Thread: NMD 2017 Gibson F5L

Default NMD 2017 Gibson F5L

I received my new (to me) Gibson F5L yesterday from Morgan Music and after a long wait overnight I finally was able to open it up to check it out and do a little picking before work. It was still in perfect tune after a couple days in a delivery truck while being delivered to the frozen midwest, it was about 15 degrees in my part of Iowa yesterday. My initial impression was it sounded absolutely awesome. It has great volume and balance and even my wife noticed it had a more defined sound than any of my other mandolins. The finish is great and I've yet to find any imperfections but honestly I'm not going to look too hard. The neck will take some getting used to but I don't see any issue with it being my first non radiuses fretboard mandolin, I couldn't tell enough of a difference to worry about it. I'm not sure how I feel about the case, it looks pretty good but the fit around the body is surprisingly loose for how well made everything else is. It's fine for storing it in the house but I will definitely be looking for something a little more robust for when I start gigging with it.

Edit: Sorry about the sideways photos. Not sure how that happened or how to fix it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6I7j3n+vSVaEGLFt4xcxiQ.jpg 
Views:	198 
Size:	731.5 KB 
ID:	174267

Name:	I%VCIhO3QfWsADw8Ky6FCw.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	803.3 KB 
ID:	174268

Name:	Arvd+FReQiqbGWxluDgiuw.jpg 
Views:	241 
Size:	662.1 KB 
ID:	174269

Name:	VpyqJ53pSOyBItF4vmekbQ.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	716.1 KB 
ID:	174270

Name:	jkLailEDQZep1NaiWeetHw.jpg 
Views:	180 
Size:	454.3 KB 
ID:	174271

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ABrown For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Default Re: NMD 2017 Gibson F5L

Very NICE Fern!, Those TKL cases they've been using since 2000 or so for the Ferns. I wonder how yours stacks against the 2000's? I know David Harvey isn't no slouch on what he puts out! She is a looker! Happy it made it safe in the cold as I bought a 1935 Gibson A-50 with elevated board and F-holes and well it took a whack and a 4 inch top crack so sent her back, shame because GREAT rare model! I picked up cheap, That is the 2nd 35 I've gotten damaged! I will never use or have someone use UPS-I'm on total boycott!

Quote Originally Posted by William Smith View Post
    Very NICE Fern!, Those TKL cases they've been using since 2000 or so for the Ferns. I wonder how yours stacks against the 2000's? I know David Harvey isn't no slouch on what he puts out! She is a looker! Happy it made it safe in the cold as I bought a 1935 Gibson A-50 with elevated board and F-holes and well it took a whack and a 4 inch top crack so sent her back, shame because GREAT rare model! I picked up cheap, That is the 2nd 35 I've gotten damaged! I will never use or have someone use UPS-I'm on total boycott!
    Yeah I was not overly thrilled about having this shipped to me via UPS but it's just how it had to happen. I was a little pissed (but not shocked) that they just left it on my front porch, rang the doorbell and left. The outer box is basically a billboard for Gibson with a picture of a Fern headstock on both sides, thankfully my wife is home with our new baby still and was able to bring it inside immediately.

I am glad you are happy. My quest for a Gibson ended with a crash and burn. I finally had the funds and ordered one. It was new and very pretty but man was I disappointed with the tone. I sent it back then after speaking with a store in Nashville I bought a slightly used one and the same results. Both Mandolins sounded like a really good Kentucky to me. I since have moved on and acquired an awesome Laplant that I could not be happier with but I am still dreaming about that Gibson tone.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ABrown View Post
    Yeah I was not overly thrilled about having this shipped to me via UPS but it's just how it had to happen. I was a little pissed (but not shocked) that they just left it on my front porch, rang the doorbell and left. The outer box is basically a billboard for Gibson with a picture of a Fern headstock on both sides, thankfully my wife is home with our new baby still and was able to bring it inside immediately.
    Yes mine was left on the porch as well, but mine took a hit! The box was fine but it was dropped as I had them ship without bridge, and tailpiece cover on, the crack was right next to the riser block and went along with it a bit over 4 inches down past the end of the fret board, too bad as those are my favorite old Gibson A's! I like to think of those as the F-7 of the A world. As its basically the same but in an A without the fancy inlays. I paid 900 for it and a few years ago those were selling for 2500+? Its the 2nd 35 elevated board that I've gotten that had to be sent back do to damage. I could've kept it but then the hassle of getting it fixed, and just didn't need that, plus it wouldn't be worth what I paid.

Beautiful Fern. I love the back, very unique.
    '02 Gibson master model #70327 02-01-02
    '25 Gibson A-4 Snakehead #82626
    '06 Hicks #1 and #2 F-5 still not done

Gibson F-5 Master Model Registry

8. The following members say thank you to carleshicks for this post:

ABrown 

Blog Entries

The new ferns well I say from say at least from a 2004 V-Fern I had, to the new ones they use some serious great looking Abalone compared to the 20's-30's Ferns! Now all newer Ferns unless specified are Sitka correct? I know my 04 V-Fern was Sitka, but that didn't hurt that one at all! I think you told me Carles that back in those years there was maybe 25 V-Ferns? I should've kept that one, that was the lightest F-5 I've ever owned for some reason! I swear that was maybe 2lbs! Crazy light, and responsive. I know David Harvey has done a few runs of Fern MM's in varnish and lacquer that are Adirondack topped. Very nice stuff!

10. The following members say thank you to William Smith for this post:

The back looks like it has eyes, watching...
    2007 Weber Custom Elite "old wood"
    2017 Ratliff R5 Custom #1148
    Several nice old Fiddles
    2007 Martin 000-15S 12 fret Auditorium-slot head
    Deering Classic Open Back
    Too many microphones

BridgerCreekBoys.com

I've lately felt the need to update this thread to say just how good this mandolin is. After 6 weeks of heavy playing it is turning into a hell of great sounding mandolin. The bass is woody with a great chunk to it, I've found myself subconsciously putting more double stop tremolos on the low strings into my playing just because it sounds so good. The treble is always clear with just enough sustain to not get in the way, playing up the neck is a treat. The chop started out good but just within the last couple weeks I'm starting to feel it in my chest. I can't express how pleased I am to own this instrument, and to anyone on the fence about the newer made Gibson mandolin I say 'go for it'. I took a gamble on this mandolin buying it sight unseen figuring I could always sell it for what I paid for it but it is definitely a lifetime keeper.
    2017 Gibson F5L
    Northfield Big Mon
    Collings D1AT
    Collings D1AVN Varnish
    Collings D2HGT
    1941 Martin D-18

"Too dumb for New York, too ugly for L.A."

13. The following members say thank you to ABrown for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by ABrown View Post
    Beautiful instrument!

You should be able to register w/UPS (and Fedex) to have packages held at nearby depot or location or you can pay a small premium for a narrow window of delivery. Except for Amazon's, I guess they won't allow those to be redirected/held (We've had a few packages nabbed, fortunately, no F5L's)
    Kentucky km900
    Yamaha piano, clarinet, violin; generic cello;
    a pedal steel (highly recommended); banjo, dobro don't get played much cause i'm considerate ;}

Shopping/monitoring prices: vibraphone/marimbas, rhodes, synths, Yamaha brass and double reeds