Thread: Sam Bush vs Sierra Hull right hand

Default Sam Bush vs Sierra Hull right hand

Hi,

I was struck by the right hand range of motion differences in this video between these two players (starts around 1:50):
    https://youtu.be/_aQonnNSATk

Sam is really cranking back and forth. Sierra has really minimal (efficient?) movement by comparison.

Should one or the other be avoided or emulated? Something in between? Is this a generational thing that has changed over time?

Just wondering...

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mandokismet For This Useful Post:

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

Default Re: Sam Bush vs Sierra Hull right hand

Sam has an old hand/wrist injury and makes great music by unique technique and compensating. I'd emulate Sierra. (Although I love Sam's muting techniques.)
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Phil Goodson For This Useful Post:

In the early years of performance for Sam Bush, you were lucky to have a sound system that would get much out of a SM57, and just try to find a better performance mic than that in those days. If you wanted to be heard you had to hit the thing! Plug in? Sounded like a duck quacking with feedback.
    Sierra came along when small condenser and other "hot" mics were affordable and sound systems were capable of getting decent sound from them. Also, equipment for plugging in is much better. She mostly never had to play so hard to be heard, so her precise, dynamic and efficient technique translates to stage performance better than the old days.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sunburst For This Useful Post:

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

Love that clip, thanks for linking to it. So much great stuff on the tube we forget more of the good ones than we can remember.
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

----------------------------------
    HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

Blog Entries

That was instructive as well as entertaining.
    New to mando? Click this link -->Newbies to join us at the Newbies Social Group.

Just send an email to rob.meldrum@gmail.com with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and he will email you a copy of his ebook for free (free to all mandolincafe members).

My website and blog: honketyhank.com

my daughter calls this clip a masters class on improvisation over a known melody
    2012 Weber Bitterroot F5.

10. The following members say thank you to Kevin Stueve for this post:

More than once when watching Sierra jam with other musicians, I've been surprised at how much quieter her playing was than that of the other musicians. Another mandolinist would solo nice and clear, but then I'd have to struggle to hear Sierra on her turn. This hasn't been a regular issue, but enough times that it caught my attention.
    Doug Brock
    2018 Kimble 2 point (#259), Eastman MD315, Eastman MDA315, some guitars, banjos, and fiddles

Oval holes are cool David Lewis's Avatar

Sam broke his arm twice, limiting his wrist mobility. One of the incredible things about sams technique is how precise he is despite playing like a guitar player.
    JBovier ELS; Epiphone MM-50 VN; Epiphone MM-40L; Gretsch New Yorker G9310; Washburn M1SDLB;

Fender Nashville Deluxe Telecaster; Squier Modified Vintage Cabronita Telecaster; Gretsch 5420T; Fender Tim Armstrong Hellcat: Washburn Banjo B9; Ibanez RB 5string; Ibanez RB 4 string bass

Pedalboard for ELS: Morley Cry baby Miniwah - Tuner - EHX Soul Food Overdrive - EHX Memory Toy analog Delay
    Fender Blues Jr Tweed; Fender Greta;

Sam Bush's right hand 'technique' has been commented on many times,& does seems 'odd' until you understand about his wrist injury. I'm still amazed that anybody can play with such an exaggerated arm action - but ''needs must' & SB got it done !!,
    Ivan
    PS - I see that the new Sam Bush 'Revival' documentary DVD is still 'pre-order' status ?.
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Stop the chop!
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by David Lewis View Post
    Sam broke his arm twice, limiting his wrist mobility. One of the incredible things about sams technique is how precise he is despite playing like a guitar player.

There are old videos of Sam Bush playing with the Bluegrass Alliance where his technique is absoutely normal. Luckily he already was an accomplished player when he had his accident. On mandozine.com you can find Stangeland's survey of right hand styles. Some 17 examples are given, but they fall into two main groups: brushing across a pickguard or having the right hand touch the strings lightly behind the bridge. The latter technique, of course, is not available on a flattop guitar without tailpiece.

As I use a pickguard on my own mandolins there is very little difference between my techniques on guitar and mandolin. The reason for a pickguard on an archtop guitar or carved top mandolin is that the distance between the strings and the top is much greater on these instruments than on a flattop guitar.

I see nothing even faintly resembling guitar technique in Bush's playing.

For good examples of right hand technique on mandolin (without pickguard) refer to videos of David Long and Andy Leftwich on YouTube.

Quote Originally Posted by ralph johansson View Post

Same here.

16. The following members say thank you to AlanN for this post:

not speaking for David Lewis but I wonder if he is referring to the fact that Sam always has his mando slung low like an rock guitar player vs up high on his chest like Bill Monroe. ????
    2012 Weber Bitterroot F5.

18. The following members say thank you to Kevin Stueve for this post:

Bill came along in the days of 'one mic'. If he wanted his mandolin to be heard he had to "whip it like a mule" high up, close to the mic. Sam at least got to play into a 57 (or some such) on a separate mic stand so he got to sling his mando low like a rock star and "whip it like a mule" into it's own mic.

20. The following members say thank you to sunburst for this post:

Oval holes are cool David Lewis's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ralph johansson View Post
    There are old videos of Sam Bush playing with the Bluegrass Alliance where his technique is absoutely normal. Luckily he already was an accomplished player when he had his accident. On mandozine.com you can find Stangeland's survey of right hand styles. Some 17 examples are given, but they fall into two main groups: brushing across a pickguard or having the right hand touch the strings lightly behind the bridge. The latter technique, of course, is not available on a flattop guitar without tailpiece.

As I use a pickguard on my own mandolins there is very little difference between my techniques on guitar and mandolin. The reason for a pickguard on an archtop guitar or carved top mandolin is that the distance between the strings and the top is much greater on these instruments than on a flattop guitar.

For good examples of right hand technique on mandolin (without pickguard) refer to videos of David Long and Andy Leftwich on YouTube.
    The musical style no. The physical style where he strums from the elbow, not the wrist: that’s what I mean.
    JBovier ELS; Epiphone MM-50 VN; Epiphone MM-40L; Gretsch New Yorker G9310; Washburn M1SDLB;

Fender Nashville Deluxe Telecaster; Squier Modified Vintage Cabronita Telecaster; Gretsch 5420T; Fender Tim Armstrong Hellcat: Washburn Banjo B9; Ibanez RB 5string; Ibanez RB 4 string bass

Pedalboard for ELS: Morley Cry baby Miniwah - Tuner - EHX Soul Food Overdrive - EHX Memory Toy analog Delay
    Fender Blues Jr Tweed; Fender Greta;

Thanks for everyone's responses. Interesting stuff.

23. The following members say thank you to mandokismet for this post:

They both looked like they were having a great time, and I just hope to someday get my left hand to know where to go as well as they both do. My left hand fingers would end up looking like a pretzel if I tried to go that fast!