Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Fender Tele Tenor at NAMM

Default Re: Fender Tele Tenor at NAMM

I'll admit i've been a little frustrated with fender on this. First anticipating it sometime in July / August, then the dates getting pushed back. But more importantly, the communication has been a consistent issue. I don't think Fender has been communicating well with their distributors on the specifics of when this model will be in, how many there are available, the fact that there was a decision to discontinue the tenor model. I know this because i've spoken to several reps at places like Guitar Center, Chicago Music Exchange, Elderly, Sweetwater, even some obscure shop I cant remember the name of. They all kind of have different answers. How many they have available, when they'll have it, if it's been discontinued or not, etc... It's hard to get a straight answer because they've all been inconsistent. and now unfortunately it looks like the tenors that have been allocated to most of the aforementioned distributors are for the most part accounted for, but im crossing my fingers that my recent pre-order will come through.

Either way, I suppose its understandable (maybe?) because the tenor market is a niche market, and when it comes down to it Fender knows that it's not a cash grab. You know theres probably a small percentage of folks buying them who want it for the "collector's Appeal", some who think it some sort of neat toy, some who'll use it as a secondary instrument, some who will play it in their bedroom and then some who will play it as their main squeeze/gigging instrument. That being said, i'm going to assume that some used models will be available in the future.
    Last edited by EJMUSIC; Sep-16-2019 at 7:24pm.

Just had my pre-order canceled because they ended up not getting as many as they thought. Cream City Music. Super bummed!

Thanks
    Baron
    MandoLessons: Free Online Mandolin Lessons
    Velocipede: My Fiddle Tune Duo
    Old Time Mandolin: Solo Old Time Mandolin Album

I will say that it's not Cream City's fault, and I was promptly refunded and offered a complimentary set of strings for the inconvenience. Seems like fender didn't produce enough of these things. Hopefully there will be another run in the future.

Thanks
    Baron
    MandoLessons: Free Online Mandolin Lessons
    Velocipede: My Fiddle Tune Duo
    Old Time Mandolin: Solo Old Time Mandolin Album

4. The following members say thank you to Baron Collins-Hill for this post:

Gunnar 

Marketing ploy.

Likely will be re-released with an increased price.

Just my suspicious nature.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hildreth View Post
    Marketing ploy.

Likely will be re-released with an increased price.

Just my suspicious nature.
    That would make sense from a business perspective, but it would certainly create a lot of ill will towards Fender in the tenor guitar community.
    Blueridge BR-60T Tenor Guitar
    Eastwood Warren Ellis 2P Tenor Guitar

Quote Originally Posted by Baron Collins-Hill View Post
    I will say that it's not Cream City's fault, and I was promptly refunded and offered a complimentary set of strings for the inconvenience. Seems like fender didn't produce enough of these things. Hopefully there will be another run in the future.

Thanks
    Baron
    I received an email from guitar center that they would in face be receiving more in November.

As to the truth behind this i cant be 100% positive because its been kind of volatile

It looks like some shops online must have some inventory on tenor teles coming in for the November batch. I checked them this morning and you can add them to carts now at guitar center, Russo, cream city and a few others..still showing sold out at some other shops like Chicago music exchange and elderly. .

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shaqattack For This Useful Post:

Telephoned Fender customer service was told October 15th ship date.

Curious, does anyone else have a preorder?

My local music store is getting some.Will Check one out when it arrives.

Anyone got hold of the tenor tele yet, or have any more news?

Quote Originally Posted by kmmando View Post
    Ryan from Sweetwater called me last week to say they are shipping now (told one customer who received their's loved it). I was told mine is expected to ship November 7th.

Tyler from Chicago Music Exchange emailed last week: "Just reaching out to let you know the expected eta is mid November." & "Just wanted to update you on this, looks like these will more than likely be in Mid November now."

zZsounds, it appears, are taking pre-orders - December 10th estimate ship date.

https://www.zzounds.com/item--FEN0141042

I'll report back with my thoughts and some pictures once I receive one.

Huck

Just noticed your in Scotland. I'm in North America so I hope this helps a little.

Great post, thanks! I'm getting excited as they seem to be surfacing at last. Cheers Kevin Macleod

Quote Originally Posted by Huck View Post
    Ryan from Sweetwater called me last week to say they are shipping now (told one customer who received their's loved it). I was told mine is expected to ship November 7th.

Tyler from Chicago Music Exchange emailed last week: "Just reaching out to let you know the expected eta is mid November." & "Just wanted to update you on this, looks like these will more than likely be in Mid November now."

zZsounds, it appears, are taking pre-orders - December 10th estimate ship date.

https://www.zzounds.com/item--FEN0141042

I'll report back with my thoughts and some pictures once I receive one.

Huck

Just noticed your in Scotland. I'm in North America so I hope this helps a little.

Quote Originally Posted by kmmando View Post
    Hi,

I'm really disappointed. I ordered one in mid july from a european store (I live in europe), Thomann. The delivery was expected to be the 30th July. They first announce (at the beginnin of august) that it will be delayed to the end of september. A the beginning of october they announced end of november, and yesterday to the 15th of February 2020...

They say the problem is due to Fender (they claim not to have received one guitar). I have a few question:
    - has anyone see one of this tenor?
    - could it be complete vaporware? will they exist in the end?
    - do you think it would help to order on fender's website?

I think all of this is a really disrespectful for the customer, and a really awful way to conduct business...

Quote Originally Posted by pim888 View Post
    Hi,

They say the problem is due to Fender (they claim not to have received one guitar). I have a few question:
    Production problems happen especially with something new. Fender has never done a tenor (not that it's rocket-science) so give them some time to work it out. I've not seen them fail to deliver on a product yet, so I'd wait if you're really wanting one.

I'm really disappointed.

I think all of this is a really disrespectful for the customer, and a really awful way to conduct business...
    This is Fender culture. It's usually on full display at a NAMM show - unless you're a really big name they treat you like crap. If you want a Fender product you have to take it warts and all.
    VerneAndru.com | oKee.ComX

- ---==< V >==--- -

- has anyone see one of this tenor?
    I doubt there is such a conspiracy for Fender to spend on the R&D, NAMM show, advertising and such just for "vaporware". I also doubt that representatives of major guitar stores and Fender customer service would blatantly lie. To what end does this benefit Fender?

- do you think it would help to order on fender's website?
    In the USA ordering directly from Fender is not an option currently. Not sure if there is a shop Fender.com Europe

If you are that dissatisfied, just remember consumers can vote with their money.

I'm with Verne Andru - it is a completely new product launch. I'll wait six months if it means getting a good product versus Fender shipping garbage to satisfy a schedule. I don't care to purchase an Eastwood or a Soares'y at this time. Other options are very limited here in North America; so I'll wait patiently.

Just my thoughts.

Thanks to both of you for your answer, which I find reassuring. What I feel is damageable is the fact that they do not communicate. It is understandable to have production issues, but it is better to admit it than to leave the customer without any explanation... I think I will wait... but I hope they will not keep on postponing...

Kind regards.

Fender has the Tenor Tele listed on their website ( https://shop.fender.com/en-US/electr...141042302.html ), so maybe they had a change of heart and will be offering more than the initial production run. The web page says "notify me when available" so their supply issues aren't resolved yet, but they haven't given up on it yet either. I think if they stick with it they will sell a lot more than they expect.
    Blueridge BR-60T Tenor Guitar
    Eastwood Warren Ellis 2P Tenor Guitar

What I feel is damageable is the fact that they do not communicate.
    Even thought we players are the end customers of Fender products, they don't sell to us. All the big companies sell through distributors to resellers - those are the people they communicate with and pander to. While it may appear counter-intuitive, many companies fall into this trap - they alienate the end-customer chasing the middle-men. Lesser companies usually fail because of this, but so far Fender has enough momentum that they don't have to take their blinders off - yet. We're just not far enough up the food chain to matter. Get used to it.

Another thing to note is the global disruption to the supply chains. A month or so ago an edict came down from on-high ordering all US companies to move their businesses out of certain nation-states leaving many scrambling to find alternate sources. While this is behind the scenes stuff it is causing a major shake-up of the industry.

- ---==< V >==--- -

Hey everyone - I was in reverb and saw that a shop in Colorado called Spotlight Music has 2 for sale with pics that looked like they were from in their shop. I gave them a call and they said they arrived and are ready for anyone to take home - which means that they should be shipping soon for the rest of us. Can’t wait!

Just had my pre-order canceled because they ended up not getting as many as they thought. Cream City Music. Super bummed!

Thanks
    Baron

Thanks
    Baron
    Cream City is selling a red one on Reverb.

https://reverb.com/item/26352256-fen...ple-fiesta-red

There’s a review on that page and it says that the Tenor tele has the ‘worst setup and fretwork I’d ever seen on a Fender-brand instrument - sharp fret ends, poorly leveled frets, insanely high nuts slots - I don’t know how quality control let this get out of the factory.’ Wow.

24. The following members say thank you to Shaqattack for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Shaqattack View Post
    There’s a review on that page and it says that the Tenor tele has the ‘worst setup and fretwork I’d ever seen on a Fender-brand instrument - sharp fret ends, poorly leveled frets, insanely high nuts slots - I don’t know how quality control let this get out of the factory.’ Wow.
    As per industry "norms" the factory assembles the bits and it's up to the reseller to do the setup. Epiphone has picked up their game and pleck many of their instruments at the factory but that's the exception.

- ---==< V >==--- -

26. The following members say thank you to Verne Andru for this post:

Yeah, I contacted Chicago music exchange and asked them to set it up for me with GDAE tuning and to lower the action, etc. and they put a note on my account. I don’t mind paying the shop a bit extra to have it playable out of the shipment vs. having to take it to my luthier and waiting a few weeks.

28. The following members say thank you to Shaqattack for this post:

Do keep us posted as to how you get on with it. I'd be tuning it that way as well, so interested in the action/string gauges/types …. great!

This is kind of shocking, but Fender released a video about the tenor tele yesterday. 26k views too! Absolutely worth watching. The sentiment is ‘4 stringed guitars are fun to play and are perfect for kids.’ The comments are hilarious too. 80% are incredulous that fender made a tenor tele and 20% love it.
    https://youtu.be/TNgGS1bvOlc

31. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Shaqattack For This Useful Post: