Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gibson F5 Kalamazoo, MI

Default Gibson F5 Kalamazoo, MI

I ran into a Gibson F5 in excellent condition made in Kalamazoo , MI . No photo but how desirable would this be ? "Range" of prices for such an instrument ?

Default Re: Gibson F5 Kalamazoo, MI

Well, depending on when it was made, how it sounds and, how much you want it. Anywhere from not much to a whole bunch!
    Not being flippant but, that’s not a lot of information to base any rational estimate on.
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

Yankees, price would depend on year of manufacture, condition, & following those ...general desirability. Lloyd Loar F5s were made in Kalamazoo......so were the overbuilt mandolins of the 50's & '60s......

Quote Originally Posted by doc holiday View Post
    Yankees, price would depend on year of manufacture, condition, & following those ...general desirability. Lloyd Loar F5s were made in Kalamazoo......so were the overbuilt mandolins of the 50's & '60s......
    Trying to get year/serial number and will post when I succeed ! Excellent condition however !

Quote Originally Posted by yankees1 View Post
    I ran into a Gibson F5 in excellent condition made in Kalamazoo , MI . No photo but how desirable would this be ? "Range" of prices for such an instrument ?
    If it didn’t dent your car when you ran into it, it might not from the “dark days” of Kalamazoo mandolin production from Parsons street. Share when you have more information and I’ll go stand in my corner now until I have something constructive to say.
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

Blog Entries

Nice but if Yankees1 has seen it/knows its excellent condition, he should know right now what it is with as many posts as he's had since 2009? Ok I'll sit back in the corner as well and change strings.

Serial number A-14635

Blog Entries

May be a GOODUN, 1952-53 I think and if so only 18 F-5's in 1952 and 22 in 1953. Does I have the Mahogany neck?

Quote Originally Posted by William Smith View Post
    May be a GOODUN, 1952-53 I think and if so only 18 F-5's in 1952 and 22 in 1953. Does I have the Mahogany neck?
    ......not likely to be in the same ballpark as the greats.....

not sure if mahogany ! Ex condition ! Any idea of value ?

Blog Entries

I'd guess if nice, 3500-4500 as sales are way down on all stuff mandolin, vintage anyway, I got my 24 Loar F-5 a few months back at a really good deal compared to what is shown for them at the different dealers. As said above it may not be a Loar or Fern but, The 50's can be GREAT mandolins re-worked, "full internal re graduation and Loar placement of the tone bars" that costs a bit from Randy Wood, He has my 58 F-5 and that is getting the works, I got it at a steal because it needed a neck. I think I gave 1200-1400 for it?
    On Reverb there is a real clean 51 F-5 for 5790, but been there awhile now with one offer?

Any idea on cost to update it by randy wood ?

Blog Entries

Maybe a little over 2G, not sure if prices have gone up with Randy, but worthwhile if you can get it on the cheap

Thank you ! Owner wants 3000. It is in excellent condition plus but I don’t think I would want to put another 2000. In it !

[QUOTE=William Smith;1696521]I'd guess if nice, 3500-4500 as sales are way down on all stuff mandolin, vintage anyway, I got my 24 Loar F-5 a few months back at a really good deal compared to what is shown for them at the different dealers. As said above it may not be a Loar or Fern but, The 50's can be GREAT mandolins re-worked, "full internal re graduation and Loar placement of the tone bars" that costs a bit from Randy Wood, He has my 58 F-5 and that is getting the works, I got it at a steal because it needed a neck. I think I gave 1200-1400 for it?
    On Reverb there is a real clean 51 F-5 for 5790, but been there awhile now with one offer?[/QUOTE. ]. How would I determine if this mandolin actually needs tone bar replacement and re-graduation ?

I have attempted to locate this serial number for a Gibson with no luck ! Does this number relate to any date? Serial A-14635. Only numbers I can read on the label.

Blog Entries

1952 starts with # A 12462 a nd 53 # A 16101, I went by Gruhn guide to vintage guitars. All them will need a re grad for the best sound you can get out of them as they were built heavy.

1952 starts with # A 12462 a nd 53 # A 16101, I went by Gruhn guide to vintage guitars. All them will need a re grad for the best sound you can get out of them as they were built heavy.
    Thank you for quick response !!

Blog Entries

I'm serious if you can get a deal on it, its worth it to do a re grad, even though it has a sitka top its still old wood, I'm a believer in old wood, Randy would pop the back off and do it as to save the original finish. The lacquer is also a bit heavy so you could scrape it down? I may do that to mine when I get it back depending on sound? Like I said only if you can get it on the cheap? Randy may have jacked up his prices I don't know he's had my 58 F-5 for 2 years now? With hardware I should have close to 4500 in mine and I don't think that's bad for a neat old mandolin that more than likely will sound Great, I've had Randy do a few F-7's for me and they turned out awesome.

I'm serious if you can get a deal on it, its worth it to do a re grad, even though it has a sitka top its still old wood, I'm a believer in old wood, Randy would pop the back off and do it as to save the original finish. The lacquer is also a bit heavy so you could scrape it down? I may do that to mine when I get it back depending on sound? Like I said only if you can get it on the cheap? Randy may have jacked up his prices I don't know he's had my 58 F-5 for 2 years now? With hardware I should have close to 4500 in mine and I don't think that's bad for a neat old mandolin that more than likely will sound Great, I've had Randy do a few F-7's for me and they turned out awesome.
    Since this mandolin was her late father's who played on it in a mandolin orchestra , she is not going to take a low ball offer . I feel that the least amount she will take is $3000. and that is too much to put at least another two thousand plus in ! I have Ellis and Girouard mandolins now so I don't need it but would like to own it ! Want is different than need ! Thanks for your feedback !

Blog Entries

Oh I get ya, I'd pay 3G for a great condition early 50's F-5 and maybe put the $ in it to make it better but regardless on what anyone says it still may sound pretty good left alone with just a set up? One never knows, I've played pre war F-5's that were dogs-really not that good IMHO. Granted they were 1937, 1938, I for some reason like the 39's I've played go figure right? Even the 1939 F-7's for some reason to me sound better than earlier 7's, why I don't know, But I've played and have had tons of 7's. I also would rather have old stuff than new stuff as to me I like it better. Just my opinions.

On Reverb there is a real clean 51 F-5 for 5790, but been there awhile now with one offer?
    That seems to be book value, for what that is worth—I know, not much.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

I feel that the least amount she will take is $3000.
    Is it possible to play it before you purchase? You might like it just fine.....

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Mando View Post
    Is it possible to play it before you purchase? You might like it just fine.....
    Yes and I may restring it and see how it plays/sounds.

Yes and I may restring it and see how it plays/sounds.
    I'm picking it up tonight to restring it , polish it and see what a voice it has !

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to yankees1 For This Useful Post: