Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Collings

Default Collings

Jonesing (mas) really bad for a nice MT2 with an Engelmann top. I really enjoy my wide nut Northfield NF5s. It’s plenty loud, plays great with a nice punchy balanced tone. Have always had a soft spot for A’s especially Collings. Damn MAS. Lp
    J.Lane Pryce

2. The following members say thank you to Lane Pryce for this post:

Default Re: Collings

I know the feeling. I have a 2009 that I dearly love to play.
    Keep an eye on the classifieds. Too, look over at Music Emporium. They often have some REALLY nice Collings mandolins.
    Enjoy the search!
    Eric Hanson
    Click #016/ Born on 2/29/08 - Sold to the next Conservator of this great mandolin!
    The search has ceased! (At least for now)
    Collings A-Style
    White #29R : Oh my!! This one is so AWESOME!!

4. The following members say thank you to Eric Hanson for this post:

Blog Entries

I love my MT. It has a gloss top and glossy headstock, with white binding and a wide nut. So comfortable to play! Not an MT2, but I love the tone and it has so much sound and sustain that I sold my Flatiron Festival F5 to buy a Martin 000-28. Those MT2's are so pretty with the bling and the wood grade and finish. Just beautiful shape and with the haircut headstock. I say, "Go for it, Lane!"

Worlds ok-ist mando playr Zach Wilson's Avatar

I played a gentleman's MT at a jam not too long ago. It sounded and played excellent! It stacked up well against my Weber and actually I think it sounded "sweeter".

Quote Originally Posted by lflngpicker View Post
    I love my MT. It has a gloss top and glossy headstock, with white binding and a wide nut. So comfortable to play! Not an MT2, but I love the tone and it has so much sound and sustain that I sold my Flatiron Festival F5 to buy a Martin 000-28. Those MT2's are so pretty with the bling and the wood grade and finish. Just beautiful shape and with the haircut headstock. I say, "Go for it, Lane!"
    I completely agree - do not overlook MTs. I thought I wanted an MT2 until I heard my MT. Once I heard the MT, I had to have it, and the thought of the MT2 went out the window! Plus the MTs are cheaper!

Quote Originally Posted by LadysSolo View Post
    I completely agree - do not overlook MTs. I thought I wanted an MT2 until I heard my MT. Once I heard the MT, I had to have it, and the thought of the MT2 went out the window! Plus the MTs are cheaper!
    I felt that the neck of the MT was more comfortable than the MT2. Might just be me. I know the sound of my MT is very hard to beat.
    Ray Dearstone #009 D1A (1999)
    Skip Kelley #063 Offset Two Point (2017)
    Arches #9 A Style (2005)
    Bourgeois M5A (2022)
    Hohner and Seydel Harmonicas (various keys)

"Heck, Jimmy Martin don't even believe in Santy Claus!"

Alas, due to a shallow soul, this man needs a scroll.

There is a sweet torrefied MT 0 at Gryphon right now. Actually two or three nice A styles and a Northfield. All of them have those banjo rims humming in sympathetic vibration. You would have to take them into a back room to hear the mandolins true sound.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

i've always been a huge fan of the MT, and especially because of the englemann top. for me, the englemann top Collings had a more warm round tone.
    A while back i took delivery of a MT with a torrefied sitka top. I really like this mandolin, more than probably any mandolin i've owned, and i've had some very nice well playing mandolins. Here's a recent video of an MT with a torrefied top at elderlys, this is very reminiscent of how mine sounds as well. It has a little more of everything that drew me to englemann.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=Met1hYuLi8Y

Despite what the guy at Elderly calls it, that looks to be an MT2
    Last edited by Russ Jordan; Jan-20-2019 at 11:37am.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Russ Jordan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Russ Jordan View Post
    Binding on the back.
    Arches #9 A Style (2005)
    Bourgeois M5A (2022)

Agreed. The fancy headstock inlay is a giveaway.

Quote Originally Posted by darylcrisp View Post
    i've always been a huge fan of the MT, and especially because of the englemann top. for me, the englemann top Collings had a more warm round tone.
    A while back i took delivery of a MT with a torrefied sitka top. I really like this mandolin, more than probably any mandolin i've owned, and i've had some very nice well playing mandolins. Here's a recent video of an MT with a torrefied top at elderlys, this is very reminiscent of how mine sounds as well. It has a little more of everything that drew me to englemann.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=Met1hYuLi8Y

I have a Johnny Adams two-point with a wide-grained Torrefied Sitka spruce top and Torrefied Curly Maple sides and neck. The sound is everything i look for in a mandolin.
    Arches #9 A Style (2005)
    Bourgeois M5A (2022)

yes, that is a MT2 in the elderly video. I should have pointed that out i guess, but i was mainly wanting to give the OP a good soundclip of the torrefied sitka-and felt this video did.
    I once had a MT2 V (varnish finish), adi top, had all the bells and whistles, but it was too bright for my taste. Sold it and returned to a stock englemann top MT(satin finish all around).
    I remember seeing the Green Cards years ago, and enjoyed the playing and sound of Kym Warner. In talking to him, he said his mandolin was a Collings MT2 with varnish and all the extras of pretty things, but he had requested englemann on the top as he liked that tone better. Here is an old Collings video of Kym and his englemann top MT2 V.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23P3T251DZQ

i have no idea the current cost of the MT2 V, but i'd wager to say in the $5000 range(they usually have waverlys and that adds to the cost-and imo the aggravation-not a fan). These new torrefied sitka top MT's are huge tone and looks, imo, and i think will give more back in tone(and looks if you like the dark finish) than the higher priced MT2, and leave about $2000 in your pocket(or her purse-lol) if you can keep it hid.
    pointing this out for the OP, been there, done it, and i think these base torrefied sitka top models are the ticket.
    The shop i purchased from told me they thought the sitka works best with the torrefication in the collings line, based on the models they have had and heard. I'm thinking i read something along that line in an article regarding Collings using it on mandolins-i'll try to dig that up when i have time, can't remember exactly where i read that.
    definitely go spend hands on time if you have access, the only true way to find out and i'm sure you know that.
    good luck, and keep us posted
    d

“yes, that is a MT2 in the elderly video. I should have pointed that out i guess, but i was mainly wanting to give the OP a good soundclip of the torrefied sitka-and felt this video did. ”

wouldn’t the MT2 have a red spruce top?

The MT2 is a different animal, especially with a torrified top. I play with an accordion player, and the extra volume comes in handy. While the Sitka is nice it doesn’t have the same volume or trebles. As for the MT2v, I think they are worth every penny and the wait time is significant now. I’d put them right up there with the top tier of boo-tique builders.

You can’t make a comprehensive judgement off videos. While it’s not easy to always do the comparison my Collings mania has allowed me to develop a pretty good level of experience to make a fair assessment of the models. Although I’m waiting on an all torrified MT2v to fill out my sample.

Torrified Sitka is only available on an MT. The MT2 is indeed Adirondack.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mandobar For This Useful Post:

Why are there so many Collings mandolins up for sale if they are so good ? I don't understand.

Dave H
    Eastman 615 mandola
    2011 Weber Bitteroot A5
    2012 Weber Bitteroot F5
    Eastman MD 915V
    Gibson F9
    2016 Capek ' Bob ' standard scale tenor banjo
    Ibanez Artist 5 string
    2001 Paul Shippey oval hole

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hanson View Post
    Why are there so many Collings mandolins up for sale if they are so good ? I don't understand.

Dave H
    Collings has made thousands of instruments. With that many in circulation, the odds are higher that one would be for sale. If you look at the percentage of made versus how many are for sale, it’s very low.

I will say this, I haven’t met a dealer yet who wouldn’t welcome one with open arms as a trade.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

“yes, that is a MT2 in the elderly video. I should have pointed that out i guess, but i was mainly wanting to give the OP a good soundclip of the torrefied sitka-and felt this video did. ”

wouldn’t the MT2 have a red spruce top?
    Russ

MusicEmporium usually has a mix of adi or italian top Mt2 models. I haven't noticed any Italian torrefied tops myself, but i haven't been looking-have no idea if they are offering that process on the Italian. What i've read on the italian spruce is it gives a sweeter tone more like englemann, but can be driven harder. I have not played this in a mandolin, but a lot of high end fingerstyle guitar luthiers use it due to its warm but powerful tone qualities.
    I like Italian spruce on a guitar.

does Collings ship the MT2 models in the sleek higher price vintage case?
    if so, that would also account for some higher cost.

I've been thinking of one of those vintage cases for a while, anyone have one in the A style?
    If so, how much does it weigh sans mandolin?

*sorry Lane, don't mean to highjack your thread, thought i'd ask while its on my mind*
    back to the original thread now.
    thanks
    d

Daryl, they aren’t making any more mandolin cases for the foreseeable future. They are great cases, but take a lot of effort to make.

25. The following members say thank you to Mandobar for this post:

Russ

MusicEmporium usually has a mix of adi or italian top Mt2 models. I haven't noticed any Italian torrefied tops myself, but i haven't been looking-have no idea if they are offering that process on the Italian. What i've read on the italian spruce is it gives a sweeter tone more like englemann, but can be driven harder. I have not played this in a mandolin, but a lot of high end fingerstyle guitar luthiers use it due to its warm but powerful tone qualities.
    I like Italian spruce on a guitar.
    Daryl,
    I was just confused as to why the video sample was supposed to demonstrate what torrified sitka sounded like, since I have not heard of any MT2's with a sitka top.
    Russ Jordan

does Collings ship the MT2 models in the sleek higher price vintage case?
    if so, that would also account for some higher cost.

I've been thinking of one of those vintage cases for a while, anyone have one in the A style?
    If so, how much does it weigh sans mandolin?

*sorry Lane, don't mean to highjack your thread, thought i'd ask while its on my mind*
    back to the original thread now.
    thanks
    d

Daryl,
    I have an A style vintage case and love it. The only scales I have are bathroom scales and the case does not weigh enough to register.
    Russ Jordan

Quote Originally Posted by Mandobar View Post
    Daryl, they aren’t making any more mandolin cases for the foreseeable future. They are great cases, but take a lot of effort to make.
    thanks Mary
    if you hear of one in the A style for sale-or know of any of the shops you frequent that have one, please let me know.
    thank you
    d

Daryl,
    I have an A style vintage case and love it. The only scales I have are bathroom scales and the case does not weigh enough to register.
    thanks Russ.
    and thank you(and Mary) for pointing out the misinformation in the above video. I was in a haste and had "torrefied tops" in my head when I posted that-definitely do not want to lead anyone down a road with misinformation(and that's what had happened).
    Hopefully I haven't trashed this thread, or Lanes thoughts.
    d

Lane
    here you go with the MT torrefied Sitka top. for me, it has everything good about the englemann, but more of it regarding clarity and sweetness, with nothing harsh or brash.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLUc7nTVgDg