0-18T that was killer, but needed too much maintenance. I don't think the BR40T was that good, but it was very close. I have some nicer mandolas, octaves, guitars, etc. If it were my main instrument, I might want something a bit nicer. But for occasional use, it's good.

I did sand down the edges of the neck to be more comfortable (mine has a truss rod), and used steel wool to remove a little of the thick finish (just because).

It has developed a seam separation in the top (running from bottom to bridge), but haven't repaired it because is still sounds/plays well and is tight.

If you can't find one to try, I would suggest buying a used one such that if you really didn't like it you'd pretty much get your money back if you resold it. It is really a decent tenor, regardless of price. Considering price, it's a very good deal.

The Long&Mcquade saskatoon store has a used one for sale

Quote Originally Posted by rollingdam View Post
    The Long&Mcquade saskatoon store has a used one for sale
    Thanks for the info y'all! If I can't find one I may go for a smaller guitar such as the Taylor mini gs. Want try to get close to mandolin but with four strings!

I went into one of my local music stores today, and they told me that they could get in the BR 60T! The first time I had asked, they said that they didn't think they could get it! They are looking into the 40T availability. Things may be looking up!

6. The following members say thank you to islandgirl for this post:

fox 

Guernsey... small island just off the coast of France

All the Blueridge tenor models are great, a bit overbuilt but correspondingly robust, 23” scale can be a bit of a stretch if you are jumping up from a mandolin though.
    They are great for strumming, I much prefer GDAE to CGDA but that is just a personal thing.
    I have quite a few tenor guitars but not many perform better than a well set up Blueridge.

8. The following members say thank you to fox for this post:

I just got a BR40-TCE and love it. In fact I'll probably make a complete post about it soon.

10. The following members say thank you to John Lloyd for this post:

They are great for strumming, I much prefer GDAE to CGDA but that is just a personal thing.
    I agree, that they sound great when strummed. But I have mine tuned CDGA.
    I use it for song accompaniment in our little acoustic trio:

So long, no one has complained, that it is missing two strings...

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to crisscross For This Useful Post:

Thanks for that video! Nice sound!

OK! Now that I am leaning towards the BR-60T, I need to get sheet music. How does mandolin sheet music convert to tenor guitar? I know that the key will be different.

I'm in BC as well and there's nothing happening for tenors. Long&Mc's don't stock but can special order if it's coming from an established supplier. Rufus sometimes has or can get stuff Mc's doesn't. There's a Guitar Center in Bellingham but they don't stock tenors either. There was a fellow on the island producing some really funky custom tenors, but I've not seen anything from him for a while. With stuff like tenors we just have to take our best educated guess and order blind. I was able to find a really nice Harmony through Craigslist, but that was pretty fluky.

Transposing between tenor and mandolin is a matter of finding your root - if song is in G on the mando, find G on the tenor - and playing the same shapes, just in a different place on the fretboard. Tenor music I've studied tends to keep the playing action up the fretboard around to the 10th fret.

The circle of 5ths comes in handy - mandolin is tuned a 5th higher than tenor, alternately a tenor is tuned a 4th lower than mandolin. In practice - if the mandolin music calls for me to play a D chord, transposing a 5th I play a mando A shape on the tenor for the same chord. It will be a D chord albeit an octave lower, which is where playing higher up the neck comes into play.

They're the same but different. I also play a 5 string mandolin and have taken to thinking of it as a tenor on the low strings and mandolin on the high so I'm getting used to switching on the fly. It's a challenge, to be sure.
    VerneAndru.com | oKee.ComX

- ---==< V >==--- -

16. The following members say thank you to Verne Andru for this post: