Thread: K&K vs Shertler Resocoil

Default K&K vs Shertler Resocoil

Hey Folks,

I've had some discussion about this in other threads but figured it would make sense to make my own thread. Currently I have been using a Dyn-M. It is great tonally, but I really don't love the application of it with the sticky tack and having to leave it attached when I am gigging. It also has left some marks as a result of pressing it against the varnish (I know this is probably user error). Would love to be able to mute the mandolin, unplug it, use a tuner, etc. I like the idea of being able to use some effects but am not married to that. I also really just like the sound of the mandolin on its own which I think the Shertler Dyn M does a good job of producing. I play in a 5 piece BG band and we all plug in. I also bought a Tonebrone Pre, that I haven't used yet. For this application what would you recommend?

Default Re: K&K vs Shertler Resocoil

Hey Josh,

I use a Schertler through a Zoom A3 pedal. The Zoom gives you a mic level XLR input, a boost switch, EQ, effects, a mute switch that turns on a built-in tuner that's no good, and runs on batteries or a wall wart. It sounds about as natural as any pickup/pre combo I've used. It's made of substantial metal and the switches all feel like good quality. The only downside is the menu system--I have to dig out the manual and do a lot of button pushing to figure anything out, but I only use it a couple times a year.

I also switched from the Schertler putty to blu tack type putty. It makes it much easier to deal with putting it on and it comes off easier.

I attach the skinny XLR cable from the Schertler to a regular mic cable and wind up the skinny cable with the XLR connections and stuff that in my back pocket of my jeans. I wish there was a more elegant solution, but it works.

Good luck with it all.

Don
    2010 Heiden A5, 2020 Pomeroy oval A, 2013 Kentucky KM1000 F5, 2012 Girouard A Mandola w ff holes, 2001 Old Wave A oval octave
    http://HillbillyChamberMusic.bandcamp.com
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/@hillbillychambermusic

Thanks Don. Part of what I am trying to understand also is if there is any difference in tone between the resocoil (which is passive) and the Dyn M which require Phantom. I still have a hard time understanding how all this stuff works.

Josh, I used to use the Schertler, but never liked the sound all that much and feedback was a problem. Most pickups sound different at higher volumes and not as acoustic. I use a K&K and a FireEye. The mounting of the K&K is a little different, but my mandolin sounds like my mandolin and is a great representation of the sound of my mandolin. I am very happy with it. Sold the Schertler years ago. If you use a tone guard it will feedback sooner, so I always took that off to gig with. Each situation is different and what works for you may be different than what works for someone else. Don likes the sound he is getting with the Schertler, it didn't blow my dress up as a friend of mine used to say.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Thanks for the info. Any other opinions would be greatly appreciated.

I only have schertlers, would love to compare them to a K&K sometime.

They have a pretty low signal output, closer to mic level than instrument level, so they need a nice clean preamp or you will get hiss.

I also find them sensitive to the pre-amp used, sound was colored overmuch when I used a cheap preamp. Technically their impedance is designed for direct to a 10k ohm input (meaning no DI box). The K&K is intendfed for a 1 mOhm input (a pedal), so DI box needed.

They don't sound very good plugged into my zoom MS-60B (its 1 mOhm preamp leaves a bit to be desired), but sound decent plugged into an MXR micro amp (a good clean 1 mOhm preamp). I bought an impedance matcher to match the Schertler to a pedal, and surprisingly that had no effect.
    It was finding a preamp it liked that did the trick.

One of my mandos (the oval hole), is a bit thumpy with the Schertler (hammer-ons in particular come through slightly), a low cut at 200hz doesn't completely remove it, but my F holes are fine with it.

They don't pick up pick noise like a mic will, so that's one in favor of pickups, chances are the K&K is the same there.

I can get them to feed back but it takes pretty high gain to do it. I think that will depend on your stage volumes and how loud you like your monitors. I am not a fan of loud monitors, and our stage volumes are low, so no problems here.

I do really like the nice warm sound they give.
    Davey Stuart tenor guitar (based on his 18" mandola design).
    Eastman MD-604SB with Grover 309 tuners.
    Eastwood 4 string electric mandostang, 2x Airline e-mandola (4-string) one strung as an e-OM.
    DSP's: Helix HX Stomp, various Zooms.
    Amps: THR-10, Sony XB-20.

Thumbs up Re: K&K vs Shertler Resocoil

I have a Ring switch Mic cable End from Nutrik, I plug the Dyn M plug into .. that kills the signal .
    A very simple Soldering job on an existing mic cable..

Reso coil is the successor to the C Dyn S and made for installation. (No Case)

the portable ones have 2 a passive and the one needing that phantom power..

the passive , Old original one , I've even used a XLR to 1/4" impedance matching transformer,

(Cheap) and plugged into guitar amps..

Last edited by mandroid; Jan-26-2019 at 7:43pm.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Try JJB -- I have on 2 mandolins and will be getting one for guitar soon. I have no financial interest. JJB pre-amp is also very good. Clean, with volume but no other controls.

http://jjb-electronics.com/
    <><><>><<><><>
    Start slow, fade early

9. The following members say thank you to Dave Martin for this post:

Exclamation Re: K&K vs Shertler Resocoil

I note : Only non Piezo other than Schertler is the AKG C-411..

so piezo + pre amp is the way to go with that type.

best to buy them from same source , so you get an impedance handshake between the 2..

writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture