Thread: Recommendations

Default Recommendations

I've been playing mandolin for a few years and I play well enough to have played in a couple of bands using my hack, self-taught style. No one would mistake me for a bluegrass player.

That said, I'm ready to move on from my cheap Fender to a real instrument. I'd like to stay below $1000 and prefer used to new instruments. What would be your top 3 instruments in that price range? Please only recommend instruments that you've actually played.

I know y'all get this question all the time but I didn't see it in the 6-8 pages I scanned. Thanks in advance!

Default Re: Recommendations

Lots of good choices under $1k, even new. Midrange Eastman and Kentucky mandolins with a good setup could be a good answer. I play an MD505 A-style ($699) and an MD315 F-style ($699) - solid carved woods, hide glue construction - and love both. My next upgrade looks like in the $3k range (maybe a Northfield F5S, but lots of choices in the $2k to 3k range). I've only bought one used mandolin but generally buy new - it seems like manufacturer quality is steadily improving from both Eastman and Kentucky (among others), so to me the extra risks of a used mandolin without a warranty (and potential problems with a seller, payment, shipping, etc.) aren't really worth it.

The Mandolin Cafe Classifieds are worth lots of reading, as are multiple upgrade threads on this forum. Do you have access to any music stores with a decent selection of better mandolins? Getting your hands on a range of instruments is very important. You can read all the reviews out there and watch all the videos, but you won't know how an instrument will feel and play for YOU till you get your hands on one and see how flat vs radiused fingerboard does for you, how the various neck contours feel to your hand, if you prefer A or F style, if you prefer f-hole vs oval hole, and of course there a whole world of choices for types of wood for top and body. Some folks even take trips to places with good music stores just so they can play a wider range of good mandolins.

Good luck!
    Doug Brock
    2018 Kimble 2 point (#259), Eastman MD315, Eastman MDA315, some guitars, banjos, and fiddles

I'd try to find a Kentucky 900, 950, or get lucky with a 1050. I have also liked the Eastman 315 I played recently. The master Kentuckys are nice though.

And just because we can't stay in your budget,nyou can find a Weber Galatin, summit, or Silverangel if patient for $1200, a very worthy budget buster alternative.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Br1ck For This Useful Post:

I played lots of mandolins in both Gruhns and Carter Vintage, and the Eastman 315 was very close to many expensive mandolins to my ears.

This.......

https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/134008#134008

NFI

The 315 is good too but the 515 has better tuners.
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

Quote Originally Posted by Charles E. View Post
    This.......

NFI

I played an MD515 before getting the MD315 last month, and I thought the MD315 definitely sounded better. I had read the complaints about the lower-quality tuners and the stamped tail piece of the 300 series, and I had read suggestions that you might as well get the MD515 to begin with, but to my ears the MD315 just sounded better! Yes, MD315 tuners aren't the best (and if a couple of these don't loosen up enough, I'll install some Grover 309's), but I love the MD315's sound (and the MD315 has the cast tail piece now).

This morning I played the MD315 a little before work and as I happily hung it back on the wall hanger, the thought crossed my mind that I could be happy if I never bought an upgrade instrument (and I've played quite a few mandolins in the $3k-$6k range). Ok, I'll probably buy an upgrade instrument in the $2k-3k range in a year or two or three, but for now I'm focusing less on what instrument to buy next and more on just playing.
    Doug Brock
    2018 Kimble 2 point (#259), Eastman MD315, Eastman MDA315, some guitars, banjos, and fiddles

8. The following members say thank you to Doug Brock for this post:

Like quite few others here, I'm a long time guitar player who got hooked on mandolin. I've been playing somewhat seriously for the past 5 or 6 years, and have gone through quite a few mandolins along the way. I first bought a The Loar LM-600 (i think). It had a very thick finish, the fit & finish work was not great, but it was ok to start on after getting a setup from Robert Fear. I then owned an Eastman 515 and a Kentucky km-950. The woods and fit and finish on the Eastman were far superior to the Loar, but I thought the tone was thin and it lacked volume. I did play a 315 at a local music store that sounded great, especially when compared side-by-side to the Loar I had then. The km-950 was an overall awesome instrument with great fit/finish, nice wood, loud, and solid tone. I bought it from the Mandolin Store, so the setup was good when I got it. I owned the 950 simultaneously with a Pava A5, early Lewis F5 and and 1999 Flatiron Festival F5, and I thought the Kentucky held up really well to all. Thought it was better than the Flatiron. I remember thinking if I could have just one mandolin, the 950 would meet all my needs. Don't know how the new ones compare, but I thought it was a great mandolin for the money. I now have just one mandolin (a Pava) and am trying to resist MAS, but would certainly consider a Kentucky if shopping again.

10. The following members say thank you to Scott L for this post:

I would agree that the Eastman 315 can sound very good. In the past I have owned a 315 and a 314 and liked them both. I did replace the tuners on the 315 and was happy with the results. Eastman mandolins can vary a lot in tone. I have played 815's and 915's that were duds and once played a 505 that peeled the paint off the walls it was so loud. I am not a fan of "The Loar" mandolins, necks and finish are too thick. I have not played enough Kentucky mandolins to offer an opinion but they have a good reputation and a lot of fans here.
    Good luck with your upgrade!

Oh, and make sure you enter the give away for the Weber Yellow Stone mandolin here on the Cafe, you never can tell.
    Last edited by Charles E.; Jan-22-2019 at 7:23pm.
    Charley

This.......

NFI

I played a friend's 515 for a while a couple of weeks ago and that's what gave me the bug for a better instrument. It kind of knocked me out for the price.

I just put in the winning entry for that Weber today

14. The following members say thank you to Chumphrey for this post:

Dave Sheets

If your entry for that Weber doesn't pan out, watch for a used Flatiron A, some of them pop up for $1000 or less.
    -Dave
    Flatiron A
    Way too many other instruments

Speak of the Devil, this just popped up in the classifieds this morning.......

https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/134460#134460

NFI
    Charley

Speak of the Devil, this just popped up in the classifieds this morning.......

https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/134460#134460

NFI
    Well that did not last long.
    Charley

I was in your position until recently. I can’t speak to the higher end Kentuckys or Eastmans recommended above, but I was able to find a local (enough) builder, go to his shop, try out maybe 8 mandos and come home with one in your price range. It’s a little rough around the edges with the detailing but I think it punches above its class, and has a lot of character. I was looking with my ears, and am happy with my purchase, and happy to support an independent builder. Good luck!

There are quite a few good used mandolins for $1K or less. Kentucky 900 and 950 are good. Eastman 515 can be had new for $999. I found a really good 1991 Flatiron A that I love for $1000. Check the classifieds daily and if you can’t visit some well stocked mandolin stores, check web sites for places like The Mandolin Store, Elderly, Mandomutt, The Music Emporium, etc. to see what they are offering for both new and used mandolins. Good luck and have fun shopping.
    2007 Sumi F-5 Deluxe
    1991 Flatiron Performer A
    Martin D-35