Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "New" Gibson Company: No More Mandolins?

Default Re: "New" Gibson Company: No More Mandolins?

Quote Originally Posted by slimt View Post
    ...back in 89 up til 1999 . I averaged buying 1 Guitar a week.. it was either Gibson or Martin Acoustic. 4 True Custom shop Gibson Acoustic a year on top of those.. in the Mid 90s. what I see offered now for what they're asking..
    Let me get this straight -- you averaged buying 52 guitars per year for ten years??? Either Gibsons or Martins??

So, over 500 guitars. I assume you either very have a large music room, or you did a bunch of trading, which usually ends up as a money-losing proposition.

If you still have hundreds of guitars, I'd graciously accept the loan of those you seldom play (like once every 18 months or so). Always glad to have a new axe or two to experiment with...

As to what Bernie D says, consensus seems to be that the Montana shop that builds Gibson acoustic guitars is first-rate. I've heard some new Gibsons that sounded great, though as a "Martin guy" I stick pretty much to that brand.

If I can make an uninformed prognostication: Gibson will continue to build a limited number of mandolins, concentrating on their higher-end models that bring a greater return. It's not as feasible to outsource mandolin components, as they did with banjos and Dobros before they stopped making those entirely. What I doubt they will do, is sell or license out the Gibson brand. As long as kids buy Les Pauls, there's a reason to have a Gibson guitar company. Will G continue to hire a train shop personnel to build the F-5's of the future? More problematical, and probably entirely dependent on the new ownership.

Nobody made National resonator instruments for quite a while, until entrepreneurial craftspeople resurrected the brand and the technology. Now they seem to be doing quite well. There's gonna be some demand for good acoustic instruments for the foreseeable future, and firms that can position themselves well in the market can be economically viable.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Quote Originally Posted by allenhopkins View Post
    Let me get this straight -- you averaged buying 52 guitars per year for ten years??? Either Gibsons or Martins??

So, over 500 guitars. I assume you either very have a large music room, or you did a bunch of trading, which usually ends up as a money-losing proposition.

If you still have hundreds of guitars, I'd graciously accept the loan of those you seldom play (like once every 18 months or so). Always glad to have a new axe or two to experiment with...

As to what Bernie D says, consensus seems to be that the Montana shop that builds Gibson acoustic guitars is first-rate. I've heard some new Gibsons that sounded great, though as a "Martin guy" I stick pretty much to that brand.

If I can make an uninformed prognostication: Gibson will continue to build a limited number of mandolins, concentrating on their higher-end models that bring a greater return. It's not as feasible to outsource mandolin components, as they did with banjos and Dobros before they stopped making those entirely. What I doubt they will do, is sell or license out the Gibson brand. As long as kids buy Les Pauls, there's a reason to have a Gibson guitar company. Will G continue to hire a train shop personnel to build the F-5's of the future? More problematical, and probably entirely dependent on the new ownership.

Nobody made National resonator instruments for quite a while, until entrepreneurial craftspeople resurrected the brand and the technology. Now they seem to be doing quite well. There's gonna be some demand for good acoustic instruments for the foreseeable future, and firms that can position themselves well in the market can be economically viable.
    Actually I owned 1000 plus up till 2005 I did alot of trading. Alot with Greg Boyd and we both did very well. Alot of my acoustics went over to Japan and Germany as well. I did average 52 plus guitars a year whether from long and mc quade up here or through Daves in Lacrosse and Gregs. I have my share still. Not as many as it was though. I was also able to hand pick my guitars from Bozeman

3. The following members say thank you to slimt for this post:

If they were too expensive then they wouldn't sell. As long anything keeps selling, companies will continue to make as long as production economies work. They just won't make as many as cheaper brands. Same applies to cars, clothes etc. Having said that I do think that you can buy a really great F5 mandolin such as Northfield very much cheaper than Gibson but of course it won't have that magic name on the headstock and if that's what turns you on, then you'll buy the Gibson. I've had 27 Gibsons over the last 50 years and always love the old oval hole F4s etc. I have a Northfield Big Mon F5 and love it. A Gibson F5 would be out of my price range and I just love the feeling of owning a very old Gibson. Having said that I believe David Harvey is tops in every way.

