Thread: Ghs Nickel vs Nickel Bronze vs Phospher

Default Ghs Nickel vs Nickel Bronze vs Phospher

I am looking for a new string. I was actually looking for a 10.5 gauge and came across the ghs nickel strings. I bought nb for my acoustic but haven’t used them yet so I really don’t have a comparison in either world. I currently use diadario pb strings. I wouldn’t mind more this and umph. My mandolin isn’t really bright on its own either. I have a Kentucky 1050.

Any input on these strings and sound? Also is the tension less on nickel or nb?

Default Re: Ghs Nickel vs Nickel Bronze vs Phospher

I have used the GHS pure nickel for some time now and have used both gauges. I like them a lot. I like what they do to my G string the best, and the fact that two months down the road they still sound good and not dead like phosphor bronze. I can't say they play easier, my mandolins are set up with a very low action and play easy with most any gauge string.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

i only used d'addario pb for years. once i tried the monels I was hooked. Have daddario monel strings on three mandos now. Love em. Even on a snakehead oval-hole.

I tried monels recently and just couldn’t get used to the difference. The set I tried was a Sam Bush set with fairly light gauges. What is it about the Daddario monels you like? What gauges are they? Maybe I need to try heavier monels.

I haven't tried the Monels, but I like the fact GHS gives you a .016 A string in both sets instead of .015. GHS discussed making a Monel, but decided that the early strings were nickel and went that way instead. I am glad they did as these are on several of my mandolins, including a '22 A2.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Blog Entries

Although a .0105 string is not availabe in single or bulk, Just Strings does offer a D’Addario .0115. In even thousandths, you buy your favorite plain string, like a .016 for the A, for about $.030 each, in packs of a dozen. (Quality is tops, btw.)

I buy bulk now, in ball end, and a good selection of standard types exists for loop end. In “single” strings, some types come in packs of 5, like nickel-wound loop-end for about $10 ($2) ea. It is well worth trying singles to find the best gauges for your playing and your instrument. I am forced into this, as no one sells 10-string sets, but it costs little to find the best set. After that, stock up.
    Bandcamp -- https://tomwright1.bandcamp.com/
    Videos--YouTube
    Sound Clips--SoundCloud
    The viola is proof that man is not rational