Thread: Saga kit neck angle

Default Saga kit neck angle

Hi mando gurus. Got a saga am-10 kit for Christmas and have it nearly ready for finishing. I have a nagging feeling though. When I lay a straight edge on the fretboard and put the bridge at 13 7/8” (which I’m told is the mando scale length - no instructions) the straight edge hits in the middle of the bridge, maybe 7-10mm lower than the top of the bridge which is at its lowest. I worry adding string tension will only make this worse.

Wondering if I should:
    A) make a new bridge or modify the bridge so it’s lower.
    B) remove the back, remove the neck and adjust the joint to add more neck angle? (tears)

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Z4oXz2QQMxdJis738

What is your sage advice?

Default Re: Saga kit neck angle

I don't know how sage this advice will be, but your string height will raise your straight edge a sixteenth, making it closer to where you want to be. The bridge can easily be made lower. I would first lower the foot, not the saddle. Looks good. I wouldn't do a lot until you string it up.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Agreed that you are not looking bad here... Once you take some wood off the foot and fit it to the top you will be real close to the correct height. You may not have much adjustment range, but that is fine.
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

The real question is what string clearance you have at the 12th fret (action) for the bridge as it is. Fit and adjust your bridge to obtain the action you desire.
    -Newtonamic

You’ve given me hope! Thank you.