Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Darkest pick

Default Darkest pick

Lots of threads on picks ! I figure what’s one more. I have had some reasonably good pick buying binges as I zero in on what I’m looking for. I play a Collings MT, so lovely but a little bright, it’s just too happy. I prefer a darker woodier tone and so I have run the usual gamut. Dawg and golden gate I struggle for sound. BC ct55 I initially loved but I do find it highlights the brightness. wegan tf 140 so far has the best tone thus far. Wondering if anyone has a favorite dark pick ?

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Darkest pick

Sign up for the traveling pick sampler. That is the best way to do a complete research of the question. R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

3. The following members say thank you to UsuallyPickin for this post:

Caleb 

Ive tried a lot of picks, and the darkest I have found is the D'Andrea Pro Plec 346 Rounded Triangle (Shell 1.5mm).
    I remember reading that Mike Marshall used that pick because of the darker tone, which he likes.

Having said that, there is only so much "woody" that a pick will bring out, if the mandolin doesn't tend to lean toward that tone.
    I find Collings to be a bit bright for my taste.
    I spent a lot of time trying to get a certain type of tone out of my first mandolin.
    I tried different picks, strings, and whatever else I could, but in the end I realized that that particular mandolin wasn't going to sound the way I wanted it to, no matter what I did to it.
    Eventually I ended up with a new mandolin that fit the tone I was looking for without jumping through hoops.
    Just a thought.
    Mandolins: Northfield 5-Bar Artist Model "Old Dog", J Bovier F5 Special, Gibson A-00 (1940)
    Fiddles: 1920s Strad copy, 1930s Strad copy, Liu Xi T20, Liu Xi T19+ Dark.
    Guitars: Taylor 514c (1995), Gibson Southern Jumbo (1940s), Gibson L-48 (1940s), Les Paul Custom (1978), Fender Strat (Black/RWFB) (1984), Fender Strat (Candy Apple Red/MFB) (1985).
    Sitars: Hiren Roy KP (1980s), Naskar (1970s), Naskar (1960s).
    Misc: 8 Course Lute (L.K.Brown)

+1 for the D'Andrea. And, bonus, they're pretty cheap.
    Mitch Russell

+1 on the pick sampler. I got both #1 and #2 when I got my MT2. I found the D'Andrea and Dunlop Primetone brown no grip as well as the Dawg pick to be a bit darker. That's what I'm using (all 3) these days.

I've tried a lot of picks but keep coming back to the Wegen TF-140 for its tone and long life. I find that the D'Andrea Pro Plec 346 Rounded Triangle (Shell 1.5mm). and the Dawg picks have too much clicky pick noise for me. The fluidity I get with Wegen and the tone win day. Not a bad idea to try the traveling pick thing though.

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

I once owned an MT that I found overly bright on occasion, particularly for solo play. In such instances, I felt that my Red Bear Big Heavy Picker C did the best job of taming it.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

Quote Originally Posted by CWRoyds View Post
    Ive tried a lot of picks, and the darkest I have found is the D'Andrea Pro Plec 346 Rounded Triangle (Shell 1.5mm).
    I remember reading that Mike Marshall used that pick because of the darker tone, which he likes.

Having said that, there is only so much "woody" that a pick will bring out, if the mandolin doesn't tend to lean toward that tone.
    I find Collings to be a bit bright for my taste.
    I spent a lot of time trying to get a certain type of tone out of my first mandolin.
    I tried different picks, strings, and whatever else I could, but in the end I realized that that particular mandolin wasn't going to sound the way I wanted it to, no matter what I did to it.
    Eventually I ended up with a new mandolin that fit the tone I was looking for without jumping through hoops.
    Just a thought.
    Ya. I know that the Collings is bright, too bright and the pick can’t totally change that so maybe I will end up with a different mandolin. After I bought it I played a Webber F Bitter Root that had a sound that I preferred but i was out of price range on that one and I had already bought thr collings so financially it would has been difficult so for now I will keep the Collings, it’s really beautiful on so many levels, just a little too cheerful for me, I really had no idea what I was doing when I bought it and I think we only have 7 mandolins on the entire peninsula! Meanwhile I did find that the wegen took the edge off and thought maybe I could find something even better

Quote Originally Posted by pheffernan View Post
    I once owned an MT that I found overly bright on occasion, particularly for solo play. In such instances, I felt that my Red Bear Big Heavy Picker C did the best job of taming it.
    I will try the red bear. You are right down the road from me. I’m in west palm. I didn’t know there were any other mandolin players in the state ! If it wasn’t for Penny Lane in Lauderdale I would not have found a mandolin period.

Try a variety of different strings as well as picks. Not all picks of any one thickness/material will sound good with all brands/gauges of string = logical !. You should eventually find a really good combo.that suits your mandolin,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Ivan has a great point. I find that monel strings can tone down some of the brightness.
    Mitch Russell

Worlds ok-ist mando playr Zach Wilson's Avatar

Pick angle can help as well. John Reischman demonstrates it here (4:30).

https://youtu.be/AvB2PxEsGbM

For a bit darker tone I like a M-model Wegen 2.0mm or thicker. Does it for me.

Yep,Monel strings might help too.

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Eclectic1 View Post
    Ya. I know that the Collings is bright, too bright and the pick can’t totally change that so maybe I will end up with a different mandolin. After I bought it I played a Webber F Bitter Root that had a sound that I preferred but i was out of price range on that one and I had already bought thr collings so financially it would has been difficult so for now I will keep the Collings, it’s really beautiful on so many levels, just a little too cheerful for me, I really had no idea what I was doing when I bought it and I think we only have 7 mandolins on the entire peninsula! Meanwhile I did find that the wegen took the edge off and thought maybe I could find something even better
    I eventually took this approach and sold my MT locally when I was moving house, and while I don't regret any of the mandolins that I have released, I miss that one the most. It just happened to shine in an application (cutting through a loud mix) that is not a primary need.

I will try the red bear. You are right down the road from me. I’m in west palm. I didn’t know there were any other mandolin players in the state ! If it wasn’t for Penny Lane in Lauderdale I would not have found a mandolin period.
    I remember when Penny Lane was first starting out and Eastman was their premiere line of mandolins. I was stunned the last time I went there to find a bunch of Collings and Webers, including an octave, on the wall. And now, they're hosting bands like Mile Twelve and mandolin workshops with David Benedict!

https://pennylaneemporium.com/event/...-january-24th/

However, you should be able to find mandolins closer to home in West Palm. Have you checked out Wolfe Guitars?

https://wolfeguitars.online/shop?ols...new--pre-owned
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

I really look like that soliver's Avatar

I use a BC TAD 1R on my Silverangel.. it has 2 similar points like the CT55 but a 3rd rounded corner. I don't use that corner that offen, but it does darken it a bit when I choose to use it, but the trade off is that it loses volume.

For decades I have exclusively used Jim Dunlop Jazztones large round tip guitar picks (dOD 207). They are very thick with a round point and nice side contour. They are the "darkest" (most fundamental) of any I've found, including blue chips. They are also black in color, which is also darkest.

18. The following members say thank you to David L for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by pheffernan View Post
    I eventually took this approach and sold my MT locally when I was moving house, and while I don't regret any of the mandolins that I have released, I miss that one the most. It just happened to shine in an application (cutting through a loud mix) that is not a primary need.

I remember when Penny Lane was first starting out and Eastman was their premiere line of mandolins. I was stunned the last time I went there to find a bunch of Collings and Webers, including an octave, on the wall. And now, they're hosting bands like Mile Twelve and mandolin workshops with David Benedict!

https://pennylaneemporium.com/event/...-january-24th/

However, you should be able to find mandolins closer to home in West Palm. Have you checked out Wolfe Guitars?

https://wolfeguitars.online/shop?ols...new--pre-owned

YES!!! I may be at the mandolin workshop and will definitely see Mile twelve tonight. I’m probably not going to be at the same level as everyone else but I will do it anyway if the timing works. Yes I did go to Wolfe , they had a Weber Yellowstone that I loved. It was after I had bought the Collings so it was really impossible to do. I also like the neck profile better. I literally had no idea what I was doing and At the time I bought the Collings Penny Lane only had eastmans.

I love Penny Lane. It has a community, they have nice events and good people. I’m from Chicago where thr music community is huge, there is not a lot of that in West Palm. I missed it so I drive down to Penny Lane when ever they have something going on. It’s a fun place.

Yes I did go to Wolfe , they had a Weber Yellowstone that I loved. It was after I had bought the Collings so it was really impossible to do. I also like the neck profile better. .
    They would most likely be happy to trade the Collings for the Weber. Liking the sound is important, the neck profile equally important.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Quote Originally Posted by pops1 View Post
    They would most likely be happy to trade the Collings for the Weber. Liking the sound is important, the neck profile equally important.
    Nope. Tried. Even tried to do it with a loss and he was not interested.

Lots of threads on picks ! I figure what’s one more. I have had some reasonably good pick buying binges as I zero in on what I’m looking for. I play a Collings MT, so lovely but a little bright, it’s just too happy. I prefer a darker woodier tone and so I have run the usual gamut. Dawg and golden gate I struggle for sound. BC ct55 I initially loved but I do find it highlights the brightness. wegan tf 140 so far has the best tone thus far. Wondering if anyone has a favorite dark pick ?
    I think the Dawg and the ProPlec are the darkest sounding for me. I second some of the other opinions, try Monel strings, but not much is going to tame the bright high end on that mando. That's the sound they were after in building it.

You could watch for a Weber used, and either keep the Collings for what it is good at, and buy the Weber too, or sell the Collings (they seem to sell well in the classifieds.) I have a Weber Bitterroot oval hole in addition to my Collings and Pava, they all have different sounds and I like them for different purposes. As far as picks go, the darkest I have found are the Pickboy picks (the gray ones with the marijuana leaf on them.)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Seale View Post
    I think the Dawg and the ProPlec are the darkest sounding for me. I second some of the other opinions, try Monel strings, but not much is going to tame the bright high end on that mando. That's the sound they were after in building it.
    I just want to take the edge off. I see several brands that make monel strings , any one in particular?

If you choose to follow the advice of changing mandolins, it should be quick and easy to sell your Collings for between $1700-$2000.

I know not everyone is comfortable selling things online, but I have found it to be quite easy to sell on Mandolin Cafe classifieds and on Craigslist. Especially something as in demand as an MT, and if you live in an area with a large population nearby, as it seems you do. People who really want an MT will drive a ways to buy one if you aren't willing to go to the trouble to ship it.

The MC classifieds work great and your pool of buyers is very focused, but payment and shipping aren't as straightforward as a local sale for cash.

Craigslist has worked great for me; I have sold two ukes and at least three mandolins on CL, including an MT a couple of months ago. However, you MUST follow some common sense guidelines using CL (as well as MCafe). There are several threads on the Cafe and on Acoustic Guitar Forum with all the tips you need. PM me if you'd like to talk about this.

I know the idea of selling on CL is quite contentious, and I don't want this to turn into a discussion about CL, MC classifieds, etc. I have had good results over many transactions, and hope this isn't too far off the OP's question about a darker sounding mandolin!
    Last edited by rfloyd; Jan-24-2019 at 1:21pm. Reason: clarification
    Riley

Kentucky KM-250

Guitars:
    RainSong SMH
    Blueridge BR-142
    The Loar LH-250
    Recording King RPS-9
    A Strat and a Tele

I had an MT2 that was too bright, I sold it and got a Elkhorn A and it is all I could hope for in sound, depth, and volume.

I see several brands that make monel strings , any one in particular?
    I'm a big fan of Curt Mangan strings, and I can unreservedly recommend their Monels. I used them for about a year on my Northfield. I recently purchased a set of D'Addario Monels to try out on a new mandolin, but I have yet to put them on. I was pleasantly surprised by how affordable they are ($6 or so). I've also used D'Addario NB's in the past, Monel-ish, but a little different. A similar, very fundamental tone.
    Mitch Russell

28. The following members say thank you to onassis for this post: