Thread: Dave Olney rests in peace

Default Dave Olney rests in peace

Default Re: Dave Olney rests in peace

He was the favorite songwriter of a lot of songwriters but not really well known otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric F. View Post
    He was the favorite songwriter of a lot of songwriters but not really well known otherwise.
    I suppose it depends on where you circulate. He had a history of playing in my neck of the woods, got airplay, and he was certainly well known amongst Americana followers.
    Russ Jordan

bass player gone mando

I have to admit I didn't know of him, but I had the Outlaw Country Sirius XM channel on in the car for my drive today, and they were saying what Eric F said above - favorite songwriter of a lot of songwriters. Including Townes Van Zandt, who's def a favorite songwriter for me. They played a Dave Olney song called "When the Deal Goes Down," or similar, and it was definitely good stuff. So RIP, and I will catch up with some of his tunes thru internet research.
    Collings MT O
    Collings MF5 0
    Weber Gallatin Mandola
    Weber Bitterroot Mandola
    Weber Sage Octave

He wrote some beautiful songs: if you like words or music his back catalog is a rewarding listen.

I read about his death in the NYT this morning. He was on stage with friends, said "I'm sorry," to the audience, and just put his head down and fell silent. Didn't even drop his guitar. Pretty remarkable way to go. I'd never heard of him before, although I'm a fan of a lot of people who were apparently influenced by him. Listening to him this morning.

What a way for a songwriter to go, in the middle of a song, on stage. My wife and I had the privilege of sitting about 5 feet away from David at the Bluebird Cafe a couple of years ago. It was songwriter's night and the circle consisted of David Olney, Abbie Gardner, Claire Lynch and Irene Kelley. I was already a fan of Claire's and that night she introduced us to three more wonderful performers. We met briefly and shook hands, he seemed very gentlemanly and everyone treated him with respect. I was not familiar with him until that evening, but enjoyed his songs very much. Thank you David for sharing your songs with us, sorry you have left us so soon. RIP.

8. The following members say thank you to Joe Mendel for this post:

We should all be so lucky as to enter the larger life doing the thing we love.
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Timbofood For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Mendel View Post
    What a way for a songwriter to go, in the middle of a song, on stage.
    Quote Originally Posted by Timbofood View Post
    We should all be so lucky as to enter the larger life doing the thing we love.
    I agree with both of you guys. If you have to check out, it would be nice to do it while you're doing what you do and what you enjoy.

On the other hand (and no disrespect intended), as a professional pilot, I'd guess that my passengers won't all agree with this philosophy.
    "I play BG so that's what I can talk intelligently about." A line I loved and pirated from Mandoplumb

12. The following members say thank you to FLATROCK HILL for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Eric F. View Post
    He certainly was in the Americana world.

When I was much younger, a customer of mine needed to do business earlier than usual because he was going to a friend’s wake. I said I was sorry to hear of it, but he said no, he was 84, hit a drive on the 17th fairway, and dropped dead. Only much later did I understand.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

I lost a dear friend last October who collapsed in a field while pheasant hunting. He was a profound hunter and outdoorsman. He fell and was unable to be revived from a massive heart attack. It is a peaceful way to go but hard on the family and friends.