Thread: Electric Octave Mandolin Neck

Default Electric Octave Mandolin Neck

Hello everyone,
    I'm interested in building an electric octave mandolin from existing guitar parts. The one issue I'm having, however, is finding a neck that would be suitable, with around a 20" scale and appropriate width. Any ideas? Suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Gabe

Default Re: Electric Octave Mandolin Neck

A mini Squier strat is 22.75" scale. There are other models/brands as well, close enough for your desired scale. Swap out the bridge with an electric mandolin bridge:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Silver-8-St...BUfz:rk:1:pf:0

You could change out the single coil pickups to blade style. The headstock gets trickier, you could plug the existing tuner holes, cut the sides in order to glue wings on, then cut to snakehead shape, glue a thin overlay material, trim to shape, drill for mandolin tuning gears and add string trees due to shallow angle.

Pictured is one I did in the method described.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Octave 1c.jpg 
Views:	196 
Size:	340.4 KB 
ID:	174081  
    Old Hometown, Cabin Fever String Band

Thank you very much for the very informative reply! What did you do with the nut? Completely replace it or modify it somehow?

Gabe, You're welcome! I made a new nut. The spacing is kind of dictated by the bridge which means your G and E courses are set in a bit from the edge of the fingerboard. That's not a problem for playing just plan it out before you start slotting the nut. I had a spare bone blank that I used.
    Old Hometown, Cabin Fever String Band

fishing with my mando darrylicshon's Avatar

I have a mini epiphone flying v that is 20" scale. I have read an article about making the neck thinner , but I haven't tried that yet they used a belt sander. I also have a octave strat that I bought it has a really wide neck and the string slots are in pretty far from the edge, it works fine just doesn't feel as nice as my other octaves. I thinking about thinning the neck, if I had the right tools I would have already done it.
    Ibanez 70's 524, 521, 3 511's,2 512's,513,1 514,3 80s 513's, 522
    J Bovier F5-T custom shop
    Kiso Suzuki V900,
    The Loar lm600 Cherryburst
    morgan monroe mms-5wc,ovation
    Michael Kelly Octave Mandolin
    Emandos Northfield octave tele 4, Northfield custom jem octave mandolin 5 octave strat 8
    2 Flying v 8, octave 5, Exploryer octave 8 20"
    Fender mandostrat 4,3 Epip mandobird 2,4/8, Kentucky. KM300E Eastwood mandocaster
    Gold Tone F6,Badaax doubleneck 8/6

I wrote this "how to" article posted on the Emando.com website detailing the conversion of a mini-strat to an electric octave mandolin. You could use the same techniques on many different conversions:

http://www.emando.com/builders_activ...structions.htm
    rudy44

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rudy44 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by rudy44 View Post
    I wrote this "how to" article posted on the Emando.com website detailing the conversion of a mini-strat to an electric octave mandolin. You could use the same techniques on many different conversions:

http://www.emando.com/builders_activ...structions.htm
    Wow very cool .Very nice to see this is being done .Im going to attempt doing a tenor guitar pretty much the same way but using a kit. Dave