Thread: Ten Years In

Smile Ten Years In

So, I just realized my love/hate relationship with the insidious little instrument called the mandolin has reached 10 years. I have quit a few times and sold off my mandolins, only to buy new ones a few months later-hence my credo “buy high/sell low. So, where am I on this journey? Well, I can play a few songs, go to the occasional jam-mostly just doing chopping accompaniment; I’ve witnessed people pass me by skill wise in wholesale numbers. I’ve taken several years of lessons, and feel I should apologize to my teachers for my inept playing abilities.

I own 3 mandolins (a Kentucky 500, a Morris A4, and a Silverangel F5). I feel totally unworthy of the Morris and the SA. I feel sorry for them being owned by me although I do take exceptional care of them.

At the age of 72, I don’t expect any major improvements to occur. I am easily offended and have left here several times, and Mainly I am just a lurker. So.........what’s the point of this lengthy diatribe you ask? Absolutely nothing-just felt like sharing. No need to reply.

Thanks for reading!
    Thanks

Several mandolins of varying quality-any one of which deserves a better player than I am.......

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mike Scott For This Useful Post:

===========

Default Re: Ten Years In

It just goes to show that once music gets into your blood, it is just about impossible to completely let go . . . even for no-talent hackers like me.

If the mandolin gives you enjoyment, keep it up - even if you will never be a virtuoso.

It's kind of like what they once said on Sesame Street (and later picked up by The Carpenters):

'Don't worry if it's not good enough for anyone else to hear,
    just sing, sing a song.'

4. The following members say thank you to MikeZito for this post:

Man, just keep making music to the best of your ability and enjoy the ride! I was raised by a defensive line coach and Marine Raider, so if you’d like advice on developing thicker skin we can talk offline, just pm me. We all have different talent levels. I consider myself a complete hack (setting Thile, Bush, McCoury, and Compton as benchmarks), but am complimented more often than expected by others who hear me play...whom I believe are just uneducated on the talent that’s out there. That said, there’s definitely some magic in the making of music! Contribute as best you can, and keep getting better!!
    Chuck

6. The following members say thank you to CES for this post:

I think it's just natural to want to pass judgement on ourselves and others. When I go to an open mic and see someone I know has played and sung for decades and they can't sing or play very well, I wonder why they just don't hang it up. Then I see how much fun they are having, and really, that's the point.

There is no driver's license you have to get to play your Silverangel, so just enjoy it. And take what Mr. Newman says to heart.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

8. The following members say thank you to Br1ck for this post:

I hear you, Mike, and you are not alone. Just have fun playing, and if it isn't fun, quit. I am also just a hack, but I really like the sounds a mandolin makes when you pluck the strings. I keep trying too.

10. The following members say thank you to Stacey Morris for this post:

I must confess, maybe about 20% of my post was tongue in cheek. The remaining 80%, well........... Oh yeah I am equally inept on the guitar and concertina ��
    Last edited by Mike Scott; Jan-25-2019 at 11:03pm.
    Thanks

Several mandolins of varying quality-any one of which deserves a better player than I am.......

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

Hey Mike. I'm not too many years behind you and I understand the feelings. The point is that making music makes you feel good, even if it's in the privacy of your home or in a jam with just a few trusted friends.

Having nice instruments usually increases that good feeling, so don't have any guilt for enjoying the good stuff. Have fun, and then have fun again!
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”

13. The following members say thank you to Phil Goodson for this post:

I’m about 12 years in and am a mediocre player for life. But I’m having fun, so I win.

15. The following members say thank you to Caleb for this post:

Hi Mike, I'd recommend learning some traditional tunes if you feel like branching out a bit. It gets your fingers moving nicely and it's fun learning new ones. The beauty of having a good Mandolin is that you look forward to getting it out of the case and playing it. Since I got a decent one I enjoy practising rather than seeing it as a task. Glad you're having fun anyway. Cheers, Davey.

17. The following members say thank you to Davey for this post:

Not quite 7 years in. I've gotten up to a solid beginners level. That is if you exclude young people. It killls me to go to a jam and see that 14 yo whose been playing 2 years and just smokes the fret board and coughs out chord shapes I've never seen before.

But yeah, its not a competition and although its hard not to do, we shouldnt compare ourselves. We all bring something to the table to the feast of music making.

I've had to switch back to guitar so much my mando chops are sliding. But I still love it and love the forum so here I still am much to many's consternation !
    No matter where I go, there I am...Unless I'm running a little late.

19. The following members say thank you to Astro for this post:

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    .... so here I still am much to many's consternation !
    Yeah Astro; I've been meaning to mention that I'm 'consterned' about you!

Glad to have you here and glad we're all having fun!
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”

21. The following members say thank you to Phil Goodson for this post:

Astro 

My teacher in 5th or 6th grade said " Everyone can do something better than everyone else. Even if it is closing the barn door."

Remember you can do something very well, music is supposed to be fun not work. Simply enjoy it. Having a better instrument, as was said, is not something that you need to justify, just enjoy. Enjoying the sound of your mandolin, for me, makes me play more.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

23. The following members say thank you to pops1 for this post:

I hope your experience with music has broadened your appreciation of the range of music the world has to offer. As a performing artist, I frequently see audience members that have no concept of what goes into music performance. A sip of the effort makes the music taste better.
    2007 Weber Custom Elite "old wood"
    2017 Ratliff R5 Custom #1148
    Several nice old Fiddles
    2007 Martin 000-15S 12 fret Auditorium-slot head
    Deering Classic Open Back
    Too many microphones

BridgerCreekBoys.com

25. The following members say thank you to MontanaMatt for this post:

Mike, I have not been playing mandolin as long as you, but I am still fairly mediocre and still having fun. I figure if I live long enough, I may eventually get to fairly good. And I am TOTALLY unworthy of my Collings, my Pava, and my Weber, but I love playing them and they bring me a smile whenever I play them, so it's all good. So keep playing and enjoy your mandolins!

27. The following members say thank you to LadysSolo for this post:

Thanks for all the encouragement. I was not planning to pack it in- just admitting that music in general and mandolin in particular is most likely not my forte. No big deal. I’ve been playing a long time and drift back and forth on the instrument of emphasis which most likely is why I’m not too good on any of them. I do like the portability of the mandolin compared to say the dobro and do play it nearly daily for an hour or so (various genres). So, thanks again and please................keep picking!
    Thanks

Mike, I started playing uke when I retired, then moved on to guitar. Eight years in and I am a mediocre player at best. I have played nearly every single day since I started, so you think I’d be better. I don’t generally mention how long I’ve been at it, so that folks dont have high expectations. I say that I am an advanced beginner. I just started mandolin a year ago and at my age, I don’t think I have time to get very good, but I’m trying. Anyway, I’m keeping my mind active and my fingers moving and I’m entertaining myself to boot. So Mike, you are not alone. PS, I also have better instruments than I deserve.

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bunnyf For This Useful Post:

Mike can we jam. I've only been playing for a month,I'm sure you could teach me a two or three.

32. The following members say thank you to Eric "Trapper" G for this post:

Registered User Charlie Bernstein's Avatar

Remember Pogo the possum? He once said he carried a tune like a concealed weapon.

Afraid that applies to a lot of us. But mandos are too much fun to miss. Like you, I have one mando that's my speed, a Mid-Missouri, and one that I have no right to pick up, a Redline.

Have a great time banging on both, so who cares if I'll never make it to the Ryman? Most folks will be glad I don't!

34. The following members say thank you to Charlie Bernstein for this post:

I'm also at about 10 years from when I first accidentally picked up a mandolin. I started on violin almost 45 years ago, then added guitar and electric bass a few years later. I found (not surprisingly) this background jump-started my playing mandolin, but, I also found that working on mandolin improved my guitar and violin playing too.

I got into lots more jams and song circles with other people 10 years ago when I began playing mandolin. I discovered what I call the "permanent beginner" - people who don't improve over the years, don't seem to want to improve, and actually seemed opposed to learning new things. I'm not saying this necessarily describes anyone here on the cafe. We all have different levels of talent, attention span, curiosity, desire, etc. I encourage everyone that enjoys playing music to keep at it, stay curious and keep learning. Slow progress is still progress.

36. The following members say thank you to Mandobart for this post:

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

This is why I prefer folk music over classical: you don't depend on ambitious excellence to make it make sense. There is a wide pleasant green land of mediocrity providing harvests of happiness. Reap what you have sown, however little, and be proud of yourself.
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

38. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bertram Henze For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Bertram Henze View Post
    This is why I prefer folk music over classical: you don't depend on ambitious excellence to make it make sense. There is a wide pleasant green land of mediocrity providing harvests of happiness. Reap what you have sown, however little, and be proud of yourself.
    One of the best posts I’ve ever seen on the MC.

40. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Caleb For This Useful Post:

Indeed! And encapsulates my mandolin journey to a "T" (or should that be an "M"?)

42. The following members say thank you to bbcee for this post:

I've been playing five years and have worked at it pretty hard as I felt I had some catching up to do. I'd played Guitar before but never used a pick so it was a good while before my left and right hand started communicating with each other. Anyway, I seem to have got it now. I'm not the fastest at a Session but I make sure my tone and timing are good and if they fall to bits I'm usually going beyond my top speed. We had a dozen or so folks at our local Session last night & spent a great three hours playing, drinking beer and generally having harmless fun. A great way to spend a dark winter night.

44. The following members say thank you to Davey for this post: