Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gilchrist Masterpiece!

Default Gilchrist Masterpiece!

I was down in Seattle yesterday with my friend who was buying a "Gypsy" style, DuPont guitar from Joe and Julie who run the amazing archtop.com

Besides having an amazing assortment of jazz guitars they also had hanging on the wall one of the most spectacular mandolins I have ever seen/played - a Gilchrist "F4.5"
    For those of you who are a bit confused this is Steve's updated, deluxe version of the legendary Loar-era truss-rodded F4s. What makes Steve's model an upgrade is a beautiful curly maple neck, a July 9th style WBW binding on the sides of the body and headstock and the most amazing one-piece back I've seen in a while. Add to that a gorgeous mahogany finish, exceptional tone, balance and playability and you've got perhaps the best round hole mandolin I've ever seen or played and I've seen, owned and played a lot of them. This is the same style build as Mike Compton's legendary Gilchrist F4.

I have zero financial interest in this mandolin, but I felt it deserved a shout-out because it is such a spectacular instrument. Not to mention the fact that the price has just been reduced! Ah, if only I had the funds... it would be gone! Check it out at archtop.com

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Glassweb For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Gilchrist Masterpiece!

Cool stuff though.. Theyve been around for years.. Looks like there inventory has shrunk abit though..

2011 Gilchrist F-4

That is a real beauty!

Their website is not optimized for phones. Homepage is practically unreadable. At least the individual instrument listings read ok. Vintage site for vintage instruments. Oh well.

More pics before it disappears (though they do keep an archive).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gilchristF-4.jpg 
Views:	239 
Size:	57.8 KB 
ID:	174135   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gilchristF-4_06.jpg 
Views:	188 
Size:	48.2 KB 
ID:	174140   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gilchristF-4_05.jpg 
Views:	187 
Size:	48.8 KB 
ID:	174139  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gilchristF-4_04.jpg 
Views:	205 
Size:	65.9 KB 
ID:	174138   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gilchristF-4_02.jpg 
Views:	169 
Size:	35.7 KB 
ID:	174136   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gilchristF-4_03.jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	56.9 KB 
ID:	174137  

Last edited by Jim Garber; Jan-20-2019 at 4:13pm.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

It is a beautiful instrument! Unfortunately, it is pretty pricey and I need a new roof on my house...…

6. The following members say thank you to LadysSolo for this post:

===========

I have conquered my MAS (or so I have told myself) - but looking at this is NOT helping me to be strong in my convictions . . . .

Its a GREAT mandolin!
    -----------
    Pete Martin
    www.PeteMartin.info
    Jazz and Bluegrass instruction books, videos, articles, transcriptions, improvisation, ergonomics, free recordings, private lessons

www.WoodAndStringsBand.com
    Jazz trio

www.AppleValleyWranglers.net
    Western Swing music

9. The following members say thank you to Pete Martin for this post:

hank 

Adrian Minarovic

Isn't that regular F-4 style? I thought F4.5 would have longer neck - 14th fret at crosspiece...
    Adrian

11. The following members say thank you to HoGo for this post:

Adrian - The link posted by Jim Garber does indeed say that the mandolin is a ''model 4''. I can't find anything such as an F4.5,even on Steve Gilchrist's website,simply the model 4 & model 4 jnr.,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Believe Compton himself refers to his legendary Gilchrist Mod 4 as a 4.5 - not necessarily because of the mandolin's appointments but because it has the sound characteristics of both a 4 (oval) and a 5 (ff hole) - greater focus than an oval and projection of 5 - hence 4.5. Glassweb indicates this one has the same build specs as Mike's, therefore 4.5
    Last edited by mtucker; Jan-21-2019 at 10:13am.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mtucker For This Useful Post:

AlanNGlasswebhank 

Although Steve's ovals are a genuine nod to the early-to-mid 20's Gibsons, it's accurate to say that he's gone a couple of steps beyond by taking the tubbiness out of them... they have a cleaner more focused fundamental/bottom and..they project outward very well, more like an F5. I don't know if I'd call it a legit 5 in projection but it's distinctly noticeable over its mid-twenties Gibby brethren. I remember our friend Will (Kimble) concluding that Steve's ovals take the early twenties Gibby's to a new level. I'd have to agree having owned both. Hope this provides some additional background.
    Last edited by mtucker; Jan-21-2019 at 2:12pm.

I seem to remember a story where Steve said Mike’s was “a 4 that wants to be a 5.” This one has been torturing me for awhile now....

I hope this is still there when Wintergrass rolls around. Not that I can afford it, but I would love to check it out and compare it to my Kimble oval.

Beautiful mandolin.
    ... not all those who wander are lost ...

Quote Originally Posted by mtucker View Post
    Believe Compton himself refers to his legendary Gilchrist Mod 4 as a 4.5 - not necessarily because of the mandolin's appointments but because it has the sound characteristics of both a 4 (oval) and a 5 (ff hole) - greater focus than an oval and projection of 5 - hence 4.5. Glassweb indicates this one has the same build specs as Mike's, therefore 4.5
    FYI the "F-4 and a half" designation was used by Jesse McReynolds referring to the F5 copy he used in the mid-'70s (Album cover of "Jim & Jesse Show Live in Japan"; 1976).

So - There actually is no model 4.5 - simply somebody's take on what they perceive the tone to be similar to. It's a bit like me calling my Stelling 'Bellflower' banjo a ''Bellflower - RB250'',simply because i've 'tuned' the head/bridge & string brand to give me more of a Gibson RB250 tone ?,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

I've played a couple of those Gilchrist "4.5s" and owned one. They ranged from "damn good" to "spectacular."

<inappropriate comment removed. not suitable for this forum and violates posting guidelines.>

(I'm sure it's a fantastic instrument... just, hot dang!)
    Last edited by Mandolin Cafe; Jan-18-2020 at 8:06pm. Reason: violates forum posting guidelines

It’s still there and still torturing me. I’ve almost flown to Seattle to play it. But I’d have to part with a Heiden and a Kimble to buy it so......

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sgarrity For This Useful Post:

Sean if you did call to Seattle you could check out the Monte oval they have as well:

https://www.archtop.com/ac_93monty_bg.html

Would be a rare treat to A/B the 2 of them against each other. Unfortunately I'm the other side of the world so doubt I'll ever have the opportunity.

I would rather have a Concert Girouard F4 at $6500. ! Use the extra $10,000. on something else !

Already have a Girouard, Gibson and Ellis oval hole, so sights are now set on Gilchrist, Heiden, Kimble and that Monty oval! We can dream....

27. The following members say thank you to seankeegan for this post:

You must have married the right woman ( with money ) ! I not so much !

Quote Originally Posted by yankees1 View Post
    You must have married the right woman ( with money ) ! I not so much !
    Unfortunately not, and have a wedding to save for, thus living vicariously through other people trying these beautiful, rare instruments and reporting here!

The (future) Mrs is from Cincinnati, so I've a real desire to try a Kimble oval, but from the various interviews and articles I've read I think he's all but stopped making these.

Quote Originally Posted by seankeegan View Post
    Unfortunately not, and have a wedding to save for, thus living vicariously through other people trying these beautiful, rare instruments and reporting here!

The (future) Mrs is from Cincinnati, so I've a real desire to try a Kimble oval, but from the various interviews and articles I've read I think he's all but stopped making these.
    Congratulations on your upcoming wedding !
    How do you like your Girouard oval ? I have an A Girouard oval and Max is now building me a F4 oval to be born this March ! I can't say enough of how great the workmanship and sound is of a Girouard !

The Girouard is great, and Max is a joy to work with. Between it and the Ellis I've definitely scratched my long-neck oval MAS. It's these modern, short neck mandolins (or that Monty) that cause MAS to flare up these days.

Quote Originally Posted by seankeegan View Post
    The Girouard is great, and Max is a joy to work with. Between it and the Ellis I've definitely scratched my long-neck oval MAS. It's these modern, short neck mandolins (or that Monty) that cause MAS to flare up these days.
    I had a short neck Old Wave once but I like the long neck better, especially the Girouard !