Thread: Found this little beauty: Electric Mandobass

Default Found this little beauty: Electric Mandobass

Found this little beauty: Electric Mandobass

https://reverb.com/item/12427033-mor...tar-conversion

It's a custom refit of a bass guitar, and my wife looked at it and said: "Oh! I like that!"

"Oh, look. I just bought it! Guess it was a good thing I got it before someone else got the thing you liked!"

<she frowns, sighs> "I'm going to play it. Not you."

My response: "Oh... Huh..."

So, I'll have bass backup for my mandolin now? Still winning!

Default Re: Found this little beauty: Electric Mandobass

This is more like a super long scale octave mandolin. Mando bass is normally bass tuning and 42 inch scale with single strings tho there are variants. Hey, whatever works.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Heard him play it.

It has a voice like a horny angel. And as far as I could see, he was getting solid chords out of it on the included video. I figure it might have something to do with the double strings keeping the sound from getting muddy.

I have no idea, really. It just sounded exactly like what SHE liked.

Doug Pinnick and his 12-string ...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1a71ddafa45dc64346ebdb315f488c88.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	20.9 KB 
ID:	174155
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

So what would be the tuning of this beast?

Seller says GDAE two octaves below a mandolin on a 30” scale. String bass, mando bass and electric bass tuning is EADG low to high.

BTW I recall that Hagstrom made an 8-string solid body electric bass. I think the strings were all paired in octaves.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

GG DD AA EE two octaves down.

Main reason we wanted it was due to it being the same overall fingering as a mandolin.

While the kinetic memory will take some adjusting, it still offers a point of reference.

Mind you, if anything happens to it, we'll be crying later.

Quote Originally Posted by Foolish Frost View Post
    Mind you, if anything happens to it, we'll be crying later.
    What would happen to it?
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Dunno. Stolen? Catch on fire? Eaten by wolves? Abducted by aliens?

If I knew, it wouldn't be an "if". It's be a "when".

Actually, a solid-body "double octave" mandolin. Mando-basses are just different ways to build a bass fiddle -- same tuning, but with a mando-esque body and frets. I have seen a double-strung mando-bass, with a bass-fiddle-like body, on the website of Pamela's Music in the UK (it's not there now). I assume it was tuned EADG like a bass fiddle, but the listing didn't specify.

Fifths tuning on double string courses in the bass octave would be interesting, anyway.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

FWIW, I had one of that builders mandocello conversions and it was an absolute blast to play. It tuned well and the string spacing was comfy. I have some significant nerve damage to both arms and let her go due to pain but I miss that thing.

mandolin slinger Steve Ostrander's Avatar

There are lots of 4-string EADG 30" short scale basses available, some for less than half of that one. I'm not sure what the double courses will do, other than sound awful when one string goes out of tune. I know that some rock and jazz players play 6,8,10 or 12-string bass, like Tom Peterson of Cheap Trick. After playing mandolin, I don't want any more strings to tune, and EADG strings are available off the shelf and fairly cheap.

I've never had trouble going back and forth between mandolin and bass (EADG) but maybe that's because I played bass many years before taking up mandolin.

Not trying to rain on your parade. Hope you enjoy your.....horny angel.....whatever that means......
    Living’ in the Mitten

Horny angel is a Meatloaf ref.

And I’m not sure, but normally on a bass, low chords tend to get muddy. His demo didn’t do that. I’m wondering if the dual paired strings is the reason.

We’ll see.

Actually the gauges he uses are pretty close to mandocello so it can probably be tuned to that. In the video it sounded to me that the higher strings sounded pretty good but the lowest somewhat muddy. Do report back when you get it. Or do you have it now? I bet it sounds better in person where you can also adjust EQ. Could be a fun thing in any case.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Got it in.

So, Botany (my wife) is playing with it. She seems to love it.

overall, good construction, with the note that the low bass string pair are prone to beat each other into a buzzing fit if you hit them too hard. Or anything above a gentle stroke, really. It sounds pretty good with that gentle stroke, though.

We figure it can be fixed with a 20-40% increase in the distance between them to just give them breathing room. Might make it a touch harder to fret them as a pair, but eh. Not by much.

Overall, the setup was pretty good on it, and the bridge plate is a nice design for paired strings. Has one going through the guitar, and the other of the pair coming through the bridgeplate bottom. Kinda hybrid style.

Also getting her a capo for it so she can play it as an odd octave mando. Should be interesting.

I have to give the maker a thumbs up.

I wonder if in light of the buzzing, it would be better to have a single string for the lowest bass and then pairs for the others? I have a bisernica that has the lowest strings single and uppers paired. I always see the various Mortone instruments on Reverb and have been curious about them. Kudos to him for building a variety of experimental instruments that are fairly accessible to the masses.

Quote Originally Posted by Seter View Post
    I wonder if in light of the buzzing, it would be better to have a single string for the lowest bass and then pairs for the others? I have a bisernica that has the lowest strings single and uppers paired. I always see the various Mortone instruments on Reverb and have been curious about them. Kudos to him for building a variety of experimental instruments that are fairly accessible to the masses.
    I have heard of some mandocellists who have done similar with their instruments.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

We considered that too, and it's a viable option.

Guess it comes down to wanting to get the paired string sound, though. it just sounds slightly deeper than a single string.

Not to mention, I think she likes the look better. Got a new nut coming in.