Thread: Do I post about my latest improvements?

Default Do I post about my latest improvements?

I wonder whether anyone wants to read these silly posts, but it is exciting to progress so quickly after the early years of frustration where progress seemed so slow, and I doubted I was ever going to be able to play well.

- On a side note: my Eastman MD604SB has opened up, after being played on for many hours over the last 3 months. I have not had an instrument open up that fast before, but it was used, so unknown how much it was played on before I got it.

- I signed up for the Artist Works classical music course a few months back. After many hours of practice (all on the above Eastman), lots of things about my technique have improved. The classical motivated me to practice a lot more, and I focused on improving the stuff I wanted (mostly arpeggiation forms - since I want to play in a church band where that kind of stuff is handy).

The big surprise is I can at long last play 16th notes at 90 bpm - you've all heard me whine about this frequently, since our bluegrass jam plays at 90 bpm and I couldn't keep up. Many of the Bluegrass tunes I know are now playable at that speed. It just sort of happened, I wasn't really working on speed. With classical it was all about slow precision fretting and careful tone production. It is still limited to good days when I sleep well, so we'll see how long it takes before I can do it on most days.

If I think back over the years I remember when a steady 60 bpm became doable, then 70, then 80, now 90.

The beginning etudes in the Calace book are marked q = 112 for 16ths, that's my next goal. :-) And the showpieces by the pros often go at 140-160ish, doubt I'll ever get there but I am not giving up any time soon either.
    Davey Stuart tenor guitar (based on his 18" mandola design).
    Eastman MD-604SB with Grover 309 tuners.
    Eastwood 4 string electric mandostang, 2x Airline e-mandola (4-string) one strung as an e-OM.
    DSP's: Helix HX Stomp, various Zooms.
    Amps: THR-10, Sony XB-20.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kurth83 For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Do I post about my latest improvements?

Keep posting, newbies can become less frustrated hearing some one else has had a problem and overcame it. Also I've been playing 50+ years and I'll see something posted from someone just learning and think " he's right why have I never thought of that". I was told early in my mandolin journey that no matter how inexperienced I thought some one was if I watched them long enough I would learn something. I've never forgot that statement and hope I never do, for that is when you stop learning.

4. The following members say thank you to Mandoplumb for this post:

Thank you for posting this, Kurt. I've been playing only about a month and a half, and it's encouraging to read the story of someone who can remember being there and has seen himself progress.
    The Loar LM-220 VS

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

Great stuff, Kurt, thanks for sharing.
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

----------------------------------
    HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

Blog Entries

Congrats on the improvements and challenges to yourself. These are more fun than which new instrument should I buy (those are fun too but actually getting better on your instrument is better than just getting better instruments!).

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

8. The following members say thank you to JEStanek for this post:

Thanks guys, if you want some more 'encouragement', here is my timeline.

It's the end of the third year for me. The first two years were less than 1 hour a day practice. And progress was frustratingly slow. And my bad playing made it drudgery at best.

This year was the breakthrough year I learned to control the tone from the instrument, and began to enjoy listening to myself play.

Also this year, at the advice of a guitar player friend, I focused on modifying my instrument for playability. He described his own career as a series of plateaus, each of which was the instrument holding him back. I had three huge breakthroughs there: Increased fret height, nut spacing for more space between courses, and setting the action more precisely to my playing style.

All that motivated me to practice a lot more, and things seem to be self-sustaining now, meaning I don't have to force myself to practice like I did.

Recently, I also began to treat practice sessions like high-school band, where I spent endless hours playing music that was 'beneath' me technically. Something about that is magical. When playing simpler stuff, I focus on consistency, careful fretting, good tone, and expressing music, rather than just picking notes as fast as I can.

Other recent breakthroughs include the ability to play without looking at my left hand (I can't play nearly as well though), which opened the door to sight-reading music, something I now regularly practice.
    Davey Stuart tenor guitar (based on his 18" mandola design).
    Eastman MD-604SB with Grover 309 tuners.
    Eastwood 4 string electric mandostang, 2x Airline e-mandola (4-string) one strung as an e-OM.
    DSP's: Helix HX Stomp, various Zooms.
    Amps: THR-10, Sony XB-20.

10. The following members say thank you to kurth83 for this post:

Blog Entries

I enjoy reading about your progress and hoping that your success will rub off on me just a bit. We do seem to be following similar paths.
    New to mando? Click this link -->Newbies to join us at the Newbies Social Group.

Just send an email to rob.meldrum@gmail.com with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and he will email you a copy of his ebook for free (free to all mandolincafe members).

My website and blog: honketyhank.com

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

Not every post is for every reader. The strength of a good forum is a wide variety of posters and readers. Keep up the good work on both your posting and playing. R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

Confused... or?
    Over the Hudson & thru the woods from NYC

If I've learned anything in 72 years of "stuff", it's that you never know what will be meaningful to someone else.

Just an example (from a radically different arena!): Way back, I taught a whitewater kayaking class for my local club, geared to intermediates and fine-tuning specific skills, which really means recognizing river flow features and the opportunities to use them. One guy seemed a bit too newbie and over his head (meaning I didn't screen him carefully enough beforehand, or not...) and probably missing much of what we discussed, but was clearly ambitious and enjoying it. A year or two later, I watched him perfectly place his boat into an impossibly small eddy in the middle of a major rapid, a very advanced move. When I yelled over "Whoa!" with a big thumbs-up, his response was, "Thanks, you taught me that!"

So yes, post away!
    - Ed

"Then one day we weren't as young as before
    Our mistakes weren't quite so easy to undo
    But by all those roads, my friend, we've travelled down
    I'm a better man for just the knowin' of you."
    - Ian Tyson

You might even consider posting videos. Both the video, itself, and everyone throwing in their two bits about your playing, will help you focus your practice.
    Object to this post? Find out how to ignore me here!

Please do post about your improvements, I think for many of us the motivation we get to practice more/harder is gained more from these types of posts and videos than from watching Chris Thile and the other masters.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kurth83 View Post
    If I think back over the years I remember when a steady 60 bpm became doable, then 70, then 80, now 90.

Congratulations! I know the feeling well