Thread: Collings MTO

Default Collings MTO

I seem to be struggling with my Colllings MTO. It just seems hard to play. I have a Northfield F5 that plays like "butter". Any thoughts or suggestions. Thanks.

Default Re: Collings MTO

Check the action on both, fret height, relief, height above the first fret. If they differ, make them the same.

I got a mandolin a sort time ago and it was hard to play, whoever did the fret level didn't level the 1st fret to the rest. Strings above the first fret were fine, but the fret was higher than the rest so it played hard. Lowering the first fret, then the strings at the nut made it play great. Have it checked out by someone who can figure out why it plays hard, it shouldn't.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Dave Sheets

On mine, it was the nut slot depth. I lowered them, and that improved matters greatly. Probably wisest to have a good mandolin luthier go over it if you aren't comfortable with filing a nut. I worked on cheap instruments first.
    -Dave
    Flatiron A
    Way too many other instruments

What is the nut width on your Northfield? The nut width on your MTO will be 1 3/16 - if the Northfield is 1 1/18th that may play a part in the difference you're feeling.
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

Are the strings the same? Different strings can feel different....

My MT was "stiff" when I got it. Set up from factory and shop was a bit high for me, and was probably set up for a 'grasser to get the big volume. I took mine to my local luthier and had it set up for med-light strings. Perfect (for me) now.

Quote Originally Posted by Caleb View Post
    My MT was "stiff" when I got it. Set up from factory and shop was a bit high for me, and was probably set up for a 'grasser to get the big volume. I took mine to my local luthier and had it set up for med-light strings. Perfect (for me) now.
    Thanks all for the suggestions!

8. The following members say thank you to newmanj24 for this post:

Caleb 

Loren-

Let's meet up and we can compare our MTOs. Mine is pretty easy to play, it did take me a while to get used to the neck. I was recently messing around with mine, and took the action down as low as I could go. It is now raised a bit, I wasn't happy with the D string, a slight almost buzz that I thought was the saddle slot. I think I messed that slot up trying to cut it. A piece of paper in that slot and raising the action a bit helped repair my "fix".
    Girouard Custom Studio A Oval
    P.W. Crump OM-III

Gary we could meet at Guitar Works. Lmk a good time and day. Thanks.
    Loren

Quote Originally Posted by newmanj24 View Post
    Thanks all for the suggestions!
    Most people use heavier strings than I prefer. I recommend trying some GHS Osborne medium-lights. Not only is there less tension, but my mandolin seems to "breathe" more and sound a bit less restricted. Feels better and sounds better to me. YMMV.