Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Namm 2019

Blog Entries

Default Re: Namm 2019

Quote Originally Posted by Don Grieser View Post
    Is there a big NAMM dump coming or is that it?
    That's it for me. There isn't that much true mandolin activity at the show. Much of what goes on that makes it worth attending is seeing and networking with a lot of people that are important in the mandolin world but aren't displaying or have booths.

2. The following members say thank you to Mandolin Cafe for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mandolin Cafe View Post
    This is a relatively new product from TKL, the TKL VTR 552 GLW case, hard plastic. Have a few other pictures of it but likely may not post. Retail in the neighborhood of $449. Light, very thin, good protection, worth exploring further for some of you. They'll have them at Merlefest they thought. Made in Virginia.

Name:  IMG_1554.jpg
Views: 2369
Size:  87.3 KB

Name:  IMG_1549.jpg
Views: 2362
Size:  157.2 KB
    found these other pics via google (gold and black colors)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	download.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	5.7 KB 
ID:	174367

Name:	download (1).jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	4.3 KB 
ID:	174368

So, a molded plastic case with an aluminum valence, plush lined form fitting interior for $477. And we already have the Gator molded plastic, aluminum valence, plush lined form fitting case for $109. Similar cases with a big price difference. What am I missing here? Is the TKL really 4x better? Of course it’s made in USA. So it costs more to produce. But that much more?

For me, the gold standard for a molded plastic case is the Hiscox. This is without a doubt the very best case of this type in construction, materials, and engineering. And yet this TKL is almost double the cost of that one? I truly do not understand. This seems to be a product looking for a very small customer base. Those willing to overpay a ridiculous amount when there are much better alternatives out there. If I were going to drop that kind of change on a case, I would just go ahead and go for a Calton or Hoffee.
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

Blog Entries

Going back through photos and neglected to post this earlier, two new Gibson electric mandolins. Did not get a chance to test them out but looked nice. According to my notes the one on left is F-5GEM Electric Mandolin w/Figured Maple. Semi-hollow F-5G with custom pickup, highly flamed mapel top and back, brand new from Gibson Custom Shop.

Name:  gibson1.jpg
Views: 1639
Size:  129.7 KB

Name:  IMG_1533.jpg
Views: 1632
Size:  434.1 KB

6. The following members say thank you to Mandolin Cafe for this post:

Blog Entries

This is Adrian Bagale of Northfield. We are in the midst of our annual high powered business meeting having the best meal of NAMM, year #3 at this joint and as usual, the line was out the door on a Thursday night. Wouldn't even attempt this place on the weekends. $30 total bill for three. Don't worry, the cilantro, limes and onions are just out of the picture.

Name:  tacos.jpg
Views: 1595
Size:  158.8 KB

8. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Mandolin Cafe For This Useful Post:

Great reporting on the ground from NAMM. Thanks Scott.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stop For This Useful Post:

Yup - they serve it up big for cheap. Nice to see it's still happening.
    VerneAndru.com | oKee.ComX

- ---==< V >==--- -

Some info just picked up: Breedlove Crossover which is an import won't be available in 2019. May be on their way out but I know who to ask about that.
    So is Breedlove getting completely out of the mandolin business? A friend of mine who went to NAMM told me that, as they had zero on display. Not sure if he inferred it from the zero on display or if he actually talked to someone. But they no longer have anything on their site except the Crossover models and if the Crossovers are not available in 2019...

https://breedlovemusic.com/mandolins/browse

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jefflester View Post
    So is Breedlove getting completely out of the mandolin business? A friend of mine who went to NAMM told me that, as they had zero on display. Not sure if he inferred it from the zero on display or if he actually talked to someone. But they no longer have anything on their site except the Crossover models and if the Crossovers are not available in 2019...

https://breedlovemusic.com/mandolins/browse
    The situation as it was told to me was whoever is producing them for Breedlove has indicated they cannot deliver anything in 2019 and can't or didn't indicate they could beyond that, and that's about all is known. So in short, the future of them is up in the air with no one knowing the answer.

Just a late note to say thank you for all the reporting on NAMM. Looks like some very nice stuff could be available this year. And while an F5 is not my thing, that's an awfully cool instrument that Gibson introduced. (Personally like the look, but know it's not for everyone.)
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Big Muddy M-11, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

15. The following members say thank you to Eric Platt for this post:

Blog Entries

I always enjoy your NAMM posts and the fresh pulse of the mandolin world (at least at the big trade show). Was the punk woman with the awesome hair there again? She was my favorite NAMM sight.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

17. The following members say thank you to JEStanek for this post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JEStanek View Post
    I always enjoy your NAMM posts and the fresh pulse of the mandolin world (at least at the big trade show). Was the punk woman with the awesome hair there again? She was my favorite NAMM sight.

Jamie
    If she was I didn't see her. I've actually gotten to know her a bit, very nice person. Last time I saw her she said she doesn't come every year. But of course there is never a shortage of people in costume. I'll post a couple of photos later today if I remember that should more than make up for it.

19. The following members say thank you to Mandolin Cafe for this post:

Blog Entries

My award for best mohawk in show went to...

Name:  IMG_1540.jpg
Views: 1291
Size:  176.0 KB

21. The following members say thank you to Mandolin Cafe for this post:

Blog Entries

Bit of the Saturday fun:

23. The following members say thank you to Mandolin Cafe for this post:

Blog Entries

Some info about the Gibson distressed model. I've been told since it's a prototype that particular one will not be sold. I'll say it again: you may not like or agree with distressing instruments, or you may not like the particular distressing on that instrument, but there's no denying that's a killer sounding mandolin. I played it and stick by that.

25. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Mandolin Cafe For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

I think the people watching there must be as good as the instrument looking. Thanks for those.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

I've done a number of NAMMs and they are a lot of fun. The weird costumes tend to come out on Saturday with mostly normal people the rest of the days IME.

- ---==< V >==--- -

Some info about the Gibson distressed model. I've been told since it's a prototype that particular one will not be sold. I'll say it again: you may not like or agree with distressing instruments, or you may not like the particular distressing on that instrument, but there's no denying that's a killer sounding mandolin. I played it and stick by that.
    There is a long tradition in the violin world for copying iconic models along with the centuries wear from old age and playing. If there ever was an iconic mandolin then Bill Monroe's is it. It looks like that did a painstaking rendition of this mandolin including the sound.

Name:	MON-MN21-DVD.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	77.3 KB 
ID:	174512
    Name:  Gibson F5 Hall of Fame Mon (1).JPG
Views: 5572
Size:  123.2 KB
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

And like every mandolin brand out there, each of these new Gibson distressed mandolins will sound somewhat different from each other.
    John A. Karsemeyer

30. The following members say thank you to JAK for this post:

Going back through photos and neglected to post this earlier, two new Gibson electric mandolins. Did not get a chance to test them out but looked nice. According to my notes the one on left is F-5GEM Electric Mandolin w/Figured Maple. Semi-hollow F-5G with custom pickup, highly flamed mapel top and back, brand new from Gibson Custom Shop.
    They look like 8-string variants of the "F-Paul" from NAMMs gone by.

Name:	Gibson-F_Paul.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	43.2 KB 
ID:	174517
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

This is Adrian Bagale of Northfield. We are in the midst of our annual high powered business meeting having the best meal of NAMM, year #3 at this joint and as usual, the line was out the door on a Thursday night. Wouldn't even attempt this place on the weekends. $30 total bill for three. Don't worry, the cilantro, limes and onions are just out of the picture.
    Ooh ... I think I found the mystery taco joint ...

Name:	o.jpg 
Views:	204 
Size:	147.7 KB 
ID:	174522
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

This thread is but one of so many examples of why this is the best site on the web. Thank you Scott for all your hard work, expertise, insights and dedication to our wild and wacky world.

I'm blessed to have two taco trucks within walking distance to my house, but must admit, the LA taco truck and taqueria scene in LA is tops. My daughter had a taco truck cater her wedding. But beware, the LA taco truck scene pulls no punches when it comes to hot sauce. I think my local guys make hot hot sauce, I can take their medium hot, but LA takes it up a notch, so beware the burn.

The other thing about LA is you'll see trucks open untill 1AM week nights, and 3 or 4 on weekends. And nothing beats dollar taco Tuesdays.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Blog Entries

And one more thing... hate to post this in the discussion where all the hand wringing about the distressed Gibson is being held, but the first one of these was already spoken for before the Show started, so may be awhile before the second one is available.
    Last edited by Mandolin Cafe; Feb-03-2019 at 12:13pm.

Anyone interested in seeing what else was happening at NAMM, here are a few links:

https://www.harmonycentral.com/forum...nter-namm-2019

https://www.premierguitar.com/articl...amm-2019-day-1
    https://www.premierguitar.com/articl...amm-2019-day-2
    https://www.premierguitar.com/articl...amm-2019-day-3

I enjoy the "getting away from winter" part of NAMM as socal is usually pleasant this time of year. Crowds are fun but it's pretty exhausting and hard on the feet. These links provide great coverage without the sore feet!

In one of the Harmony Central threads there is an announcement that Fender purchased all the Bigsby assets. Would be nice to see a 5-string re-issue but I think Fender is more interested in the trem and seems to have a long history of dropping the ball on the mando side. But it does take things full circle as Bigsby's work and designs, particularly the headstock, had more than a passing impact on young Leo Fender's designs.

- ---==< V >==--- -