Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Darkest pick

Default Re: Darkest pick

I'm not sure why you're focusing on a different pick. Try some different strings. If you're using Phosphor Bronze, they are designed to be bright. Check out some flatwound strings.
    http://www.stringsandbeyond.com/dmaflme11fw.html

If the brightness is on the plain strings changing strings won't do much, as plain strings are plain strings. Varying the gauge may be something to try, but brands and types of strings only affect the wound strings.

Something else you might try is to check intonation. I find when the intonation is even slightly off, or the E strings are out of tune slightly, they sound bright. The G strings get more powerful if not tuned, but quiet if not intonated correctly.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

I'll second the recommendation for Dunlop Jazztone 208. Smoothest, darkest sounding pick I ever used, no click, good grip, and you can still pull out good volume.
    Be advised though, the point wears pretty fast compared to others. And they don't make a large triangle shape.

Peace. Love. Mandolin. Gelsenbury's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Zach Wilson View Post
    Pick angle can help as well. John Reischman demonstrates it here (4:30).

https://youtu.be/AvB2PxEsGbM
    You know, this thing about hitting the strings at an angle is something I've been told in every workshop and most instructional videos I've seen. So it still surprises me when slapping the strings flat is even presented as an option. But John Reischman is right, of course: It's yet another opportunity to change the tone as desired.

I must admit I never knew what people meant by wanting a "dark" sound on a trebly instrument such as mandolin. This thread is making it all clearer.

5. The following members say thank you to Gelsenbury for this post:

Try the Dunlop Flow Jumbo 2.5 or 3.0 They tend to be dark, but at the same time very loud.

The "darkest" combination I can imagine:
    Flatwound strings and one of these german "Wolle" picks...
    Mandolins: 1920s (?) Meinel & Herold Bowlback, 2006 Furch "Redwood MA-1" A5

Octaves: 2004 Fender FMO-66 Flat-Top, 2015 A. Karperien 5 String Electric

Banjos: 2007 Gold Tone IT-250F Irish Tenor, 1963 Vega Vox No. 1 Plectrum, 2016 Recording King RK-OT25 Clawhammer

Either Curt Mangan or D'addario is where I'd start.

I had bought a set of flat wound D'Addario's to try on an oval hole, but sold it before getting around to trying them. On a whim I put them on my MT not long before I sold it. I didn't expect to like them, but I was surprised to find the tone very pleasing (and not bright, IMO), and of course they felt good under my fingers. The person who bought the MT said they liked them as well. Might be worth a few bucks to try them; they weren't expensive.
    Riley

Kentucky KM-250

Guitars:
    RainSong SMH
    Blueridge BR-142
    The Loar LH-250
    Recording King RPS-9
    A Strat and a Tele

Thanks for so much great council. I put on D/A Monel strings and was amazed at the difference, they definitely toned down the brightness, I hear the mids much more and it does indeed sound more woody and somehow more organic. They seem to prefer my blue chip pick over the wegen. I’m not sure if I lost volume or not. I think it may sound that way as there are less highs. I will try them with the group this week and see how it works. They also feel different in a good way but I can’t identify exactly why. Overall I love them and it was way most effective than a pick change so once again thanks !

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eclectic1 For This Useful Post:

onassis,where can i find daddario monels for 6 dollars?

eclectic,the tone of daddario monels i love. the feel is just a great bonus;and they last like crazy for me. hope they work well
    in your group performance. please let us know.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Seale View Post
    Either Curt Mangan or D'addario is where I'd start.
    +1, assuming you're referring to monels. I'm kinda on a honeymoon with my first pack of CM monels but already plan to try the D'addario monels to compare.

onassis,where can i find daddario monels for 6 dollars?
    I seem to have been a little off Looks like they're $12 at my usual dealer. But, in my defense, I've been ordering six different kinds at a time, trying them all out on a new mandolin.
    Mitch Russell

Aha! I knew I'd seen $6 Monels somewhere! It's the Martin's at Strings and Beyond.
    Mitch Russell

I really prefer the Daddarios to the Martin monels in both feel and tone. I don't change these monel strings very often so the price diff. is no biggie.

But I would have bought a few of the $6 Daddarios if Icould find them.