Thread: NMD 1941 Strad-O-Lin

Default NMD 1941 Strad-O-Lin

Thanks to having a bit of money in my PayPal account, was able to convince the wife that I could splurge on a Strad-O-Lin. Found this one on Reverb. Very good transaction. Arrived today in a cool tweed case. It's got the inlaid purfling on the top. Back is laminate. (Probably the sides as well.)

What's cool (at least to me) is the back is stamped Oct 13 (or 18) 1941. (Probably 13 as the 18th was a Saturday) Took a number of tries with different flashlights to pick out the date.

As it's brand new to me, hard to evaluate the sound. Not as bassy as my 1929 A Jr. Nor would I expect it to be. With new medium strings, it's loud. Not going to have a ton of time to practice tonight, but am taking it to a jam tomorrow night and to at least 1 gig on Saturday.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Stradolin resized 1.jpg 
Views:	242 
Size:	348.6 KB 
ID:	174077 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Stradolin resized 2.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	347.5 KB 
ID:	174078
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Big Muddy M-11, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eric Platt For This Useful Post:

Worlds ok-ist mando playr Zach Wilson's Avatar

Default Re: NMD 1941 Strad-O-Lin

Right on! Congrats and happy picking

4. The following members say thank you to Zach Wilson for this post:

===========

A classic beauty . . . congratulations!

6. The following members say thank you to MikeZito for this post:

Amazing how these instruments have gone from "decent cheapos" to being in demand. I've had a Strad-O-Lin as my "take it anywhere" mandolin for the past 30 years or so, going from one I paid $25 for, to one I paid about $225 for, very similar to yours, but with replaced tuners. I've gigged with it, recorded with it, and played countless jams and sing-arounds, and I keep thinking, "Couldn't some company make an instrument like that today, price it something like the Kentucky KM-150, and make money doing it?"

Maybe the KM-150 is the "Strad-O-Lin of today"; don't know.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to allenhopkins For This Useful Post:

Registered User grassrootphilosopher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by allenhopkins View Post
    Amazing how these instruments have gone from "decent cheapos" to being in demand. I've had a Strad-O-Lin as my "take it anywhere" mandolin for the past 30 years or so, going from one I paid $25 for, to one I paid about $225 for, very similar to yours, but with replaced tuners. ...I keep thinking, "Couldn't some company make an instrument like that today, price it something like the Kentucky KM-150, and make money doing it?"

Maybe the KM-150 is the "Strad-O-Lin of today"; don't know.
    Well, you are one of the connoisseurs. I have never encountered a person that - after playing my trusty, wonderful Strad-O-Lin - did not immediately recognize its extremely wonderful musical soul. Many people that own vintage instruments (some of them have highly valued ones) do recognize the merrits of Strad-O-Lin mandolins. I think that generaly Strad-O-Linīs "mystic past" does keep people from seeking these wonderful instruments in favor of - to my mind in comparison - much lesser instruments such as "Loars" and Eastmans.

As to the luthiers... I donīt think that a Strad-O-Lin marketing would catch due to the relatively opinionated mandolin market. If one could hype the Strad-O-Lins as a mythical fairy dust thing I would believe they would receive their deserved attention even from the builders.

I do though wonder about the sonic differences between the instruments with "round" F-holes as opposed to the ones with the "comma" F-holes. Whatīs the opinion?
    Olaf

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to grassrootphilosopher For This Useful Post:

A bit of an update. Easy to say it's a keeper. Played 2 shows on Saturday. First show was an indoor farmer's market. Arrived early and they wanted music right away. So started picking the mandolin. Seemed to project well. Folks heard it and noticed. After the fiddler arrived, started switching between guitar and mando. She liked the sound.

Had a friend show up and he played the Strad-O-Lin while I stayed on guitar. Gave me a good chance to hear it. Definitely not as bass heavy as my oval hole Gibsons. Seems to project better. A big sound.

And a photo of me playing it for posterity -

Name:	Eric with stradolin.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	63.1 KB 
ID:	174165

Then later had a second gig. This with a full band playing for a lutefisk dinner. (Yes, some of us eat it.) Once again, it went over very well. Folks could hear it. And even my mentor, who is very picky on mandolins, liked it.

A couple of other things to note. Compared to my Gibsons the body is deeper, and there is a higher arch on both the front and the back. Wonder how much that contributes to the sound? The depth and arch are much more pronounced than my 1950's Californian, which is a similar genre instrument.

Overall, am extremely happy.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Big Muddy M-11, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eric Platt For This Useful Post:

JRGmugbucket 

Nice catch!

Pun intended.
    Despite the high cost of living, it still remains popular...

14. The following members say thank you to mugbucket for this post:

Blog Entries

Stradolins are awesome mandolins, great bang for the buck! Good score!

16. The following members say thank you to William Smith for this post:

Can you take a pic of the side view of the neck extension? I think I've got one very much the same, it is a 1938. I'd have to see the extension neck shot though. You can see mine on the Stradolin player page on this site.

Quote Originally Posted by mandopaul View Post
    Can you take a pic of the side view of the neck extension? I think I've got one very much the same, it is a 1938. I'd have to see the extension neck shot though. You can see mine on the Stradolin player page on this site.
    Looks to be like the one you have.

Name:	Stradolin side.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	105.6 KB 
ID:	174225

Thanks for the photo. The neck extension and the angle of the F holes (the way they tilt towards the neck) and a rounded headstock seems a bit different than other Strads i've seen. Whoever built these - yours is the first I have noticed that has the same characteristics as mine, probably from the same builder and 2 1/2 yrs. apart. (I think that Favilla in NYC made these particular models, but i'm only guessing)

That's a nice instrument -- i used mine as a gigging instrument for years and it kept up with everything that was thrown at it.
    --------------------------------
    1920 Lyon & Healy bowlback
    1923 Gibson A-1 snakehead
    1952 Strad-o-lin
    1983 Giannini ABSM1 bandolim
    2009 Giannini GBSM3 bandolim
    2011 Eastman MD305