Thread: Resonance Bar

Default Resonance Bar

I know this is not a mandolin but the concept could work on a mandolin, if someone were so inclined.

I know that Joseph Bohmann, the crazed Chicago maker, used resonating metal rods in his violins, mandolins and maybe guitars, too. His patent is here.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	US1128218.pdf 
Views:	61 
Size:	197.6 KB 
ID:	174039

I was going to add it to this Virzi thread but I think it is really a different concept.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Default Re: Resonance Bar

I had visions of a saloon with a really good band!
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Timbofood For This Useful Post:

Name:	100_3359.jpg 
Views:	185 
Size:	478.2 KB 
ID:	174040 here is a pic of the sound bar from a 1780s violin that that I saved from the wood stove.. the ends did not go all the way to the edges.. still giving enjoyment......
    kterry

I think the use of that type of bar (installed slightly differently) in a mandolin would be to reduce the string force trying to pull the tail block over the top (that may be a cause of the bulging that can occur between the bridge and the tail block). That bar would also seem to allow the top to have less compression force acting on it which might have a positive impact on the sound. It would also seem to allow lighter tonebars as their need to stiffen the top would be reduced. That would mean the top would have less mass which would seem quite beneficial.

Haven’t made an instrument like that to verify that notion but I’m sure someone has.

Just my random $.02.
    Last edited by Bill McCall; Jan-16-2019 at 4:59pm.
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

Quote Originally Posted by buckhorn View Post

ID:	174040 here is a pic of the sound bar from a 1780s violin that that I saved from the wood stove.. the ends did not go all the way to the edges.. still giving enjoyment......
    Typically the ends of violin bass bars terminate 40 mm from the edge of the plate.
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

7. The following members say thank you to Charles E. for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by buckhorn View Post

ID:	174040 here is a pic of the sound bar from a 1780s violin that that I saved from the
    wood stove.. the ends did not go all the way to the edges.. still giving enjoyment......

You are confusing the bass bar, which is something that all violins have, with the "resonance bar" shown by the OP (Jim Garber) in a viola. There is virtually no credible evidence that "resonance bars" work to improve the sound or the acoustic efficiency, and that's why violins don't tend to have these.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sblock For This Useful Post:

This is just another of off-ramp creations in the superhighway of luthiery that I find so very interesting. Actually the fiddle I play designed by a Brooklyn patent attorney around 1915 have a dowel stick running down the center but i think that that serves more to reinforce the structure of the instrument than to influence the sound.

Quote Originally Posted by sblock View Post
    There is virtually no credible evidence that "resonance bars" work to improve the sound or the acoustic efficiency, and that's why violins don't tend to have these.
    Of course, the same could easily be said about Virzi tone producers, double topped instruments and the oddball Gelas instruments, yet people still make them. I found this viola on the rarities page of this violin website. Take a look at the other oddballs they have there. A few pictures below.

Name:	1_922.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	96.3 KB 
ID:	174049 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0_663.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	86.4 KB 
ID:	174050 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1_850.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	133.2 KB 
ID:	174051 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1_107.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	133.0 KB 
ID:	174052
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jim Garber For This Useful Post: