Thread: Theme and Variations

Default Theme and Variations

Throwing this out there for you mandolinists with some musical theory background or interest: any good ressources for studying how to create variations for a theme?
    [Playing Since] March 2011
    [Own] Kentucky KM-150 A-Style Body with F-style Holes

Default Re: Theme and Variations

What genre? Classical, jazz, bluegrass, etc.? Are you composing or just trying to improvise?
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

3. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Dont really care on the genre at the moment. Just trying to learn how to do it and then looking to apply it to some well known hymns and such.
    So whatever you got that can help will be more than useful!
    Because as of right now my only option is printing a copy of mozart's Je Vous Dirais-Je Maman and trying to figure out myself the variations from the original theme which sounds like a painful process.

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Mateus View Post
    Because as of right now my only option is printing a copy of mozart's Je Vous Dirais-Je Maman and trying to figure out myself the variations from the original theme which sounds like a painful process.
    You can take this to any depth you want, really, from simply having multiple listens and noting the thematic variations existentially as you listen, to documenting things in a score as you've mentioned. Painful? Certainly could be, I suppose. They say, "No pain, no gain."

I'd suspect that variations on themes historically have sought to be fresh and creative, rather than simply made according formula, which seems to be what you are asking for ... unless I miss your meaning entirely.
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

----------------------------------
    HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

6. The following members say thank you to Mark Gunter for this post:

I agree with Mark that there is no one way to do it. After you compose a theme then the further skill is in the variations.

Beethoven wrote four pieces for an amateur mandolin student of his (rumor has it that amateur may have included multiple meaning of the word). The least played one is Variations for Mandolin and Piano (D DUR WOO 44B). Nice opening theme is very simple but pleasant then the mandolin takes off with a triplet variation. In one variation the mandolin just sits back and plays chop chords (kidding, of course) while the piano takes the break. Then the mandolin comes back with another variation. Here is a good recording to listen and analyze.

All the other Beethoven mandolin pieces are available online at imslp.org except for the Theme and Variations. Oh well...

In general, for these themes and variations you can vary the tempi and the rhythms. You can also switch from minor to major or even to another key. if it is a duet or larger group there can be conversations between instruments. It is really improvisation on paper as composer as opposed to as player like in jazz or bluegrass. There are plenty of other examples out there, classical or otherwise.
    Last edited by Jim Garber; Mar-04-2019 at 12:20pm.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jim Garber For This Useful Post:

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

Look at this book by John McGann https://play.google.com/store/books/...E&gclsrc=aw.ds R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

Quote Originally Posted by Mateus View Post
    That is a fun piece to listen to. He must have had a blast composing that.

However, Wolfgang drew on what was in his head back in his time. It would be great to hear a modernized version with some variations flavored from 20th century genres like bluegrass, swing, bebop, choro, etc.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Here's another theme and variations played by my friend Carlo Aonzo. He has been playing this piece for as long as I have known him: Antonio Riggieri's Variations on La Fustemberg.

Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Thank you all!

I was asking for a method or formula to my madness so to speak. But these examples can help too!

Sometimes i wish music was more formaic and less expressive XD

Learn by the examples. There are some similar threads. Just see what you can come up with. Go with your musical gut. You can always read the music note of note or create your own. It is all good.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

14. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    That is a fun piece to listen to. He must have had a blast composing that.

However, Wolfgang drew on what was in his head back in his time. It would be great to hear a modernized version with some variations flavored from 20th century genres like bluegrass, swing, bebop, choro, etc.
    Interesting mandolin trivia: there is in fact a set of six 18th century variations to that same tune ("Ah Vous Dirais-Je Maman") written specifically for two mandolins. Contemporaneous with Mozart's variation, but written by Pietro Denis as part of his mandolin method. I don't think I've come across a recording, and I'm not sure who came first, Mozart or Denis.

Martin

That’s right. I have played that out of that book with Denis and other composers for mandolin. I have to take a look at that.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Another good source of relatively simple Baroque variations suitable for mandolin is Playford's Division Violin (and/or the almost identical "Division Flute") from 1685, available at IMSLP and in various free or commercial modern editions. It contains about 20 tunes with variations. The advantage of these over the more elaborately composed variations by "name" composers such as Beethoven, Mozart or Vivaldi is that they tend to be simpler and it's easier to see what the composer did.

I have in the past recorded four of these sets of variations:

Greensleeves to a Ground
    Johnny, Cock Thy Beaver
    Faronell's Division on a Ground ("La Folia")
    John Banister's Division on a Ground

Martin

18. The following members say thank you to Martin Jonas for this post:

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DavidKOS For This Useful Post:

That is great. I actually listened to the recording above and I started taking notes but that writer saved me a lot of time.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Confused... or?
    Over the Hudson & thru the woods from NYC

I found some of Pete Martin's stuff to be very helpful, especially the bluegrass improvisation one, even though I'm not at all a hardcore 'grasser.
    http://www.petimarpress.com/index.html

A PERSONAL CONFESSION:
    Pete, I owe you actual money! I got two of your download books waaay back when. (The deal had been to get 'em free and pay if you find them helpful.) Read thru 'em on the commuter train to NYC, always intending to get back and digest them in detail but, uhmm, life gets in the way. But considering the 500 or so times that I've mentally said, "Oh yeah, Pete Martins's book said to ...", I'll be sending out a check!
    - Ed

"Then one day we weren't as young as before
    Our mistakes weren't quite so easy to undo
    But by all those roads, my friend, we've travelled down
    I'm a better man for just the knowin' of you."
    - Ian Tyson

This is tremendous stuff guys and gals!
    Ill be filling up my bookmarks and go through it!