Thread: 1900s MANDOLIN Orchestra repertoire

Smile 1900s MANDOLIN Orchestra repertoire

With so many articles over the years on Gibson and other mandolins of the period in time when Mandolin Orchestras were very much a major part of American entertainment, there seems to be little mention of the repertoire of such orchestras.

Be interested to hear of such repertoires. e.g. Would some have been all instrumental or I imagine solo singers with the band accompanying

Any info of general interest.

Default Re: 1900s MANDOLIN Orchestra repertoire

If you use the Search function to find a 2006 thread entitled” U.S. mando orchestra repertoire” you will find exactly what you’re looking for. There are very long lists of specific songs, composers, and arrangers there. It seems that the selection of music varied somewhat regionally, but generally speaking the emphasis was on “light classics” (Mozart “Eine Kleine Nachtmusik”, Haydn “Water Music”, Vivaldi Violin concerti, and the like. Some also did arrangements of popular folk tunes (Stephen Foster, et.al.) and ragtime (Scott Joplin and others). But if you can find the above thread it will be a treasure trove on much more specific information for you.
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

4. The following members say thank you to Mandolin Cafe for this post:

Pittsburgh Bill
    Blog Entries

Several good mandolin orchestras through out the US. I happen to be partial to the Pittsburgh Mandolin Orchestra.
    Visit their websites and you will find a plethora of information including cd's available for purchase.
    A four (or more) section mandolin orchestra is an audible delight to a mandolin lover. My interest in mandolin orchestras has accelerated my already growing interest in classical music while expanding my appreciation to more than folk, rock N roll, country, show tunes, rockabilly, and jazz that defined my musical interests through out most of my lifetime.
    Big Muddy EM8 solid body (Mike Dulak's final EM8 build)
    Kentucky KM-950
    Weber Gallatin A Mandola "D hole"
    Rogue 100A (current campfire tool & emergency canoe paddle)

Thanks you for the replies. I was meaning mostly 1900-1930 and I followed the link and am now more aware of some of the pieces.

I'll now explore further just out of interest.