Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Non Mandolin Jazz

Default Re: Non Mandolin Jazz

Don’t forget another Jazz instrument, the human voice. The Jazz vocalists are important members of the Jazz family.
    Start, of course, with Louis Armstrong. He set the standard for which all others are judged. Armstrong sang the Music with his heart & soul, infused with warmth & humor.
    Bessie Smith, Jimmy Rushing were great Blues stylists. Billie Holiday did wonderful interpretations of pop songs. Nat Cole another great stylist. Grand Jazz divas, Ella & Sarah, I was fortunate to hear live & they were swinging & elegant. I did hear Carmen McRae live & she was great. I seldom hear her name mentioned.
    Jon Hendricks, Eddie Jefferson & others developed interesting vocal approaches to the idiom. I loved to hear Mose Allison. He was an eccentric singer, homespun country Blues philosopher. Clark Terry had a unique “mumbling “ scat style. Jumping back to the Art Ensemble of Chicago, they did a track with Lester Bowie’s wife, R&B singer, Fontella Bass, Theme de Yo-Yo. Outstanding.
    My favorite Jazz singer, is Chicago’s own Joe Williams. (Not Delta Blues singer, Big Joe Williams). He could sing Blues, ballads, swingers, & scat. He could ad lib talk thru songs. His breakthrough was with Count Basie. You can check out his interpretations of Blues & Standards on a 2fer collection Count Basie Swings/Joe Williams sings & Sings Standards. Check it out. Another Big Band recording Joe did, was a session with the Thad Jones/Mel Lewis Jazz Orch. It is a master work. There is a set at a Newport Jazz fest with Coleman Hawkins & Clark Terry. Good stuff. All kinds of recordings of Joe are available. One of my favorite versions of Green Dolphin Street is Joe singing it with the Adderley brothers. I saw him many times in Chicago, usually a Trio. Though hearing Joe doing a reunion with Count Basie in New York at Lincoln center was a highlight.
    Of course, Frankie is a singer of note. There are two live recordings (Paris & Australia) of him with a small 6 piece group (both contain vibes). They are swinging sets. Mr. Bennett is still going strong.
    Cassandra Wilson, Dee Dee Bridgewater, Kurt Elling are on the scene & worth checking out.
    If there is a tune you want to learn, try & find a good vocal version.

Joe B

P.S. talking about Lou Donaldson, he’s 92 & I think is still playing, saw him again just a couple years ago.
    A Splendid Time is Guaranteed for All

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mandopops For This Useful Post:

A couple of my favorites by Stitt are the sessions with Barry Harris, Bob Cranshaw and Billy Higgins - Tune Up and Constellation. The earlier sessions with Bud, McGhee, Johnson et al are essential.

Another guitarist I don't know's been mentioned is Grant Green who played on and led countless sessions with the greats.

Also don't forget vocalist Leon Thomas. And Herbie Nichols, Evans, LaFaro, Ornette, Sunny Murray (and everyone else connected with the Aylers and Cecil Taylor...like everyone on the Conquistador/Unit Structures sessions).

Jimmy Lyons
    Eddie Gale (Arkestra member)
    Ken McKintyre
    Henry Grimes
    Alan Silva
    Andrew Cyrille

And as well, virtually everyone playing with Ornette are innovators as well: David Izenzon, Charles Moffet, Milford Graves, Archie Shepp.. Of course it's mostly outre players, but in my view essential in jazz history.

A prominent leader of the New York scene over the past 20+ years, William Parker..

*Green's, Idle Moments, with Henderson and Hutcherson is now on ytube I see..
    Last edited by catmandu2; Jan-22-2019 at 11:34am.

And I have to give some love to Birth of the Cool, Konitz, Tristano, George Russell.. Ellington, through Mingus, to Sun Ra could distill it all for me. Jazz supported soooo many artists/theorists, schools. The whole European scene was all about it, exploiting the new idioms. I like James B Ulmer, and Ornette, and Zorn...all these bands employed and fostered leaders and innovators since the beginning - sidemen from Dodds, Hodges, Gilmore...

Sonny Clark is a fave for his trio recordings. Mention was made of Grant Green; this is great Grant Green - The Complete Quartets With Sonny Clark.

And the West Coast produced some great 50's/60's-era collaborations - Shelly Manne and His Men, Shorty Rogers, etc.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Folder.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	53.8 KB 
ID:	174199  

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AlanN For This Useful Post:

Love it. Sonny is a favorite, love his work with the blue note crew as well.

A pretty good blues record with Jackie McLean, Art Farmer and the section https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3FLd1eBmTU

Hank Jones, Gospel, … I think my favorite blues is Lady Day and Mal Waldron.
    Last edited by catmandu2; Jan-22-2019 at 1:56pm.

Oval holes are cool David Lewis's Avatar

I agree with the poster who preferred the solidbody jazz guitarists. And indeed, the less 'pure' they are, the more I appreciate them. Wes was great. Wes's copyists, not so much. I can say the same about Jimi, Eddie, James burton, etc.

My two favourite jazz guitarists are mike stern and Bill frisell. Both bring a different sensibility to jazz that I like, and give me lots of great ideas. Danny Gatton, on redneck jazz explosion is awesome too.

Toots thielemann on the harmonica is another great non mando jazz artist.

And for the poster who mentions vocalists, I’d add bobby mcferrin to your eminent list.
    JBovier ELS; Epiphone MM-50 VN; Epiphone MM-40L; Gretsch New Yorker G9310; Washburn M1SDLB;

Fender Nashville Deluxe Telecaster; Squier Modified Vintage Cabronita Telecaster; Gretsch 5420T; Fender Tim Armstrong Hellcat: Washburn Banjo B9; Ibanez RB 5string; Ibanez RB 4 string bass

Pedalboard for ELS: Morley Cry baby Miniwah - Tuner - EHX Soul Food Overdrive - EHX Memory Toy analog Delay
    Fender Blues Jr Tweed; Fender Greta;

9. The following members say thank you to David Lewis for this post:

Wes was great. Wes's copyists, not so much.
    hmmm....Emily Remler, Pat Martino, George Benson - all 'copyists' (not sure what that even means), at one time or another...and all great, imo.

Toots thielemann on the harmonica is another great non mando jazz artist.
    Toots also a fine guitarist.

Many a great guitar:

Billy Bauer
    The Raneys (Father Jimmy, son Doug)
    Howard Roberts
    Joe Pass
    Barney Kessel
    Herb Ellis
    The Pizzarellis - Bucky and John
    Joe Puma
    Chuck Wayne
    John Pisano
    Charlie Byrd
    plus many others, including many more recent cats

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AlanN For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by David Lewis View Post
    I agree with the poster who preferred the solidbody jazz guitarists. And indeed, the less 'pure' they are, the more I appreciate them. Wes was great. Wes's copyists, not so much. I can say the same about Jimi, Eddie, James burton, etc.
    Well, Wes influenced everyone.

I prefer modern styles too, and am more apt to be listening to Fred Frith, Ribot or Cline than Jimmy Raney, but every generation has its "greats." The moderns assimilate what preceded, and expanded. The vocabulary is extant, not extinct.

If it's "processed" guitar you like, there's a whooole bunch of stuff since Jimi and Eddie..

13. The following members say thank you to catmandu2 for this post:

Oval holes are cool David Lewis's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AlanN View Post
    hmmm....Emily Remler, Pat Martino, George Benson - all 'copyists' (not sure what that even means), at one time or another...and all great, imo.

All of those are great. Maybe imitator a better word.
    JBovier ELS; Epiphone MM-50 VN; Epiphone MM-40L; Gretsch New Yorker G9310; Washburn M1SDLB;

Fender Nashville Deluxe Telecaster; Squier Modified Vintage Cabronita Telecaster; Gretsch 5420T; Fender Tim Armstrong Hellcat: Washburn Banjo B9; Ibanez RB 5string; Ibanez RB 4 string bass

Pedalboard for ELS: Morley Cry baby Miniwah - Tuner - EHX Soul Food Overdrive - EHX Memory Toy analog Delay
    Fender Blues Jr Tweed; Fender Greta;

Anybody mention the great Bill Frisell yet?

Frisell is the master at embellishing the melody. His Fretboard Journal videos are great examples of his recent style. A style that can be translated to mandolin.

A lesson that may be finally sinking in for me: Internalize the melody; learn it everywhere on your fretboard then soloing becomes easier.

16. The following members say thank you to Perry for this post:

I like Frisell, he's very accessible - good for mndln, as you say.

I like a little more edge, re guitarists:
    I like Jeff Parker (another AACM member) and Joe Morris. Lately I've been listening to Susan Alcorn, and Mary Halverson.

Definitely count be in as a member of the Bill Frisell fan club. He can play straight ahead standards with Paul Motian. He’s done Rock tunes, a Lennon tribute & Guitars in the Space age. He’s explored American roots (Frisell style) in The Willes & Nashville (Mandolin content Adam Steffey, & dobro with Jerry Douglas). Even recording film scores to Buster Keaton silent movies (Buster is a major clown idol of mine, so Frisell gets 5 extra gold stars). He did an album of movie sound trax a couple of years ago. To me, he’s about arrangements, not just play the head, solo, back to the head.

Joe B

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mandopops For This Useful Post:

...and if we're talking non-mandolin jazz, don't forget Django on his birthday!

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to John Soper For This Useful Post:

Here's some more trad and some nice playing on a great set of tunes, including some Gismonti : https://youtu.be/LjoD_Wsd43U

Quote Originally Posted by Perry View Post
    Anybody mention the great Bill Frisell yet?

Frisell is the master at embellishing the melody. His Fretboard Journal videos are great examples of his recent style. A style that can be translated to mandolin.
    Count me in as a Frisell fan too. I'm also a big fan of Julian Lage's. I've been listening to him avidly ever since I accidentally stumbled into a set of his with Chris Eldridge at Wintergrass a few years ago. That was more "folky" than "jazzy" but there was jazz too -- and I've been following him ever since then.

David

A cool guitar vid ; Burrell, Kessel, Green: https://youtu.be/_4jMQNJFPO4

26. The following members say thank you to catmandu2 for this post:

AlanN 

...and speaking of Kenny

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AlanN For This Useful Post:

Thanks for that post, Alan. I've got several Kenny Burrell discs, but not this track. I've got one disc of Kenny playing solo guitar. Just sublime.
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.

30. The following members say thank you to Rick Jones for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Jones View Post
    Thanks for that post, Alan. I've got several Kenny Burrell discs, but not this track. I've got one disc of Kenny playing solo guitar. Just sublime.
    It's on this

Name:	folder.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	22.1 KB 
ID:	174226  

32. The following members say thank you to AlanN for this post:

Yes, I’ll join the Burrel fan club with Alan, Rick. One of the greatest Jazz Guitarists. He just oozes the Blues.
    Back in high school in the 60’s, I was solidly digging the Rock sounds of the day, Beatles, Dylan, etc. and my Blues journey was just beginning with Butterfield & Bloom & the British Bluesers. Some how during that time, probably through a friend of my older brother, 2 records found their way into our collection, Wes & Jimmy, dynamic Duo & Burrel’s Midnight Blue. Wow! They were mind blowing & ear expanding. We knew these guys were operating on a whole different level. I still listen to those records today (still have the Vinyl).

Joe B

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mandopops For This Useful Post:

Other KB faves:

Name:	cover.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	69.4 KB 
ID:	174228   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tommy Flanagan,John Coltrane,Kenny Burrell - The Cats.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	21.6 KB 
ID:	174229  

catmandu2: A couple of my favorites by Stitt are the sessions with Barry Harris, Bob Cranshaw and Billy Higgins - Tune Up and Constellation.

Yup, those were the albums (vinyl, of course) that did it for me. Quicksilver!
    Will Patton

Stop the chop!
    Blog Entries

Although I improvise a lot and have written jazzlike tunes I'm in no way a jazz musician. It never was my aspiration - as I don't play the piano my harmonic knowledge is too shallow. But most of the music I listen to can be labeled jazz.

To me the most expressive instruments are the tenor saxophone and violin.

On the latter instrument my favorites from an older generation include Svend Asmussen and Stéphane Grappelli. It was their joint record "Two of a Mind" that put me on the jazz track 50 years ago. More recent favorites of mine include Jason Anick and Benjamin Schmid (who is also a classical virtuoso).

Possibly the most inventive tenor player today is Joshua Redman. From the same generation I would list Jeff Coffin, esp. his wonderful albums for Compass, Commonality and Go-Round. Another interesting name is Marius Neset esp.for his trio album with Morten Lund and Lars Danielsson a couple of years ago, recorded in just a few hours. Older favorites include Lester Young, Sonny Rollins, Stan Getz, Zoot Sims and Scott Hamilton.

On the guitar, my main instrument, I particularly dig Frank Vignola, Julian Lage and Martin Taylor for their acoustic work. Gypsy swing of course showcases the acoustic guitar, and I dig those who have broadened the idiom, e.g., John Jorgenson and Olli Soikkeli.
    Electric: Barney Kessel for his biting attack and harmonic sense; Bucky Pizzarelli for his duo projects with Zoot Sims and Scott Hamilton.

I'm not crazy about piano in standard trio settings - I own exactly one album in that genre, Innertrio/8 Bitar, with Jan Johansson (1931-1968). Check out Rebus on YouTube, a wonder of economy and form. I often feel that trio pianists neglect or dwarf the left hand but that objection certainly does not apply here ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgIjhzG96ko

I like some piano players for their solo or duo work, e.g., Keith Jarrett, Chick Corea, Kenny Barron (with Stan Getz), Art Lande (with Jan Garbarek or Peter Sommer). Nat Cole contributed beautifully in non-standard trio settings with Lester Young (and Red Callender, bass, or Buddy Rich, drums).

On alto sax I dig some of the older cats like Johnny Hodges and Benny Carter. Parker. Lou Donaldson. I like Ornette Coleman's early work but he got stuck on his pet licks and endless sequencing about 1966.

Trumpet: Clifford Brown, of course. Miles Davis, but he was so much more, leader, composer, conceiver, etc. His treatment of standards in the early 60's borders on the surreal.

I'm not crazy about vibraphone, organ, Fender-Rhodes, "live electronics" and voice.

38. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ralph johansson For This Useful Post: