Thread: the mysterious slipping string

Default the mysterious slipping string

A guitarist friend complained that his .012" high E was occasionally and unpredictably dropping in pitch. I checked the tuner capstan and gears, and the ball-end tailpiece attachment - nothing there. I played it hard for awhile, and finally on re-tuning I caught it in the act. I viewed the tailpiece under magnification, and saw that the string had been unwrapping itself through all the twists and around the ball. First time for me!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	unwound.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	249.1 KB 
ID:	174006

Blog Entries

Default Re: the mysterious slipping string

I've had it happen a few times on loop-end mandolin E strings. It's funny that even though it has happened before, I still don't figure it out until much later.
    New to mando? Click this link -->Newbies to join us at the Newbies Social Group.

Just send an email to rob.meldrum@gmail.com with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and he will email you a copy of his ebook for free (free to all mandolincafe members).

My website and blog: honketyhank.com

Confused... or?
    Over the Hudson & thru the woods from NYC

Caught in the act. Nicely done, John!
    - Ed

"Then one day we weren't as young as before
    Our mistakes weren't quite so easy to undo
    But by all those roads, my friend, we've travelled down
    I'm a better man for just the knowin' of you."
    - Ian Tyson

Happened to me once before; the more I tightened the string the lower the tone went until it gracefully slipped off

Wow. I’ve never had them unwind like that but I have had the string break at the ball.

============
    ~Music self-played is happiness self-made
    覧覧覧覧覧
    Loar LM-590
    Kentucky KM-272

This one is new to me, but thanks for posting. Might help solve a mystery some day!!
    Jim D

It’s a testament to the reliability and consistency of our string choices that failures like this can be tough to figure out and are considered interesting news when it happens. I’ve had this happen a couple of times, but on older strings that needed changing anyway. I can also only remember 2 or 3 times that I’ve ever had a new string break when tuning up. Never the high E string, and 2 of them were operator error; I was in a hurry and turning the wrong tuner ;(
    Chuck

This happened to me quite a while ago. I looked at it as you did and put it down to the fact that every turn of the tuner one way unwound the loop end the other.
    Cotton is the same when used on a sewing machine depending on which way the bobbin turns can unwind the twist on the cotton.
    I never fail at anything, I just succeed at doing things that never work....

Fylde Touchstone Walnut Mandolin.
    Gibson Alrite Model D.

It is common. So common, in fact, that touring techs will apply a bit of solder to the winding and clean each string with alcohol when changing strings before a show.
    VerneAndru.com | oKee.ComX

- ---==< V >==--- -

I've had that happen with D'Addario strings on mandolin, banjo, and fiddle. Equipment maintenance in the manufacturing process is essential to good quality strings. It is an occasional beef with that brand.

ive experienced this as well as floyd rose setups where u do not use the ball ..if the string is not perfect it will slip out .. also when i restring the mandolin i gently close the loops a bit with small pliers .. this reduces the initial string stretch allot as most of it is the loops pulling tight ( i can usually stretch in fresh strings in 20-30 min )