Registered User Charlie Bernstein's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cigman1st View Post
    I noticed mandolins weren't listed yesterday so I called Gibson customer service. The rep I spoke with said they certainly were still producing mandolins and checked the webpage himself. When he confirmed they weren't listed he said he would notify IT about it along with several other issues they seem to have dropped the ball on. He was very frustrated.
    I notice that no one has noticed your post.

Come on, gang! Cigman called the company! What more do you need?

PS - The idea that websites are complete when they go live is science fiction.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Charlie Bernstein For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

I get it though, we are dedicated mandolin enthusiasts and we care about the future of one of the main producers of mandolins. As someone who plays two other instruments that were discontinued in the past decade, I'm sympathetic.

But the phone call to someone live in the company is the clincher... They know as much as anyone who isn't making decisions could possibly know.
    -- Don

"Music: A minor auditory irritation occasionally characterized as pleasant."
    "It is a lot more fun to make music than it is to argue about it."

2002 Gibson F-9
    2016 MK LFSTB
    1975 Suzuki taterbug (plus many other noisemakers)
    [About how I tune my mandolins]
    [Our recent arrival]

Chances are the archtops and mandolins were just missed . I ve seen it before. Montana missed there whole catalog back in the 90s. But the guitars were in full swing.

A Collings MF is around $500 cheaper than a Gibson F9. Both are really good sounding mandolins. So that is the price you are going to have to pay for the Gibson tone.

You can buy a plain mandolin from a single man shop for half that. Haven't played one, so can't comment on tone. There are huge overhead costs with a larger company. And it really boils down to if we quit buying them, they will quit making them. I don't see prices going down.

The best business model is to have a customer think something is too expensive, but still buy it.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

10. The following members say thank you to Br1ck for this post:

After a couple of decades of grotesque incompetence and mismanagement I wouldn't be surprised at all if they did stop the Mandolin line. Hell nothing would surprise me from Gibson. Any company that charges premium prices for anything with their brand on it but still cannot keep afloat, SHOULD crash and burn and go the way of the Dodo.

Bottom line, Gibson as a company is pathetic. That may sound harsh, but it's my opinion.

Mandolin Production Head dhmando's Avatar

Hello fellow mandolin enthusiast,

Please rest assured that we are still producing Gibson mandolins on a daily basis and are very excited about what the future holds for Gibson with the new management team in place!

Please check out the very cool new Gibson mandolins at the Winter NAMM show this week!

Thanks and keep picking,
    David Harvey
    Gibson Master Luthier
    Gibson Original Acoustic Instruments/
    Gibson Custom Shop
    Nashville TN

13. The Following 23 Users Say Thank You to dhmando For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

And there you have it.
    Mitch Russell

15. The following members say thank you to onassis for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by dhmando View Post
    Please rest assured that we are still producing Gibson mandolins on a daily basis and are very excited about what the future holds for Gibson with the new management team in place!
    David Harvey
    Good to know.
    Just one guy's opinion
    www.guitarfish.net

All the speculation makes me glad I snagged the 2017 F5L that was in the classifieds a couple days ago

Quote Originally Posted by ABrown View Post
    All the speculation makes me glad I snagged the 2017 F5L that was in the classifieds a couple days ago
    Yep, my thoughts exactly........makes the used stuff an even better deal! And, there is already plenty out there for 10 lifetimes, IMHO......

Violates forum posting guidelines:

- Topics started for or end up being used to discuss religion, politics or sex as well as other hot button issues meant to create discord are prohibited. Posts or threads deemed inappropriate or unrelated to our subject matter are subject to immediate removal at the discretion of the forum owner and/or lead moderator.

And with that this discussion has run its course and beyond.
    Last edited by Mandolin Cafe; Jan-23-2019 at 12:22pm.

20. The following members say thank you to Eric "Trapper" G for this post: