Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 31

Thread: Microphone mute switch

  1. #1
    Registered User ABrown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    NE Iowa
    Posts
    68

    Default Microphone mute switch

    Hey all I am looking for a well made microphone mute foot pedal. When I play live I constantly switch between guitar and mandolin and I have a different setup for each. My mandolin setup is a PGA81 straight into the board while my guitars have K&K Pure Minis installed, so when I'm on guitar I just want to be able to turn off the PGA81 without going over to the board and muting the channel. I've googled it a bunch and have it narrowed down to a few but I'd like some other feedback from anyone who might have another opinion. Thanks!
    2017 Gibson F5L
    2016 Weber Gallatin A
    Collings DS1A
    Martin D-18
    Martin-D28

    "Too dumb for New York, too ugly for L.A."

  2. #2
    Mangler of Tunes OneChordTrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Oxfordshire, England
    Posts
    657

    Default Re: Microphone mute switch

    A similar question was asked a few weeks back and I think the consensus was to use a tuner pedal with a mute as the cost was similar and has the bonus of a tuner. Don’t know much about microphones so it may not work with your set up? But if it does it’s fairly cheap, I bought a tuner for my e-mando for 12.

  3. #3
    Registered User ABrown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    NE Iowa
    Posts
    68

    Default Re: Microphone mute switch

    Quote Originally Posted by OneChordTrick View Post
    A similar question was asked a few weeks back and I think the consensus was to use a tuner pedal with a mute as the cost was similar and has the bonus of a tuner. Don’t know much about microphones so it may not work with your set up? But if it does it’s fairly cheap, I bought a tuner for my e-mando for 12.
    That would be ideal however I haven’t ever seen a tuning pedal with xlr input/output. I’ll look into that
    2017 Gibson F5L
    2016 Weber Gallatin A
    Collings DS1A
    Martin D-18
    Martin-D28

    "Too dumb for New York, too ugly for L.A."

  4. #4
    Mangler of Tunes OneChordTrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Oxfordshire, England
    Posts
    657

    Default Re: Microphone mute switch

    An XLR input? I think you’re beginning to scratch the depths of my ignorance about microphones . I had to Google XLR so I suspect my approach may take you down a dead end. My apologies if I waste your time.

  5. #5
    Registered User foldedpath's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Posts
    4,972

    Default Re: Microphone mute switch

    That PG81 is a condenser mic, isn't it? Most microphone mute boxes will cause an audible "Pop" when used with condenser mics that require phantom power from the board.

    The Orchid mic muting pedal supposedly buffers the signal with a quiet mute, but I haven't tried it myself. Maybe someone else here has used it, or will have other suggestions:

    https://www.maurysmusic.com/inc/sdet...g_pedal/176957

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    S.W. Wisconsin
    Posts
    5,258

    Default Re: Microphone mute switch

    I haven't used the mic muting pedal, but I have an Orchid preamp and they are good, well made products. NFI on my part, just an observation. Looks like it will silently mute, pass phantom power to your mic, and power itself with phantom from the board.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

  7. #7
    Registered User ABrown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    NE Iowa
    Posts
    68

    Default Re: Microphone mute switch

    Quote Originally Posted by foldedpath View Post
    That PG81 is a condenser mic, isn't it? Most microphone mute boxes will cause an audible "Pop" when used with condenser mics that require phantom power from the board.

    The Orchid mic muting pedal supposedly buffers the signal with a quiet mute, but I haven't tried it myself. Maybe someone else here has used it, or will have other suggestions:

    https://www.maurysmusic.com/inc/sdet...g_pedal/176957
    You are correct, there are mute switches that are built to eliminate the "pop" that comes from switching on/off a powered signal.
    2017 Gibson F5L
    2016 Weber Gallatin A
    Collings DS1A
    Martin D-18
    Martin-D28

    "Too dumb for New York, too ugly for L.A."

  8. #8
    Registered User ABrown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    NE Iowa
    Posts
    68

    Default Re: Microphone mute switch

    Quote Originally Posted by pops1 View Post
    I haven't used the mic muting pedal, but I have an Orchid preamp and they are good, well made products. NFI on my part, just an observation. Looks like it will silently mute, pass phantom power to your mic, and power itself with phantom from the board.

    I'll check it out, I like the idea of it being self powered, I definitely want it to have an indicating light as to whether it's on or bypassed.

    Just gave it a look and it looks like this is a momentary switch and not a latching one
    2017 Gibson F5L
    2016 Weber Gallatin A
    Collings DS1A
    Martin D-18
    Martin-D28

    "Too dumb for New York, too ugly for L.A."

  9. #9

    Default Re: Microphone mute switch

    I use a Pro Co Sign Off. It passes phantom power, and there is no pop when you hit the switch. Solidly built.

  10. #10
    Registered User ABrown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    NE Iowa
    Posts
    68

    Default Re: Microphone mute switch

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Martin View Post
    I use a Pro Co Sign Off. It passes phantom power, and there is no pop when you hit the switch. Solidly built.
    Does it have a status light?
    2017 Gibson F5L
    2016 Weber Gallatin A
    Collings DS1A
    Martin D-18
    Martin-D28

    "Too dumb for New York, too ugly for L.A."

  11. #11

    Default Re: Microphone mute switch

    The Sign Off has no indicator light, but a couple other Pro Co models do - the Power Mute and the Panic Button.

  12. The following members say thank you to Mike Martin for this post:

    ABrown 

  13. #12
    Registered User ABrown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    NE Iowa
    Posts
    68

    Default Re: Microphone mute switch

    Quote Originally Posted by OneChordTrick View Post
    An XLR input? I think you’re beginning to scratch the depths of my ignorance about microphones . I had to Google XLR so I suspect my approach may take you down a dead end. My apologies if I waste your time.
    Don't worry about that, I appreciate your input. I'm pretty ignorant to audio equipment and techniques myself, this is probably a dumb question for most of the heavy gigging collective here
    2017 Gibson F5L
    2016 Weber Gallatin A
    Collings DS1A
    Martin D-18
    Martin-D28

    "Too dumb for New York, too ugly for L.A."

  14. The following members say thank you to ABrown for this post:


  15. #13

    Default Re: Microphone mute switch

    The Rolls MM11, is another option. It passes phantom and there is no pop. Plus, it is inexpensive. I've been using it for years with no trouble.

  16. #14
    Unfamous String Buster Beanzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Cornwall & London
    Posts
    2,653
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default Re: Microphone mute switch

    Another approach might be to get both set up and controlled using a mini mixer something like this.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/ammoon-Cons...r%2Bmixer&th=1

    then you could take the balanced line level output and send that to a decent line level A/B switch.
    I use one of these mounted in a case for switching between my fiddle & mandolin after they exit the preamp at line level.
    In your case it would be after the mini mixer. https://www.rdlnet.com/product.php?page=153
    Eoin



    "Forget that anyone is listening to you and always listen to yourself" - Fryderyk Chopin

  17. The following members say thank you to Beanzy for this post:

    ABrown 

  18. #15
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    9

    Default Re: Microphone mute switch

    I used the Whirlwind "Micmute PP" for a long time. It is a bit more expensive than the Rolls but it has an LED indicator light so you know when it is on. I did eventually have to replace the toggle switch. I recently switched to the Orchid Mic Mute, which I also like.

  19. The following members say thank you to dstratto for this post:

    ABrown 

  20. #16
    coprolite mandroid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Outer Spiral Arm, of Galaxy, NW Oregon.
    Posts
    15,847

    Default Re: Microphone mute switch

    Neutrik NC3FXS Female XLR Connector with On-Off Switch
    Brand:Neutrik|Model: NC3FXS|Part # 092-080

    https://www.parts-express.com/neutri...witch--092-080


    simple , effective XLR substitute Mic Cable End..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

  21. #17
    coprolite mandroid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Outer Spiral Arm, of Galaxy, NW Oregon.
    Posts
    15,847

    Default Re: Microphone mute switch

    Tuning pedals target the Much bigger Guitar market so are 1/4" TR in and out.
    you may have them rewired TRS for additional cost and effort..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

  22. #18
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY, USA
    Posts
    894

    Default Re: Microphone mute switch

    If you are not using phantom power, a simple A/B switch with one side not connected would work.

  23. #19
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Culpeper, Virginia
    Posts
    203

    Default Re: Microphone mute switch

    I use the Radial Big Shot I/O. Pass two instruments through and select A or B or Mute. Simple passive switch. You can always add phantom power after the switch.

  24. #20
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Your nations capitol
    Posts
    59

    Default Re: Microphone mute switch

    I use this one. My band plays to a single Ear Trumpet Labs condenser Mic that is very hot and to keep the audience from hearing us from discussing (arguing about the key of the next tune) we use this to mute the mic. I think it was expensive but worth it.
    Alectro Systems inc (MMSI-S) Check it out
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	quiet please.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	47.7 KB 
ID:	174714  

  25. #21
    Registered User ABrown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    NE Iowa
    Posts
    68

    Default Re: Microphone mute switch

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Greer View Post
    I use this one. My band plays to a single Ear Trumpet Labs condenser Mic that is very hot and to keep the audience from hearing us from discussing (arguing about the key of the next tune) we use this to mute the mic. I think it was expensive but worth it.
    Alectro Systems inc (MMSI-S) Check it out
    This is the one I ended up going with. I think it will do what I need but I wonder why they couldn't power the circuitry with the 48v phantom power rather than requiring an external power source.
    2017 Gibson F5L
    2016 Weber Gallatin A
    Collings DS1A
    Martin D-18
    Martin-D28

    "Too dumb for New York, too ugly for L.A."

  26. #22
    coprolite mandroid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Outer Spiral Arm, of Galaxy, NW Oregon.
    Posts
    15,847

    Default Re: Microphone mute switch

    Quote Originally Posted by mandroid View Post
    Neutrik NC3FXS Female XLR Connector with On-Off Switch
    Brand:Neutrik|Model: NC3FXS|Part # 092-080

    https://www.parts-express.com/neutri...witch--092-080


    simple , effective XLR substitute Mic Cable End..
    That is what they were made to do add an off switch for microphones that did not have any..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

  27. #23
    Registered User ABrown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    NE Iowa
    Posts
    68

    Default Re: Microphone mute switch

    Quote Originally Posted by mandroid View Post
    That is what they were made to do add an off switch for microphones that did not have any..
    No doubt that this is a simple and effective solution but I was pretty set on having something hands free that I could toggle without much movement of effort
    2017 Gibson F5L
    2016 Weber Gallatin A
    Collings DS1A
    Martin D-18
    Martin-D28

    "Too dumb for New York, too ugly for L.A."

  28. #24
    coprolite mandroid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Outer Spiral Arm, of Galaxy, NW Oregon.
    Posts
    15,847

    Default Re: Microphone mute switch

    Guess you make those big gig bucks, I am lucky if I find anyone to play with in an otherwise empty room
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

  29. #25
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Your nations capitol
    Posts
    59

    Default Re: Microphone mute switch

    Quote Originally Posted by ABrown View Post
    This is the one I ended up going with. I think it will do what I need but I wonder why they couldn't power the circuitry with the 48v phantom power rather than requiring an external power source.
    wow that is a darn good question. Maybe to power the led lights? The lights are very bright. It does pass through the 48v. It also meets all the OP requirements as well as mine.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •