Thread: Kentucky km505

Default Kentucky km505

Sorry...I know this has been covered a thousand times, but I'm new here and brand new to mandolin.

Trying to get the most instrument for my limited budget and lean towards a preowned because I'm not so worried about cosmetic blemishes.

I started an earlier thread on a used Eastman 615...earlier model with no pickups.

I'm also looking at a Kentucky km505. This is the newer model with the pickguard...supposedly made in the same workshop as the masters. This is not used per say, but a floor demo from a music shop, and the say they will set it up to factory specs (whatever that means) and it will have the 1 year manufacturers warrantee.

Asking 450 with no case.

Good deal? I know its a A as opposed to that Eastman 615 which is an F. But also about 300 cheaper.

Thoughts? Advice??? Opinions???

Default Re: Kentucky km505

Both of these are nice instruments, but we are not apples to apples. At $450 you are also in the price range of a new Eastman MD305, which is apples to apples.

As a side note (and also a joke)... A factory spec Kentucky is not setup!
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

Thanks Robert.

Given your expert opinion...apples to apples...Kentucky 505 or Eastman 305?

Or...what should be a fair price for that used KM 505?

The Kentucky will likely have a more traditional sound, where the Eastman will likely sound more modern. Both are great instruments though.

I have a slight preference for Eastmans. No wrong choice here though.

Re: Pricing

Kentuckys have had price increases lately. I imagine there are still some dealers at the older prices, with some reflecting the new prices. I am not selling them right now, so I haven't kept up on current street prices.
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

I'm a new player too and got a newer KM505 from the cafe classifieds. I have no frame of reference for the Eastmans other than the praise I've read on the forums. I will say the 505 is a nice mandolin and I am pleased with my purchase, but the only mandolins I could compare it to locally were Loars and a couple of Michael Kelleys and Morgan Monroes. It was better than all of those. If you don't get scroll envy the 505 could be all you need for some time.

This Eastman just popped up in the classifieds........

https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/134076#134076

That is a good price. It won't last long.

NFI
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

I've only ever played one KM505 - in Hobgoblin Leeds a few months ago. We were shopping with one of my sons for a mandolin. He's 25 and a really good guitarist, but picked up the mandolin bug recently.

So, this not a fair assessment, but stay with me...

KM505 - decent strings, awful set-up, action way too high, and (for some weird reason) the threaded bridge height adjusters were on the top of the bridge! Looks like it had been supplied with the bridge loose, and someone in the store put it back together the wrong way!). Sound was OK, but a KM150 blew it away. We didn't buy either and drove 45 minutes to Eagle Music, Huddersfield.

Eastman 305 - Well set-up in store, new strings, bell-like tone. Loud as hell, really punchy, good bass response (rare in cheaper instruments), really comfy neck (Eastmans have recently made their necks a little larger) and also a decent bluegrass chop. It's also got great sustain. Long story short - we bought it!

Not a fair comparison, I grant you, but we were all really impressed with the 305. Don't know if that's always the case, or if this one was "special", but it's a great instrument and I can't fault it, especially for the price.

I do like Kentucky's - my wife has a lovely KM1000. I used to have an Eastman 505 ,which I moved on to get my Northfield. However, this new 305 has massive "bang for the buck".

As with all these things - try to play before buying.

Good luck!

Johnny
    Last edited by Johnny60; Jan-16-2019 at 12:31pm. Reason: Missing word!

Johnny60, a slight diversion I know, but what are your feelings of the difference between the Kentucky and Northfield. I had the chance to play a 950 back to back with an F5S, and came away thinking the Kentucky was very nice, but I would come to regret it if I didn't spend considerably more for the Northfield. I've really liked the F5s mandolins I've played.

In the end, I just built an F style, which enabled me to buy a vintage Gibson.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Hi Br1ck - in my experience, there's absolutely no contest, the Northfield wins hands down.

Kentucky Master Models are nice instruments - one old KM900 I played a few years back was stunning, but I found the fretboard just too narrow (and flat) for my hands, otherwise I'd have bought it. My wife's KM1000 is lovely - gorgeous woods with a fantastic flamed back, it's had a great set-up (including adding a compound radius and larger Evo Gold Frets, and scooping the Florida) and it's got a really sweet tone - it'd keep many a player really happy. (One thing it doesn't have is "woofy" chop).

The Northfield F5S just has "more" in terms of tone. It's louder, it's beefier, the bass response is excellent and it's also got loads of sustain for when you're doing things like crosspicking. There's a lot going on with the sound, if that makes sense. If there was one word that'd describe the Northfield, I'd say it's Authoritative.

To be fair, I haven't played many Kentucky Master Models, but those I have played have been very nice instruments, and all those who've played my wife's have been impressed by the build qualtity, the woods and the really sweet tone.

Hope this answers your question.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles E. View Post
    This Eastman just popped up in the classifieds........

https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/134076#134076

That is a good price. It won't last long.

NFI
    And it's gone....did Rabbimat get the Eastman 305?
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

I did not. It looked like a lot of the finish had been rubbed off, as I understand can be a problem with this matte finish. So it just did not feel like the instrument for me and I trusted my gut. I'm still looking. I'm sure I'll find the right one soon enough. Thanks

13. The following members say thank you to rabbimatt for this post:

I really look like that soliver's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Charles E. View Post
    And it's gone....did Rabbimat get the Eastman 305?
    That was (probably) formerly mine ...it left Atlanta today to head to a new home in Maryland... not sure if it's the same guy though.

Need to change my siggy!
    aka: Spencer
    Silverangel Econo A #429
    Soliver #001 Hand Crafted Pancake

Soliver Hand Crafted Mandolins and Mandolin Armrests
    Armrests Here -- Mandolins Here

"You can never cross the ocean unless you have the courage
    to lose sight of the shore, ...and also a boat with no holes in it.” -anonymous

15. The following members say thank you to soliver for this post: