Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dang Thing Busted

Default Re: Dang Thing Busted

Morris flattop just popped up in the classifieds...great for everything but bluegrass chopping, and a great value. NFI...
    Chuck

2. The following members say thank you to CES for this post:

Thanks Marty!!! That was great!! I needed the laugh

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL

4. The following members say thank you to lenf12 for this post:

Great video Marty. Unfortunately John Clarke passed away last year. A great comedian whom we Australians claimed although he was born in New Zealand. Sadly missed.

6. The following members say thank you to David Kennedy for this post:

Nothing to add but a double ouch.

I agree with the group to go ahead and get that nicer mandolin you've been wanting ..
    I would also attempt to repair the broken one at home .. If you have a couple wood working clamps or a vice .. come up with a method to clamp the two pieces as tight as possible. then when you are satisfied with your clamping arrangement. Go to your hardware store and buy a small bottle of Titebond Original formula wood glue . remove the halves from the clamp and apply a good cover of the glue to both halves and reinstall the clamps .. use a damp rag or sponge to wipe up any excess glue that squeezes out the cracks .. and leave it be for 48 hours .... if it fails to hold try again but pre-drill pilot holes and add a few long sheet rock screws.. at the best possible angle from the back side of the neck for the most strength ....
    My reason for trying is, if it is playable afterward you'll have a beater mandolin that you will not have to treat like a newborn child .. so it can go anywhere you go .. and drastically increase your playing/practice time .... If it turns out to be Junk. then you will be out $15-$20.00 of material ... and maybe have some new wall art. (Normally the only screws in a mandolin hold the tuners, and tail piece on,and i would not add the drywall screws unless its the only inexpensive way to repair it .. if it comes to that you can file or dremel any part of the screw head that is raised above the mandolins neck surface and use wood putty or saw dust mixed with some wood glue to fill any voids left by the screws.)
    I am not a Professional luthier but Am a DIY typre of person and have always done my own setups, upgrades and repairs on many guitars since i was 16 and have recently become addicted to the mandolin 2 Years ago at 37 and currently own 3 great playing inexpensive models . my Epiphone EF5EVNH1 i purchased for $150.00 because is was a return that the neck was broken at the 12th fret and this is how i managed to repair the neck .. it plays and sounds great now..and gets abused regularly .. and i developed some nice skills along the way .. " one day I hope to carve and build a Gibson F5 replica .. i have the full scale plans ) I have a The Loar honey creek F-310 $299.00 model that has a nice tone and is real wood (walnut instead of flamed maple) after i fine tuned the setup on it & I love the tone of it ,and have it playing well also.( I do dislike the Synthetic Nut it has ) I do recommend try before you buy.. it is the cheapest Fstyle The Loar They are made by the same Asian company that makes Kentucky mandolins .. In China they mass produce so anything coming from there could be a Lemon.. but some China luthiers do a great Job . and the setup makes a huge difference.