Thread: New Tuners

Default New Tuners

I have a Regal 12-fret tenor that has a tuner slipping problem. The head is 5/8" thick and the tuner holes are 3/8" in diameter. I am considering replacing the tuners with a Grover product--probably Champion 4W, 6W, or 88s, but I don't know and haven't be able to find out by searching which will be the correct fit. Can anyone guide me to the correct set? Thanks in advance for all help.

Default Re: New Tuners

Can you tighten the existing tuner?

Guernsey... small island just off the coast of France

These are the ones I fitted to mine, absolutely superb in comparison to the originals!
    http://www.japarts.ca/Gotoh/Gotoh-Pr...PT-Ukulele.asp

The existing tuners, when tightened to the point where they don't slip, are too tight to be turned. This is accomplished by turning the slotted screw which passes through the button and holds the two halves of the tuner together. The Gotoh are very nice and would do the job superbly, except they don't fit my budget. That's why I am considering the Grovers. I can't find what the dimensions for the 4W, the 6W, and the 88s are. The Grover website doesn't address these items that I can find and I don't want to just throw money at one of them and hope I guessed correctly. Does anybody anywhere know anything about the ones I have mentioned?

Guernsey... small island just off the coast of France

No sorry I have no experience with the Grover pegs you mention, you might have more luck posting or searching on a ukulele site.
    You could try searching for Leader geared pegs, they are cheaper than Gotoh but they don’t eem to be available anymore!
    Every friction tuner I have come across, I have found very frustrating to use.