Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Amplifier for electric mandolin

Default Amplifier for electric mandolin

Hi All,
    Quick question to the e-mando players - what type of amp do you use ? My e-mando is coming around October ish and I will need an amp. Any suggestions. At the moment I am liking the Laney Ironheart IRT 30 watt valve amp - seems to have an excellent clean channel and a good range of tones/distortion should I need it. Plus it has a line in so I can play along. Any advice welcome.
    Thanks
    Paul

Default Re: Amplifier for electric mandolin

Quote Originally Posted by Paul 1401 View Post
    Hi All,
    Quick question to the e-mando players - what type of amp do you use ? My e-mando is coming around October ish and I will need an amp. Any suggestions. At the moment I am liking the Laney Ironheart IRT 30 watt valve amp - seems to have an excellent clean channel and a good range of tones/distortion should I need it. Plus it has a line in so I can play along. Any advice welcome.
    Thanks
    Paul
    I went the "clean sound" route, figuring that I can always "dirty it up" later, if I desire. So I chose the Bose S1, which, of course, also works as a portable PA. I use is as a monitor, as well. Not inexpensive. Not being tied to an electric outlet has its advantages, as well.

Blog Entries

I like the small class D bass amp heads, like the Trace Elliot Elf (200W). They are clean and powerful. I then use a custom cabinet with two 8" woofers, again for light weight and high power. I use an overdrive pedal to trim peaks and fatten the tone. My rig weighs 1.6 lbs for the head and 20 lbs for the cabinet.

Most small speakers are very bright and prone to shrill tone. The woofers I use are very smooth and match the high end of 12" guitar speakers. My recent recording was that rig miked.
    Bandcamp -- https://tomwright1.bandcamp.com/
    Videos--YouTube
    Sound Clips--SoundCloud
    The viola is proof that man is not rational

I use a Fender Blues Jr IV Tweed, 15w tube/valve amp. I picked it up about 6 months ago and really like it. Good clean tones and a little overdrive you can dial in. It is loud enough to easily keep up with a 7 piece funk/jazz band (drums, rhodes/organ, guitar, sax, trumpet, bass) if we don't have a PA. When we have a PA I can mic it up. It is very portable too (especially compared to my previous amp). Sounds great for western swing as well.

Before the Blues Jr, I used a Peavey Nashville 400. It was a super heavy 1980's solid state pedal steel amp with a 15" speaker. It was OK but a much prefer the Blues Jr.
    Ocean Blvd - Funky Jazz (https://oceanblvd.band)
    Cosmic Ramblers - Bluegrass, Americana (facebook.com/cosmicramblers)
    HotQua String Band - Gypsy Swing, Latin Bluegrass

Main Mandos: Nashville Flatiron A5 Artist, Belmuse 4 string electric

For my hollow body electric I mostly use a Blues Jr IV as well. Sometimes I use my Henriksen. Either one produces the clean, jazzy sound I'm looking for.
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

Going through a Headstrong Verbovibe. Pedalboard has a Boost, OD, Delay if needed, but I play it mostly clean.
    2022 Black A2-z #60
    1996 Summit Artist #99
    2018 Clark GBOM #208

My go to is a first generation Quilter MicroPro. Very happy with it.
    -----------
    Pete Martin
    www.PeteMartin.info
    Jazz and Bluegrass instruction books, videos, articles, transcriptions, improvisation, ergonomics, free recordings, private lessons

www.WoodAndStringsBand.com
    Jazz trio

www.AppleValleyWranglers.net
    Western Swing music

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Martin View Post
    My go to is a first generation Quilter MicroPro. Very happy with it.
    Bless their hearts, they discontinued them.
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

9. The following members say thank you to Bill McCall for this post:

As long as you can get a clean sound, there should be no problem. I use a Roland Cube, and it works well.

Fender Super Champ X2 with a 10" speaker for clean and "dirty" noise. I also have an old Fender Acoustisonic amp in the tilt-back cabinet, heavy but still sound very good.

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL

I use a ZT Lunchbox and extension speaker. Works really well for a clean sound, good with a drive pedal.

Another happy Blues Junior owner here. Mine has the same circuitry as the tweed but is in baby blue (just what they had in stock). Before I got it I used a 20 Watt Roland Cube. I prefer the tube tone, but the Roland is a nice inexpensive amp.

Blog Entries

What type of pickup do you have? Is it one designed to reproduce an acoustic(ish) sound or is it a magnetic pikcup, like the ones in elelctric guitars?
    The answer makes a difference to the type of amp that will be best suited to your instrument.

For my amplified acousitcs, I have an Orchid Elelctronics preamp which sends a signal to the PA. It is an excellent bit of kit and I recommend it highly. I learned about these from Show of Hands.
    For my properly electric mandolins, I run through amps designed to amplify electric guitars, though you could choose a bass amp if youlike. Specifically....
    - Ampeg Jet II J12-T (main amp)
    - Marshall MG30 CFX (back up/practice/very low volume)
    - Line6 POD 2.0 (signal sent to the PA --for large gigs or long distance travel)

None of these are still being made, but you can find them on Reverb from time to time. The Marshall has a caveat: I hate all the tones except the clean. They lack subtlety and nuance. So I drive the clean channel hard (volume and gain to 10) and then add a little overdrive from a Boss SD-1 when needed.

I just bought a Boss Katana KTN-Mini to play through while I'm visiting the US. So we'll see of that's any better than the Marshall.

Good luck!
    Daniel

15. The following members say thank you to Daniel Nestlerode for this post:

I use a Fishman Loudbox Mini for both acoustic and electric, then use pedals to get the dirt and tone for the e-mando. But also throwing out a +1 on the Bose S1 Pro because that is just a useful amp all around. Does it all... currently streaming John Prine Radio while I cook a pot pie.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Nestlerode View Post
    What type of pickup do you have? Is it one designed to reproduce an acoustic(ish) sound or is it a magnetic pikcup, like the ones in elelctric guitars?
    The answer makes a difference to the type of amp that will be best suited to your instrument.

For my amplified acousitcs, I have an Orchid Elelctronics preamp which sends a signal to the PA. It is an excellent bit of kit and I recommend it highly. I learned about these from Show of Hands.
    For my properly electric mandolins, I run through amps designed to amplify electric guitars, though you could choose a bass amp if youlike. Specifically....
    - Ampeg Jet II J12-T (main amp)
    - Marshall MG30 CFX (back up/practice/very low volume)
    - Line6 POD 2.0 (signal sent to the PA --for large gigs or long distance travel)

None of these are still being made, but you can find them on Reverb from time to time. The Marshall has a caveat: I hate all the tones except the clean. They lack subtlety and nuance. So I drive the clean channel hard (volume and gain to 10) and then add a little overdrive from a Boss SD-1 when needed.

I just bought a Boss Katana KTN-Mini to play through while I'm visiting the US. So we'll see of that's any better than the Marshall.

Good luck!
    Daniel
    Hi,
    It’s got (or will be getting) two blade humbuckers. Had the option of an acoustic, but went for the humbuckers so I could at least attempt playing a bit of Priest or something.

Oooo pot pie ! Recipe please ?
    Amp wise, the Laney Ironheart is still leading the amp choice at the moment, although Magnatone is looking nice (if I suddenly win a large amount)

Blog Entries

Ooo! Magnatone! I wish I had the cash for one. The stereo effects are very cool.
    (I have used two amps to go stereo at home, and I love using a chorus effect in stereo.)

Have a look at Blackstar too. The new Debut 50 looks pretty good.

Daniel

Off Topic (pot pie)
    4 Chicken thighs, oven cooked at 350F ~1:30hrs. Cool and pull meat, lightly salt
    Make stock with bones and skin (for use in sauce / freeze extra)
    Simmer 1/2-cup of stock (when ready) with 1 can coconut milk, sliced green onions, and sliced red serrano peppers
    I use pre-rolled pie dough from Kroger, but make your own if you're handy.
    Generously fill the pie form with pulled chicken
    Add full pack of frozen peas-n-carrots
    Add frozen diced potatoes
    Pour the simmered sauced over the contents until it reaches the rim.
    Add top crust and pierce with a fork design of your style.
    Bake 350F for ~2hrs.
    Add generous butter to the hot top crust.
    Sprinkle a 1-to-1 mix of brown sugar and salt and also some chopped sage.
    - Enjoy!

21. The following members say thank you to Michael H Geimer for this post:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20230708_163401.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	265.9 KB 
ID:	208447

Quote Originally Posted by Michael H Geimer View Post
    Off Topic (pot pie)
    4 Chicken thighs, oven cooked at 350F ~1:30hrs. Cool and pull meat, lightly salt
    Simmer 1/2-cup of stock (when ready) with 1 can coconut milk, sliced green onions, and sliced red serrano peppers
    Bake 350F for ~2hrs.
    - Enjoy!
    Looks good... I forwarded this to my wife

Al
    Eastman 915 B Mando
    Eastman MD-314 Mando
    Eastman MD-524 Mando
    Godin A-8 Mando
    Eastman MDO305 OM
    Eastman ER1 Mando
    TC Bouzouki TM375 Zook
    Eastman MDC-804 'Cello
    Eastman E60M
    Epiphone "Hummingbird"

Quote Originally Posted by Michael H Geimer View Post
    Off Topic (pot pie)
    Bake 350F for ~2hrs.
    - Enjoy!
    Talk about YUM !! This weekends recipe ! Thanks !

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Nestlerode View Post
    Ooo! Magnatone! I wish I had the cash for one. The stereo effects are very cool.
    (I have used two amps to go stereo at home, and I love using a chorus effect in stereo.)

Have a look at Blackstar too. The new Debut 50 looks pretty good.

Daniel
    Just been looking at the Laney Lionheart L20T 212 and the Marshall 2525C. Nice tones off them magnatone just a bit beyond the price range if I want my marriage to continue.

Registered User Matt Livingston's Avatar

I bought an Eastwood Mandocaster about a year ago. Found the original pickups to especially weak on the e string - even with compression. Wound up swapping out the pickups with Steven Ryder pickups for vast improvement in the balance. I bought a used Fender Hot Rod Deluxe (made in Mexico). It works well. Maybe a little bright when I'm alone but ultimately maybe that's helpful when balancing out the bass, guitar, and drums. I'm still playing with the settings. The reverb works intermittently (literally, like every other time I take it somewhere), so I bought a reverb pedal which works well enough.

Pedal board is: Wampler Ego Compressor > Walrus Audio Jupiter for thick fuzz > Walrus Audio War Horn for mostly clean boost > Flamma effects pedal (a cheapo set to auto wah) > MXR Carbon Copy (still learning how to use) > reverb pedal > Fender Hot Rod Deluxe.

I'm still playing around with settings. We play mostly Byrds, Beatles, Dead etc...

Originally, I was playing my Givens acoustic, but it couldn't cut through. The Eastwood is pretty versitile. I really like it.
    Last edited by Matt Livingston; Jul-14-2023 at 10:40am.

Registered User Matt Livingston's Avatar

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mandocaster.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	331.6 KB 
ID:	208563

The VHT Special 6 is an inexpensive, point to point wired, all tube low power combo with a 12” Celestion (i think). It’s a tweed champ 5F1 copy, or pretty close. I don’t have one anymore, and use an Acoustic Image Contra Combo, which is a great clean amp that is unfortunately not going to be built any more.