Check out my web site for:
    Jack Tottle music files
    BBC Virtual Session files
    O'Neill's PDFs
    ITM Tunebooks, and more

Default Re: Eastman ERM El Rey

That is actually pretty cool looking.
    I like it.
    Mandolins: Northfield 5-Bar Artist Model "Old Dog", J Bovier F5 Special, Gibson A-00 (1940)
    Fiddles: 1920s Strad copy, 1930s Strad copy, Liu Xi T20, Liu Xi T19+ Dark.
    Guitars: Taylor 514c (1995), Gibson Southern Jumbo (1940s), Gibson L-48 (1940s), Les Paul Custom (1978), Fender Strat (Black/RWFB) (1984), Fender Strat (Candy Apple Red/MFB) (1985).
    Sitars: Hiren Roy KP (1980s), Naskar (1970s), Naskar (1960s).
    Misc: 8 Course Lute (L.K.Brown)

Scott's NAMM 2019 post says:
    And, introducing the Eastman ER-M El Ray Mandolin - Top wood solid Maple, Back/Sides solid one piece Mahogany, Finish nitrocellulose, pickup Lollar mandolin Humbucker.

Back and sides carved out of a single piece like a bathtub?

Quietly Making Noise Dave Greenspoon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jefflester View Post
    Scott's NAMM 2019 post says:
    And, introducing the Eastman ER-M El Ray Mandolin - Top wood solid Maple, Back/Sides solid one piece Mahogany, Finish nitrocellulose, pickup Lollar mandolin Humbucker.

Back and sides carved out of a single piece like a bathtub?
    No. Like a RIGEL! And FWIW, I am certainly interested in this offering. Wonder when the first one hits the Classifieds!
    Axes: Eastman MD-515 & El Rey; Eastwood S Mandola
    Amps: Fishman Loudbox 100; Rivera Clubster Royale Recording Head & R212 cab; Laney Cub 10

Blog Entries

From the linked page:
    – Back/Sides: Solid Mahogany with center Block

So a bit like a Gibson ES-335.

It's an interesting offering. I haven't seen anyone making something like this. Most emandos seem to be either adapted acoustic (hollow with a pickup) or solid bodied like a mandocaster.

Daniel

It is a chambered body. It has a block running down the center. I've used this style of construction for years. Reduces weight but still gives you some support. Notice they don't have a control cavity access panel in the rendition? I wonder where that is going to go? Back or side? Its a nice looking instrument.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1971.jpg 
Views:	299 
Size:	166.1 KB 
ID:	174272  

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to thistle3585 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by thistle3585 View Post
    It is a chambered body. It has a block running down the center. I've used this style of construction for years. Reduces weight but still gives you some support. Notice they don't have a control cavity access panel in the rendition? I wonder where that is going to go? Back or side? Its a nice looking instrument.
    Is that it mounted on the side?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	eastman erm.png 
Views:	381 
Size:	425.2 KB 
ID:	174274
    Last edited by JPS; Jan-25-2019 at 11:23am.
    The Loar LM-220 VS

Cutting chambers from a solid slab of wood has become popular with the widespread adoption of CNC technology. Load a board, flip the switch and the machine does the rest. It's far more cost effective than a traditional 335 or thinline build.

Epiphone has been doing it a lot - I had a Epi Wildkat built the same way and liked it. Makes for a solid instrument but takes off the excess weight.

My Fender FM60E is done as a traditional thinline whereas that last mandostrats Fender produced were solid alder. The latter was like a ton of bricks compared to the former.

It'll be interesting to hear how it sounds plugged in. While humbuckers have their advantages, they are not known for producing anything close to an "acoustic" tone.

I've always liked the El Ray guitar design and think it works very well on this mando as well.
    VerneAndru.com | oKee.ComX

- ---==< V >==--- -

Yes, its a 22 minute process on my CNC. I see a lot, and I do mean a lot, of people be surprised when they get an 8 string emando and discover that it doesn't sound like an acoustic instrument. There isn't any reason you can't put a decent piezo bridge on there, add a switch and wire it in.

Yes, its a 22 minute process on my CNC. I see a lot, and I do mean a lot, of people be surprised when they get an 8 string emando and discover that it doesn't sound like an acoustic instrument. There isn't any reason you can't put a decent piezo bridge on there, add a switch and wire it in.
    Are you saying have a blend/stereo-out available of the active and piezo pickups? That seems like a huge no-brainer, given the relatively cheap cost and the exponential increase in capability on stage or in studio. I'd likely be tempted to replace my Dillion with something like that, despite the excellent bridge upgrade.
    Amps: Fishman Loudbox 100; Rivera Clubster Royale Recording Head & R212 cab; Laney Cub 10

This one may be well worth figuring a way to get RMC saddles and pre-amp happening. RMC are standard on Godin and the best sounding I've heard so far. The El Rey appears optimized for electric playing with probably not much acoustic sound at all, but its solid build makes it ideal for RMC.

I found Ron McClish (RMC) to be very approachable and a great guy. He made me a custom preamp board for my Godin Multiac with a socketed op-amp so I could swap in a high-end Excalibur, so there's no harm in asking. This one may be worth the effort to compliment the humbucker, which no doubt sounds great in its own way.
    VerneAndru.com | oKee.ComX

- ---==< V >==--- -

[QUOTE=Dave Greenspoon;1697703]Are you saying have a blend/stereo-out available of the active and piezo pickups? That seems like a huge no-brainer, given the relatively cheap cost and the exponential increase in capability on stage or in studio. I'd likely be tempted to replace my Dillion with something like that, despite the excellent bridge upgrade.[/QUOTE

I don't think you can use a blend pot when mixing a passive and active circuit but I could be wrong. I'd wire a pickup selector switch so you'd either be piezo or magnetic on the existing mono jack. I guess I shouldn't be surprised that you're looking for ways to hotrod another instrument. Don't you have enough pedals that you could make a rubberband and a paperclip sound like Jimi Hendrix?

[QUOTE=thistle3585;1697901]
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Greenspoon View Post
    Are you saying have a blend/stereo-out available of the active and piezo pickups? That seems like a huge no-brainer, given the relatively cheap cost and the exponential increase in capability on stage or in studio. I'd likely be tempted to replace my Dillion with something like that, despite the excellent bridge upgrade.[/QUOTE

I don't think you can use a blend pot when mixing a passive and active circuit but I could be wrong. I'd wire a pickup selector switch so you'd either be piezo or magnetic on the existing mono jack. I guess I shouldn't be surprised that you're looking for ways to hotrod another instrument. Don't you have enough pedals that you could make a rubberband and a paperclip sound like Jimi Hendrix?
    I was thinking Rolfe had done something along those lines with the Phoenix Jazz models. I may be remembering the details incorrectly. Not really looking to hotrod anything right now, but just wondering. And ready for the funny thing? The new amp really has me disinclined to use much more than a tuner, phasor, light dirt, and delay.

If you put the pre-amp after the blending pot then I could see it working. Otherwise, I think the active signal would overshadow the passive signal and/or could send a signal to the magnetic pickup and causing feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Greenspoon View Post
    No. Like a RIGEL!
    A Rigel is pretty different. It's several pieces, and can be thinner than a typical electric build would be.

Blog Entries

I see a lot, and I do mean a lot, of people be surprised when they get an 8 string emando and discover that it doesn't sound like an acoustic instrument.
    Really? Wow.

D

I had a chance to play one of these today at the Fretboard Journal HQ. I offered to write a review, so I'll have to be tight-lipped here until the review is posted.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

22. The following members say thank you to mrmando for this post:

Blog Entries

Tease!

Daniel

24. The following members say thank you to Daniel Nestlerode for this post:

I am thinking just add a K&K...

Quote Originally Posted by kurth83 View Post
    I am thinking just add a K&K...
    Depends on how much center block there is. If it's under the bridge, you're not going to get much vibration where you would typically put a piezo disc (or two).

Blog Entries

Hey Martin, what's the scale length on the ERM? Eastman isn't saying on their website.

Thanks!
    Daniel

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Nestlerode View Post
    Hey Martin, what's the scale length on the ERM? Eastman isn't saying on their website.

Thanks!
    Daniel
    Pretty sure it was standard 13.875" although I didn't have a tape measure handy. I submitted the review and will post a link when it's live.

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

29. The following members say thank you to mrmando for this post:

All right, thanks for your patience, here are my remarks.
    https://www.fretboardjournal.com/col...-rey-mandolin/

31. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to mrmando For This Useful Post: